ATEM 1 & Adobe FMLE Crash - MXlight error

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Intinning

ATEM 1 & Adobe FMLE Crash - MXlight error

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 3:00 pm

Finally have all the hardware in place, have read and learned and learned and read...

Now, once I have everything connected and working just fine on the ATEM 1 side, I try to stream and am running into a brick wall. Here are my experiences of the last two days:
1. Adobe FMLE crashes from within seconds to somewhere around 2 minutes of proper operation. Actually the whole dedicated computer locks up. No matter what software is started or nothing at all. Sometimes it crashes and locks the computer right after the splash screen!
2. The FMLE recognizes the ATEM 1 as "Decklink Video Capture" - but doesn't display any input video. Plus, it does not accept the 50 fps with the current AUX1 USB 3.0 output of 720/50p, it stays at 59.94 no matter what I do... then it locks up :)
3. I actually got FMLE to connect to my test streaming provider, and started a live stream (before everything locked up again)... but streaming with a black screen is not very interesting!

I have tried to remove all but necessary - in the form of hardware and software - from the dedicated streaming computer, which was built based on the BMD specified USB 3.0 chipsets. And is a capable machine.

Looking through the forum here, I noticed a software called MXlight. Downloaded the demo version and it has it's problems too. When starting MXlight a warning window comes up asking if "bmdstreamingserver.exe" is running - which it is (according to task manager). Nothing happens with MXlight without the bmdstreamingserver! Support has not yet answered my request for assistance.

So, please, if anybody has an idea how to get FMLE or MXlight working ... or suggest another RTMP streaming software (that is all it has to do!) ... you will save this guy's sanity :)
Thanks, Scott

Liam Kennedy

Re: ATEM 1 & Adobe FMLE Crash - MXlight error

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 6:42 pm

First things first is to get something other than black appearing - and to verify the basic capability of you to capture video from the 1/ME

Just so I'm not assuming anything here - are you trying to capture the video from the 1 M/E's USB3 port?

Have you configured on the ATEM Software Control so that AUX1 is set to Program Out? (AUX1 is what is sent out the USB port).

The you will see the "Capture Tab" on the far lower/right side of the ATEM Software Control. Go in to the settings of that and select the appropriate capture format (would recommend you use MJPEG unless you have massively fast drives for uncrompressed).

Then capture something via the "Enable Capture" and clicking on the Record button.

If that works... then at least you will know if the basics are working and you can move on to getting FMLE working.

Oh... and MXLIght is ONLY compatible with the TVS. It does nothing with the 1ME/2ME as far as I know.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Intinning

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 6:59 pm

Thanks Liam for your thoughts about the situation at hand.

Yes, I am going from ATEM 1 USB 3.0 out to the dedicated streaming computer's Renesas USB 3.0 input.

Also, yes, I have AUX1 set to Program Out.

However, when I open the Capture Tab bottom right, it tells me to attach attach a BMD capture device and the buttons are gray. Even the setup is all grayed out. I have not captured from this tab before. I do, however, capture without a problem from the ATEM 1 to the HyperDeck Studio. Both HDMI and SDI work without a hitch.

When I open BMD's Media Express on the dedicated streaming computer, it also has black screens. Also, it crashes and locks up the computer as well... often!

I am thinking the Intel on-board graphics on the main board of the streaming computer are dirt. I have updated all the drivers, throughout the computer. Maybe I will have to get a separate graphics card (half height) and try that... what do you (or anybody else) think?
- Scott

Liam Kennedy wrote:First things first is to get something other than black appearing - and to verify the basic capability of you to capture video from the 1/ME

Just so I'm not assuming anything here - are you trying to capture the video from the 1 M/E's USB3 port?

Have you configured on the ATEM Software Control so that AUX1 is set to Program Out? (AUX1 is what is sent out the USB port).

The you will see the "Capture Tab" on the far lower/right side of the ATEM Software Control. Go in to the settings of that and select the appropriate capture format (would recommend you use MJPEG unless you have massively fast drives for uncrompressed).

Then capture something via the "Enable Capture" and clicking on the Record button.

If that works... then at least you will know if the basics are working and you can move on to getting MXLight and FMLE working.

Oh... and MXLIght is ONLY compatible with the TVS. It does nothing with the 1ME/2ME as far as I know.

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 7:04 pm

If the setup is all greyed out that looks to me like your USB port is not compatible with the ATEM. On my desktop computer I have several USB ports. Not all of them are actually USB3. Are you certain you are connecting to a USB3 port (usually they have a Blue "socket"). You may need to check with the motherboard manual to be sure you are connecting to the right port.

Intinning

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 7:13 pm

Without a doubt Liam :)

I screwed this computer together myself, configuration based around the USB 3.0 specifications. I have tried all USB 3.0 ports available. Will see if there is anything else to try, like maybe an internal USB 3.0 card.

Liam Kennedy wrote:If the setup is all greyed out that looks to me like your USB port is not compatible with the ATEM. On my desktop computer I have several USB ports. Not all of them are actually USB3. Are you certain you are connecting to a USB3 port (usually they have a Blue "socket"). You may need to check with the motherboard manual to be sure you are connecting to the right port.

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 7:22 pm

Well... sounds like you know the computer inside and out then. This USB3 thing is a bear. It may be easiest/cheapest for you to get a simple Intensity Pro card (approx $190) and take the USB3 issue out of the equation (obviously still more expensive than a USB3 card... but it might get you to a solution far quicker).

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 10:24 pm

fmle not supporting 50 fps video formats..

Buy declink sdi card and put it to small linux box and get really great x264 encoder..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Intinning

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 8:42 am

Pytkin wrote:fmle not supporting 50 fps video formats..

Buy declink sdi card and put it to small linux box and get really great x264 encoder..

Had my suspicions about this. Therefore I am investing my time to get MXlight running.

A capture card in a Linux machine would be nice :) Hmmmm....

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 8:52 am

As I mentioned above. MXLight works with the TVS only (or the H.264 pro recorder). It works off the H.264 encoded stream from the TVS's USB2 port. So... unless you are going to get a TVS or the H.264 recorder MXLight will be no use.

Intinning

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 1:24 pm

Liam Kennedy wrote:As I mentioned above. MXLight works with the TVS only (or the H.264 pro recorder). It works off the H.264 encoded stream from the TVS's USB2 port. So... unless you are going to get a TVS or the H.264 recorder MXLight will be no use.

I have the ATEM 1... and the H.264 Pro Recorder. So, this morning, I plugged in the H.264 Pro Recorder to see what happens. At one point I was actually streaming with FMLE. Used full 1080i and managed to stream without a crash!

Then I moved to the MXLight... can't find the right settings for my provider. And, unfortunately, I can not reproduce the stream using FMLE :( However, I have not given up (haven't come this far by giving up) and will continue to strive for a solution. Optimally, that solution is 720p/50. Secondary 1080i/50.

While I am here, does anybody have successful MXLight settings for the provider:
Streaming Video Provider (www.streamingvideoprovider.com)?

Thanks all for the tips!

Intinning

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 3:34 pm

A short update...

I copied and played with many settings on the MXLight route. With success, but only via the H.264 Pro Recorder. Have ordered three different USB 3.0 cards with NEC and Renesas chips. Will try them all and eventually post the results.

Main thing is, we are finally streaming 720p/50! Testing is proving to be fruitful :)
-Scott

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 5:47 pm

Glad you figured it out with MXLight. That was a stroke of luck you had the H.264 pro recorder (and I had no idea you had one... as you left that nugget out of all your prior posts).

I am curious that you mentioned the following

Intinning wrote:I have the ATEM 1... and the H.264 Pro Recorder. So, this morning, I plugged in the H.264 Pro Recorder to see what happens. At one point I was actually streaming with FMLE. Used full 1080i and managed to stream without a crash!

Are you saying that you had FMLE working with the H.264 pro recorder? If so... I didn't even think that was possible. That would imply the H.264 from the TVS/Pro Recorder could in fact be accessible to standard streaming software (such as FMLE and Wirecast). I've tried it - others have tried it - and so far at least it has not worked.

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 6:13 pm

Intinning wrote:Main thing is, we are finally streaming 720p/50! Testing is proving to be fruitful :)
-Scott

FMLE not supporting 720p50 ... and not suppoert H264 PRO recorder ..

Intinning

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 6:40 pm

Pytkin wrote:
Intinning wrote:Main thing is, we are finally streaming 720p/50! Testing is proving to be fruitful :)
-Scott

FMLE not supporting 720p50 ... and not suppoert H264 PRO recorder ..

This worked for me Pytkin... ATEM 1 output 720p/50 from AUX2 Program to SDI input on the H.264 Pro Recorder. USB 2.0 out of Pro Recorder to the USB on the streaming PC... MXLight with a few tweeked (original UStream) settings and direct to the test account at SVP.

Rich from MXLight did get back to me after I managed to get the stream going.

@Liam, yes it was surely 1080i/50 through the H.264 Pro Recorder (the USB 3.0 doesn't work). I will try to recreate it again tonight or tomorrow. But, I am sure it was with FMLE.

Also, Liam, I too am very happy :) However, I could be happier if the Capture tab on the controller window would show some signs of life. I tried starting Media Express, hoping that the controller would see that through the H.264PR - nothing. Media Express sees only the H.264PR. Oh well, the new USB 3.0 cards will be here tomorrow.

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 8:06 pm

Mxlight works.. I was talked about fmle..

Intinning

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 8:39 pm

Pytkin wrote:Mxlight works.. I was talked about fmle..

Gotcha, thanks!

Intinning

Re: ATEM 1 - FMLE - MXlight error - Round 2

PostThu Jan 31, 2013 10:42 pm

UPDATE:

1. Installed a Quadro 600 graphic card in the dedicated streaming computer to ensure graphics are best possible without dumping a mint into a Quadro 5000 like in my video editing computer.

2. Installed three PCIe USB 3.0 cards (onboard are Renesas chipset USB 3.0):
a. Delock 89281, VIA chip
b. Delock 89277, NEC chip
c. exSYS EX-11092-2L, Renesas chip

3. Updated all drivers, restarted.

4. Started testing USB 3.0 output from the ATEM 1 M/E with Media Express:
a. All USB 3.0 ports see the ATEM 1, onboard and NEC chip ports were not smooth - choppy at best.
b. PCIe Renesas and VIA chip ports smooth and recorded without error.

5. Started UltraScope with each port on all - onboard and PCIe cards:
a. Onboard - choppy
b. PCIe Renesas - smooth, no error or crash
c. PCIe Via - smooth, no error or crash
d. PCIe NEC - error, no connection

6. MXLight started, checked all USB 3.0 ports:
a. NONE of the USB 3.0 ports were seen by MXLight. Error every time: "Could not connect to server. Ensure BMDStreamingServer.exe is running" - which, confirmed per task manager, is active!

Note1: Numerous restarts, thanks to SSD drives the restarts are quick. OS is WIN7Ultimate :)
Note2: MXLight worked when using SDI to H.264 Pro Recorder USB 2.0 to streaming computer... but obviously that is not optimal and would like to get this USB 3.0 working! :)

Any ideas?
Thanks for reading, Scott

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostThu Jan 31, 2013 10:53 pm

U put H264 Pro recorder into USB 3 with MXLIGHT ? or direct USB uncompressed stream from ATEM1 ? because mxlight see only H264 pro recorder .. not direct uncompressed stream ..

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Jan 31, 2013 10:54 pm

Ill try this one final time. MXLight only works with the H.264 output from the Pro Recorder. it will never ever ever work with the 1ME's USB3 output. testing that is a waste of time.

In any case Great news on the USB3 cards that are working for you better than your internal ports. So you no longer need to use the Pro Recorder anyway right. I bet that capture tab now shows the ability to configure/trigger recording via the USB3 of the 1ME when you connect to the cards that you showed worked.

Intinning

PostFri Feb 01, 2013 8:29 am

OK guys, I thank you! It is now clear :)

In that case, the MXLight isn't the optimal solution with the H.264 PR. Ideally the USB uncompressed stream should go to the streaming computer. So, back to square one :) In the mean time I can use the H.264 PR... OK, square two :)

Is there even a software solution that will take the uncompressed signal from the USB 3.0 in 720p50 and 1080i50, convert and upload to the server?

You both have good patience with me :lol:

Liam Kennedy

PostFri Feb 01, 2013 8:40 am

Ummm... MXLight is a perfect match for the H.264 pro recorder - and for streaming (it's actually the only (well - primary) reason that software was developed). Streaming = Highly compressed anyway... so what is the problem?

Intinning wrote:Is there even a software solution that will take the uncompressed signal from the USB 3.0 in 720p50 and 1080i50, convert and upload to the server?

I may be misunderstanding what you are asking about here. What is this "server"? Are you still tallking about streaming it to a server - or are you just looking for something that will capture the uncompressed video?

As for something that can record the uncompressed output from the 1ME's USB3 port. Do you REALLY know what that will take (to be actually uncrompressed). You are talking about upwards of 200MB's per second... and you will need the fastest RAID hard drive around.

The recording is actually done with Black Magic Media Express (or the ATEM Software Control - using it's capture "Tab"). So... now that you have some <working> USB3 cards with the 1ME you should find that method will now work.

You can select MJPEG instead and that will add some compression (12MB/s)... but it will still be pretty good.

You can also use the 1ME with FMLE now if you would prefer to stream from the uncompressed video over USB3.

Intinning

PostFri Feb 01, 2013 11:43 am

Apologize for leaving open ends... Yes, my goal is to keep as streamlined as possible. To go direct USB 3 from the ATEM 1 to a software on the streaming computer. This software should resize, compress and do what ever it takes to push the signal to the streaming server (video platform www.streamingvideoprovider.co.uk).

Capture is not a problem. I have 2 512GB and 1 250GB SSDs in which I record direct from the ATEM 1 to the HyperDeck Studio in the flight case. On top of that, two 4TB external USB 3.0 drives available off the streaming computer. Thus, FMLE would have been the best solution with recording and streaming parallel. If the ATEM Control's Capture tab works (will look next time I fire up the station), then I can move one 4TB drive to the control computer for direct capture. I am sure we will have to capture for editing or delivery per DVD.

Agree with you Liam, FMLE would be my best option. However, it does not support an input of 50 fps. With my camera situation there is no other option. Therefore my search for an affordable solution.
- Scott

Liam Kennedy

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 2:00 am

If FMLE doesn't work you could try VLC (which is what MXLight uses behind the scenes). Or if you have some budget - try out Wirecast (which is what I use).

Wirecast is not cheap ($495) - but it works well with the 1ME via USB3. You can download a trial to at least test it before purchase.

Although still a little unclear as to why your Pro Recorder won't work for you for streaming.

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 11:32 am

i was spend $495 for wirecast , and its really unusable .. its produce jerky video .. Better way is small linux box , with declink card , and free X264 encoder , whitch produce TOP quality video ..

Intinning

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 12:28 pm

Pytkin wrote:i was spend $495 for wirecast , and its really unusable .. its produce jerky video .. Better way is small linux box , with declink card , and free X264 encoder , whitch produce TOP quality video ..

Thanks for your update on Wirecast Pytkin! I had the website open and considering... not any more :)

I suppose I could get another 4HE rack and put a full sized Linux machine inside. Will consider that as an option. Which Flavor do you have installed and which card?

Liam Kennedy

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 2:34 pm

Well. My experience is obviously different to pytkin. I don't see the jerky video. Not sure what may be different with my setup

I tend to stream in 720p30 (I have Wirecast encode to this). All those extra frames (at 720p60) just require double the bandwidth for,the same quality.

You might just want to download the trial.

Intinning

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 6:05 pm

Liam Kennedy wrote:Well. My experience is obviously different to pytkin. I don't see the jerky video. Not sure what may be different with my setup

I tend to stream in 720p30 (I have Wirecast encode to this). All those extra frames (at 720p60) just require double the bandwidth for,the same quality.

You might just want to download the trial.

The trial is a thought. Thanks for your input Liam.

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 11:32 pm

Intinning wrote:I suppose I could get another 4HE rack and put a full sized Linux machine inside. Will consider that as an option. Which Flavor do you have installed and which card?

yesterday i was builded small linux encoder :

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3535&start=10#p29236

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 11:38 pm

Liam Kennedy wrote:Well. My experience is obviously different to pytkin. I don't see the jerky video. Not sure what may be different with my setup

look here for my tests http://www.pytkin.sk/wirecast_problem/ .. upper is wirecast , lover is FMLE
jerky video is one problem .. second problem is total unstability .. if U wanted to change any setting , then hangig is your friend .. i was started tests WIrecast about 3 years ago .. ale tested it every half year .. Its unstable all the time ..

Liam Kennedy wrote:I tend to stream in 720p30 (I have Wirecast encode to this). All those extra frames (at 720p60) just require double the bandwidth for,the same quality.

And its next problem .. Wirecast can stream video on 30fps max .. u cant stream 720p50 video , etc .. Wirecast is wasted $500 for me ..

Intinning

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 9:33 am

I would appreciate seeing the difference you have to show Pytkin... but the link above doesn't work for me.

Liam Kennedy

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 9:45 am

Pytkin. I don't duobt that you have seen the streaming video results from Wirecast that you have (I have viewed the sample you provided in some other post).

I can only provide my own experience of using Wirecast as another valid result. I see no reason to stream at 720p60 (or 50)... I see wonderful results at 720p30 and that provides the quality level I need for my needs.

Wirecast has been very reliable for my use for a number of years.

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 11:03 am

Liam : Yes , Ur right .. Everybody need different things .. Wirecast have lot of great features .. But some primary things not works for me ..

Intinning

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 6:36 pm

Liam, I do not intend to stream 720p50. Signal from the ATEM 1 will be either 720p50 or 1080i50. The streaming software should input these rates then resize according to streaming settings.
- Scott

Liam Kennedy

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 7:02 pm

Yep...
Intinning wrote:Liam, I do not intend to stream 720p50. Signal from the ATEM 1 will be either 720p50 or 1080i50. The streaming software should input these rates then resize according to streaming settings.
- Scott

Scott -I didn't think you were going to be streaming at p/i 50 - that's just what Pytkin has been trying to stream at and getting problems in doing so.

My ATEM is setup in 720p60 and I stream (using Wirecast) at 720p30. I prefer not to get involved with de-interlacing as part of the encode. So I am sure you'll be fine doing something similar. But do test it before handing over money for Wirecast.

Intinning

PostTue Feb 05, 2013 7:57 am

Liam - FYI, Capture tab still grayed out - not active. Tried before and after Media Express was started on the streaming PC. Mini computer controlling the ATEM 1 has sufficient memory capacity too (just in case the ATEM 1 is looking there for storage space).

Tells me, when I click on settings, that there is not any device attached. I looked through the manual and there is not an in depth description for this... What am I missing here?
Thanks, Scott

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Feb 05, 2013 8:17 am

I just have no idea. If FMLE is seeing the 1ME via USB3 - I can't think of any reason why the Capture Tab would not see it.

Dumb question here (don't really want to even ask it - but... desperate times) - you are definitely running the ATEM Software Control on the same system that the ATEM is connected to the USB3 port? Also... make sure nothing else is trying to access the 1ME's video output on that USB3 port at the same time.

Intinning

PostTue Feb 05, 2013 8:43 am

Ahhh... Maybe I am missing something here...

Your question (though a good one) brings up another connection point... The ATEM 1 control software (gray Capture tab) is running on a RJ45 connected computer. The USB 3.0 is going to a different computer. I will start the system and run the control software on the USB 3.0 connected computer (streaming computer). From your text, I understand the Capture tab will/should be active on the streaming computer. Thanks Liam for the question/thought :)

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Feb 05, 2013 8:54 am

Ummm yeah. The Capture tab only works if it is running on the computer that the ATEM is connected directly to via USB. It needs to actually be receiving the video on the USB3 port to be able to capture to the local hard drive of that system.

Intinning

PostTue Feb 05, 2013 9:13 am

Perfect! Thank you Liam for helping me in the right direction :)

Return to Live Production