Audio requirement for ATEM 2me

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Baz

Audio requirement for ATEM 2me

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 7:49 am

I am new to the ATEM and have slowly been installing it into a roadcase(s).

I also have an outboard 16 ch analog audio mixer that I need to use with the ATEM along with a Behringer BCF2000 control surface for the ATEM built in audio mixer.

I need to feed the ATEM audio sources (inputs) into the outboard analog audio mixer, add commentary, music effects etc and then re-insert that into the final ATEM output.
I found that the ATEM allows a selection of the audio connector to be either 'program' or 'monitoring'.
I can't achieve what I need in either mode.

What would be great is if there was a 3rd audio connector mode that allows 'breakaway', where the ATEM audio sources can be made available at the audio out connectors but not go to program out. This would then allow the outboard audio mixer to take the ATEM audio's out via the ATEM built in audio mixer and then re-insert it back into the ATEM audio mixer at its 'EXT' input.
This would also be useful with the AFV function as I notice that even doing a 'cut' between sources it does a soft cut on the audio which avoids any digital glitching. (great for multicam motorsport coverage).

It seems a simple enough thing to do as it sort of exists using the 'solo' buttons in 'monitoring' mode.
... feature request?... or does someone know how to achieve what I need?

At present I am getting it done using a BMD Audio -> SDI (injector) as I need to provide full mix on 1 and 2 and an extra 2 channels in the HDSDI signal for effects and music only without the commentary on 3 and 4.

Baz

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

Chad

Re: Audio requirement for ATEM 2me

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 8:09 pm

Unfortunately when you set the ATEM XLR outs to "monitoring" mode you can only solo 1-channel at a time. It would be nice if you could set use the outs to feed an external audio mixer, and then use the XLR inputs just for embedding into the program feed, but that's not how it works.

The only viable alternative to using an external embedder (which is what I do) is to treat your ATEM as your main audio mixer, and treat your "real" audio mixer like you would an insert jack, and sending back only the "wet" portions of your FX back into the ATEM. It's kind of a backwards way of thinking, but it should work.

Jonas Bengtson

PostSat Feb 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Would be really cool if there was a AES channel with all the channels embedded! Have you gotten the BCF2000 to work with the ATEM? How?

Baz

PostSat Feb 09, 2013 11:35 pm

Jonas Bengtson wrote:..... Have you gotten the BCF2000 to work with the ATEM? How?

I just plug the BCF2000 into the USB port of a PC or MAC running the ATEM software and it works.

It assigns the first 7 faders to the first 7 inputs and it uses the 8th fader as the ATEMs master audio fader. The pan pots work and the channel switches allow selection of 'AFV' and/or 'on air'. Oh, and the motorised faders work both ways as well.

Unfortunately it won't allow 'ganging' them (multiple control surfaces) like Nuendo and other audio apps do.

I haven't tried any midi stuff with it yet.

Baz

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Jonas Bengtson

PostSun Feb 10, 2013 4:59 pm

Baz wrote:
Jonas Bengtson wrote:..... Have you gotten the BCF2000 to work with the ATEM? How?

I just plug the BCF2000 into the USB port of a PC or MAC running the ATEM software and it works.

Baz

Woah! I bought the BCF2000 by another reason this Thursday and it worked! Thank you Baz!

Baz

PostSun Feb 10, 2013 10:57 pm

I have 6 BCF2000's and used them mainly in my audio post room controlling 24 faders in Nuendo.

I also have 3 edit suites that each have one working with FCP 7 which make monitoring audio a breeze.

But to have one working with the ATEM is certainly a bonus. Thus my wish to being able to gang them with my 16 input ATEM.

Baz

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Return to Live Production