D-Tap power for Video Assist?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Robert Cosman

D-Tap power for Video Assist?

PostFri Feb 19, 2016 10:58 pm

Hi:

I have the BM Video Assist and the small Canon batteries drain much too quickly in the field. Since I'm not familiar with the D-Tap battery systems does anyone know what D-Tap systems that will work with this unit? It is too much trouble to keep watching the battery indicator and you tend to lose your concentration on what you are filming.

Thanks,

Bob Cosman
Robert Cosman

Denny Smith

Re: D-Tap power for Video Assist?

PostSat Feb 20, 2016 5:20 am

Yes, high Sony V and Anton Bauer Gold Mount D tsp systems work,with the Video Assist. You will need a D-Tap to BMCC cable to connect the VA to a battery plate D-Tap. I use this setup with my Panny AF100 AB Gold Mount kit, works fine.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostSat Feb 20, 2016 12:54 pm

They state everywhere that the video assist is 12V only.

** I just opened the video assist to check
Because they have battery powered from a LP6 battery which is nominall 7.2Volts. They choose power regulators with an input range from 6 to 15 Volts.. Above 15 volts you will fry your VA as it will never power up again... Or at least heat up the power regulator to high temperatures shortening it's life span...

Denny what is the voltage on your Dtap ??

If the Dtap is a direct connection from a Vlock battery it can go up as high as 17 ~ 18 volts (fully charged battery)... This will kill your video assist.!!! And VOID waranty!!

On the Blackmagic Ursa it's fine as the Vlock plate has a Regulated 12V 1,5A output. But a lot of times the Dtap is not regulated, but just the Battery voltage..

There are company's that make special regulated Dtaps which have electronics inside to keep the output at 12 or 5V depending on the version you buy..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Robert Cosman

PostSat Feb 20, 2016 4:19 pm

Hi all:

I found this item called the IndiPRO Tools Power Converter D-Tap to Canon LP-E6 Dummy Battery (30") B&H # INPTLPD.

This item has a regulated output voltage to 7.2 volts which is what the VA requires. According to the two reviews, this works. And if I decide to buy this then all I would need is a large capacity battery with a charger that is within the 12 to 18 volt power range that the Indipro device requires.

What battery + charger system would you recommend based upon your experience. I want to be able to work outside and film for at least 4 hours without worrying about power cutting out. And I could leave one Canon LP6 battery in the VA as an emergency backup.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Bob
Robert Cosman

Denny Smith

PostSat Feb 20, 2016 5:12 pm

Thanks Daniel, My DTap on the AB plate is 14.6 VDC on a fully charged battery. In my earlier post on using a DTap with the VA, I stated the voltage for the VA was 12-15VDC. Thanks for confirming this.

For unregulated or higher voltage units, Switronic also made a 12-VDC regulated DTap cord, called the "Magic XP" originally for a early Mini converters which were 12vdc input only. I also have the Indie pro Canon E6 regulated Dummy battery cord, while it fits the MicromStudio camera, it does not fit very well in the VA, hard to get it mounted. The DTap cord works better.
Last edited by Denny Smith on Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

arencher

PostSat Feb 20, 2016 6:41 pm

You can power the Video Assist from a fully charged Gold Mount or V Mount battery. The DC connector is a stabdard 2.5mm barrel. You can find 2.5mm DC barrel cables here: mediablackout.net/products/dc-barrel-power-cable

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Denny Smith

PostSat Feb 20, 2016 6:46 pm

As long as they are 14.5vdc batteries, yes you can. But I would double check the voltage at the DTap first, to be sure it is below 15vdc.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Robert Cosman

PostSat Feb 20, 2016 11:49 pm

Hi all:

There is such a wealth of information on this site that it blows my mind. So many people willing to help those in need that may not be up to the same speed as others. Thanks.

The "Magic XP" kit as found on one supplier Switronix Powertap BlackMagic Converter Cable w/ XP-L90S Battery and Charger Kit is avalilable for $409.95. I will purchase this based upon all the reviews from the kind people willing to help.

I was about ready to go to the local auto store and buy a car battery and get an assistant to follow me around with it just for power. ( just kidding ).

My only mistake is that I'm in the wrong business. A career in batteries with Stock Options would yield more profit, maybe? Thanks again and if I have any more questions I'll be sure to ask.

Bob
Robert Cosman

David Patterson

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 4:17 pm

For simple run and gun shooting without a existing battery distribution system, would the BMVA be safe to operate with one of the battery systems that are used for recharging laptops and cell phones? I'm thinking something like the units from RAV Power or Anker, available on Amazon for $100 or less.

http://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-23000mAh ... lt+battery

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-20000mAh-Mu ... lt+battery

Denny Smith

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 8:16 pm

Safe, yes. Practical, no. I,would,look mm to something like,IndiePro camera battery pods/plates, that use the larger Video camera batteries, like the Sony L battery, which is available up to 4000-4400 MA. These plates,have,several,mounting options including rails attachments and a simple 1/4x20 screw connection, to attach the battery to your rig.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

David Patterson

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 9:28 pm

Denny - Thanks for taking time to reply. The IndyPro battery pod looks interesting, but they use LP-E6 batteries, which is what I'm trying to avoid using due to their very low capacity.

A V-Mount type battery distribution system is too bulky and expensive for me. I may consider the Atomos Power Station, but at $300 to just hold SONY batteries, it seems a bit over priced.

Denny Smith

PostThu Feb 25, 2016 6:28 pm

David, IndiePro makes a Sony L BP bsttery plate also, I have this ine in a dual mount config. It was originally for,the Pocket camera, I just changed the plug for the BMCC type plug, so it works with the VA or Micro camera. B&H carries most models IndiPro makes, make your search very general, bum not specifying a camera make, and the various options should pop up.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Emilian Dechev

PostWed May 10, 2017 9:30 am

I have been trying to power the 5" Video Assist, from the Ursa Mini's regulated 12v dtap port. It works for a while, but then it switches off. I wonder, is the 12v from camera plate, not enough?

Xtreemtec

PostWed May 10, 2017 1:02 pm

Is the power of the ursa dtap (regulated 12V shut down??) or is your VA not charging / power supplied and running off the batteries.. As it then will go down after 45 minutes or so because batterieds are empty.
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostWed May 10, 2017 4:18 pm

The UM DTap power is regulated and comes from the camera's DC/DC power board, which sounds like is giving the camera priority on power, as the battery drains down to its limit.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Emilian Dechev

PostWed May 10, 2017 6:09 pm

No batteries in the bmva, only the cable. It works only if the v-mount is at 100% and even then it switches off after 20 seconds.

So it seems the regulated 12v is not enough because camera has priority. Then going directly to the v-mount is also a bad idea, cause the 16v is too much.

So there is no normal adequate way to d-tap power the bmva?

Denny Smith

PostThu May 11, 2017 4:53 pm

You can get a DTap to 12VDC regulated cable like the IndiePro DTap/BMCC cable, which I have used, to connect the VA directly to a DTap on the battery.

But with a fully charged battery of at lest 75watts on the UM, the Camera V mount plate 12-VDC connection should work, if it is cutting out that quickly, I would contact BM Suppirt Office in your area, something is wrong here. The V-mount camera battery should be able to power both the camera and VA for at least an hour or more.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Emilian Dechev

PostThu May 11, 2017 4:54 pm

Update: the bm v-lock plate was faulty. They swapped it under warranty and the bmva seems to be working now.
Thanks Denny :)

Denny Smith

PostFri May 12, 2017 2:17 am

Good :!: Glad you got it sorted. Had to be an issue with either the plate, or the camera Battery plate connection cable.
Cheers.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Anton Kasatkin

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 8:12 pm

Hello Denny!
My Video Assist power directly from D-Tap from IDX DUO-C190 it has DC 16,8-11 V The manufacturer indicates this in the diagram that it is possible to connect various devices.
Will it work properly and do not fry?
Thank you
Canon 6d 24-70 f4 USM 70-200 f2.8 Canon 100-400 mm BMVA 5" ZOOM H6 SENNHEISER 122 G3 SSD Samsung 850 Pro 512 Gb IDX DUO-C190 UltraStudio Mini Recorder Lacie 2BIG 12TB
BMCC 2,5 K Ef Samyang Xeen CF 16mm T2,6 Tilta Nucleus M Full kit

Anton Kasatkin

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 4:24 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Good :!: Glad you got it sorted. Had to be an issue with either the plate, or the camera Battery plate connection cable.
Cheers.

Hello Denny!
My Video Assist power directly from D-Tap from IDX DUO-C190 it has DC 16,8-11 V The manufacturer indicates this in the diagram that it is possible to connect various devices.
Thank you
Attachments
d-tap assist.png
d-tap assist.png (196.47 KiB) Viewed 20260 times
Canon 6d 24-70 f4 USM 70-200 f2.8 Canon 100-400 mm BMVA 5" ZOOM H6 SENNHEISER 122 G3 SSD Samsung 850 Pro 512 Gb IDX DUO-C190 UltraStudio Mini Recorder Lacie 2BIG 12TB

Xtreemtec

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 4:55 pm

Is no problem..

Denny Smith

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 8:28 pm

I agree, IDX is an excellent company, and gets their designs right. You should not have any issues. It was the inexpensive Asian knock offs, that were problematic.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Anton Kasatkin

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 8:47 pm

Denny Smith wrote:I agree, IDX is an excellent company, and gets their designs right. You should not have any issues. It was the inexpensive Asian knock offs, that were problematic.
Cheers

Powering the camera is very important
Thanks

Luca Rocchini

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 6:36 pm

Anton Kasatkin wrote:
Denny Smith wrote:Good :!: Glad you got it sorted. Had to be an issue with either the plate, or the camera Battery plate connection cable.
Cheers.

Hello Denny!
Thank you

Hi Anton!
What D-tap cable have you bought to use on your IDX batteries and BM video assist? I have IDX batteries too and I'm in search for the right cable.
I also wonder how long one battery last powering both the Mini Pro and the video assist.

Cheers
Luca
Luca Rocchini DOP

URSA MINI PRO 4.6K, EF, PL, SSD Recorder, BM VA 4K, Nikon AIS

http://www.lucarocchini.com/

Anton Kasatkin

PostSat Jan 06, 2018 10:44 pm

Luca Rocchini wrote:
Anton Kasatkin wrote:
Cheers.

Hello Denny!
Thank you

Hi Anton!
What D-tap cable have you bought to use on your IDX batteries and BM video assist? I have IDX batteries too and I'm in search for the right cable.
I also wonder how long one battery last powering both the Mini Pro and the video assist.

Cheers
Luca

Hello Luca! sorry for waiting
I using D-tap LanParte cable from https://www.amazon.com/Lanparte-DC-55-2 ... B00JWV3B3Q I
Thanks

Dr. Djot

PostTue Apr 02, 2019 10:23 am

Hi everyone, I have a similar Question: Does anyone know the input voltage of the LP-E6 Mounts of the Videoassist (5") ? I was looking to build a NP-F to LP-E6 adapter, but since the voltage of the NP-F is slightly higher, I am not sure if it will fry my Videoassist ...

Xtreemtec

PostTue Apr 02, 2019 4:25 pm

The NP style accu's are 7.2Volts.while LP accu's are 3.6 Volts. Also 7,2V

In a LP battery there are 2 li-ion cells of 1.8Volt While in the NP-F there are 4 Cells of 1.8V. Which makes a combined volt of 7.2.

NP-F have often 4 or 6 cells Series Parrallel. While LP have 2 Cells. Li-ion cells have a nominal voltage of 3.6V but fully charged they can be higher.

You will fry it!! If you don't put any regulator between it. So just buy a ready made solution. And save your VA. ;)
Last edited by Xtreemtec on Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Djot

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 9:13 am

Hi Daniel, thanks for your answer! But I am quite sure -thats what I measured on the contacts and how the batteries are labeled- that the Canon LP-E6, as used on the VA, have an output voltage of 7.2 Volt (according to the official Canon product page) while the Sony NP-F batteries output around 8.2 Volt (although they are also labelled as 7.2 Volt, according to their official product page).
Would this difference, between 8.2 vs 7.2 Volt fry the VA?
I was planning to build a plate, that mounts in both LP-E6 slots of the VA and has one NP-F Mount besides numerous mounting threads on it, to attach a wireless video receiver and power both devices out of one battery ...
Best, Dino

Xtreemtec

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 4:45 pm

My Mistake!! Cells are not 1.8V but 3.6Volt default.. So 2 cells in series are 7.2Volt nominal. Fully charged they will be higher. (Hence the 8.2 you measured)

NP-F style have often 4 or 6 cells in them but run a Series Parallel setup. To boost the power..

So yes it could be possible i guess..

Dr. Djot

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 10:39 am

Should work, I will give it a try! Thanks a lot for your request!
Best, Dino

dsr300

PostFri Oct 04, 2019 9:41 am

Hi, just for information!

I am using my older SONY HDCAM Cameras HDW-650P and HDW-730S für multicamera shoots.
I checked the D-Tap Ligh Port and surprise, surprise ... its regulated to 12V.
So i am save to conntect my VAssists 4K directly to the ligh-port. :-)

Before you conntct, take the time and a voltage-meter to check!
But it may also be regulated on the HDW-750, 790 ... and od the PDW-700, 800 ...

All the best, Mike

DamianS

PostMon Feb 05, 2024 5:19 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Is the power of the ursa dtap (regulated 12V shut down??) or is your VA not charging / power supplied and running off the batteries.. As it then will go down after 45 minutes or so because batterieds are empty.

Ursa's 12v out can only deliver a max of 2 amps, which at 12v will be 24 Watts. The BMVA 7" requires 36W

So the BMVA will briefly fire up with that connection, but then turn off once the Ursa's internal circuitry cuts of power to its 12V out to prevent overload

Yes it's frustrating that the Ursa's 12v out doesn't provide enough power for BM's own monitors!

Return to Live Production