Request for the future: Atem Auxiliar Control?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

InkGen

Request for the future: Atem Auxiliar Control?

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 3:07 am

We wondered if this auxiliary element would be useful for most users of Atem or blackmagic had thought something like this in the future.

We believe may be useful in live production to control screens in a study or at a concert where besides the program signal display on a giant screen there auxiliary displays in the show.

Thanks.
Attachments
AUX 1 y 2.jpg
Utility
AUX 1 y 2.jpg (122 KiB) Viewed 10806 times
ATEM AUXILIAR.jpg
Design simulation
ATEM AUXILIAR.jpg (191.59 KiB) Viewed 10806 times

Darren Lew

Blackmagic Design

Re: Request for the future: Atem Auxiliar Control?

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 4:28 am

Thanks InkGen.

Great idea and beautifully presented. I will add it to the 'Wish-List'.

Darren.
Darren Lew
Senior Product Manager ATEM
Blackmagic Design

Thomas Seewald

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 1:59 pm

Maybe also useable for simple (and cheep) cut with TVS ? .....
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Richard Courtney

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 4:12 pm

Hardware would be nice.

In the meantime if you would like a software panel...
http://atemuser.com/forums/atem-vision-mixers/developers/qt-based-lib-connecting-atem-switch#comment-2673
drop me a line.

InkGen

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 4:51 pm

rcourtney wrote:Hardware would be nice.

In the meantime if you would like a software panel...
http://atemuser.com/forums/atem-vision-mixers/developers/qt-based-lib-connecting-atem-switch#comment-2673
drop me a line.

It's great... i´m interested
It´s posible assign the buttons for shortcuts?

Richard Courtney

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 5:28 pm

InkGen wrote:It's great... i´m interested
It´s posible assign the buttons for shortcuts?

No, the program I wrote is for selecting the source input for a specific AUX and optionally to
display tally for a specific input. (Grey area surrounding the buttons changes color red, green,
or yellow).

The QT lib allows you to build a software controller but does not contain macros in itself.
You would write C++ code using the QT lib to handle the network commands to the ATEM.
Search for "justmacros" in the atemuser.com forum for homebrew software that does support
macros.

If you are still interested send me the following info:
IP address of your ATEM
The AUX number you want to control (ie: 1 2 or 3)
Which input you want tally for. (ie: none, 1 - 8 or 16)

Gregg Bond

PostSat Sep 01, 2012 6:43 pm

There is one available fairly quickly on the 1ME desk, hit the AUX button on the home block and then select the output, you can then use the top row to select any of the sources.

You can even get to the Prev/Prog using the Shift+Cut buttons.

I run my projectors at gigs like this so I can solo a source (usually a Media Player) so I can do things "behind the scenes".

Thomas Seewald

PostSat Sep 01, 2012 8:34 pm

Looks fine, but I'm a "Windows man" and I have no actual C-Compiler.

Richard Courtney

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 3:33 am

My aux software controller can be downloaded from:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/83007019/AUX1.zip

Copy all the files to a folder of your choice.

It is for Windows with the ATEM expected at 172.16.200.245
Our graphics operator is on a separate computer than the ATEM software panel
and does not need BMD software installed to operate.
The switcher operator can still make aux1 changes too, but this was far easier.

I will recompile for your IP, AUX channel, and tally if requested. However I will be
busy with the new 3.3 SDK writing code for uploading graphics to the media bins
and may take awhile to get it to you.

Dylan Reeve

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 9:32 am

If I'm not mistaken the AUX routing isn't currently a feature in the SDK is it? You've added that call yourself, right?

Thomas Seewald

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 9:46 am

This is not a typical IP-address for a private network ;-)

I would need a version for TVS, with IP 192.168.1.240... Maybe a simple setup-window for the IP ?

Matt Hohman

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 6:06 pm

We do something a little bit more ghetto. We have been using an arduino to control an aux bus of our 2m/e for our shader station.

closeup.jpg
closeup.jpg (395.6 KiB) Viewed 10485 times

station.jpg
station.jpg (830.98 KiB) Viewed 10485 times

Normally the arduino is hidden, we are looking to move the buttons into a 1u rack panel when we rack up the blackmagic display.

I should mention we are only a week into using our new system things are still a little messy.
Last edited by Matt Hohman on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atem 2M/E Switcher & Panel, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, DeckLink, Compact VideoHub, UltraScope, OpenGear, HDLink, SmartView, MiniConverters, The list goes on and on.
Matt Hohman
Technical Ministries
New Heights Church
http://www.NewHeights.org

Richard Courtney

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 7:22 pm

Thomas Seewald wrote:
This is not a typical IP-address for a private network ;-)

I would need a version for TVS, with IP 192.168.1.240... Maybe a simple setup-window for the IP ?

No, that is a class B address 192.168.x.x is a class C.

I recompiled it for class C default address:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/83007019/AUX1TVS.zip

If I have time I'll add the proper bells and whistles with a dialog page for customization.
For now, it should help you out until a fancy rackmount unit is available.

I wish I had some time to play with the arduino kits, they look like fun.

Chris Peterson

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 3:55 am

Surely it would be possible to program a software solution to enable the existing BM 'smart control' panel to be used to control the AUX on the switcher? Everything is IP based.
Chris Peterson
Video Manager
Planetshakers Ministries International

Dylan Reeve

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 4:04 am

Yeah I'd assume so. Fairly easy to take the very simple protocol the Videohub series use and proxy it into the ATEM control protocol. That is assuming the Smart Control only uses the standard protocol - if it adds any complex or special undocumented stuff it would be more tricky.

Of course Blackmagic could certainly do it :)

Russell McNaughton

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 1:39 am

Dylan Reeve wrote:If I'm not mistaken the AUX routing isn't currently a feature in the SDK is it? You've added that call yourself, right?

Yeah, I believe that is correct, the official BMD SDK is still infuriatingly limited in what it can do with the ATEM. As I understand it, rcourtney's software uses Peter Simonsson's library, which sends network commands directly to the ATEM without using any BMD software interface.
This may not be ideal; but until BMD will kindly release an SDK that can control the ATEM in it's entirety (or even reinstate features that once existed and no longer do ??!?), us folk trying to develop software to make the ATEM more useful are forced to do so by other means.
Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

Russell McNaughton

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 1:46 am

Admittedly SDK 3.3 is a step in the right direction, but the lack of capability for AUX switching, audio switching, source label changing or multi-view configuration still makes it unusable for a lot of what developers are trying to do. Hopefully these things will follow soon....

Richard Courtney

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 1:35 pm

RustyNZ,

You are correct. Peter has developed the QT lib that does NOT use the APIs from BMD.
It communicates with the switcher thru network packets. If you look at the included files from
ATEM older releases, you will find QT DLL files!

IMHO, BMD made microsoft APIs after the fact. 3.3 has upload images which is the missing
link (pun intended) that the QT lib does not currently have.

Also, QT is cross platform. PC's, Macs, Linux, and some of Nokia's smart phones!

Tom_Bassford

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 9:05 pm

Have a look at the solutions from http://skaarhoj.com - these opensource Arduino based solutions can easily be adapted to provide Aux cut buss functionality.
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

InkGen

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 5:47 pm

Tom_Bassford wrote:Have a look at the solutions from http://skaarhoj.com - these opensource Arduino based solutions can easily be adapted to provide Aux cut buss functionality.

Ok... for example: "C10 Remote" Model: 8 customizables buttons to control the Atem.

$999 USD (¿¿¿¿¿What???????)

We know there are design and working hours behind a system like this. But... $999 USD???????
No thanks...!!
We respect the work of "Skaarhoj" but that's too expensive.

Example: Blackmagic Smart Control: (40 buttons) $495 USD = this it's ok. it´s reasonable.

Thomas Seewald

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 7:38 am

@rcourtney: Thank you. I loaded down the ZIP-file yesterday. I hope, I can test it in the evening.
------------------------------------------------------------------
The following lines I wrote as a feature request in another thread. So sorry for this "double post".
The video hub smart contol is connected to other devices via ethernet. It can be customized using USB connetion to a computer.

Perhaps, BM could develop a new firmware to use this harware for simple control of ATEM switchers. In my opinion, all hardware ingredients are available for this use.

With $ 500,- the price would be very interesting....

So when the config software would be able to configure every button to every ATEM function, this unit would be the universal switcher for AUX-busses or a usefull simple cutting or/and reserve unit in case of failures. (Step 1)

When buttons could be programmed to replay "macros" like or compatible to "Justmacros" by "vis-ranger", the unit would be the "super usefull universal user interface".... (Step 2)

I want to use my TVS for "non commercial" prodution in schools and sports club. I decided to use a TVS, because of the interesting price for start working. Now I am looking for my next step. For the price of the smallest hardware based control-unit, I get two or tree usable customer HD-cameras .....

But a hardware console would be helpfull.

When BMD doesn't offer a simple cheep console for ATEMs, I am dependent on non BMD products to realize a hardware console - when existing. I respect the work of "Skaarhoj" as well, but that's also too expensive for me. Maybe I find the time to devellop my own Arduino solution. Before this, I have to find out, which which arduino-units are really needed...

This is no reproach on BMD ! But for me there are missing links between cheep entry and the following steps. The missig scaler in ATEMs (inputs) is also a theme. But this need to be discussed on another place...

jason sach

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 10:30 am

skaahoj hardware is pricey but if you can solder you can make it yourself for very little. he puts all his software online for all to use. have a go at it. it works i have made my own controllers with just time and patience and a few beers.

open source is the way just have a go.

jason
www.tffmedia.com
www.valleyvision.com.au

Dylan Reeve

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 11:04 am

I'd be tempted to get hold of one of the switch panels and see what I could make it to do, but I doubt I have time to do it at the moment (also don't have the spare cash for the gear just now).

BMD could definitely make firmware to do it (I assume) but otherwise a piece of software could bridge it (or maybe even an Arduino micro controller?)

Richard Courtney

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 1:05 pm

"skaahoj hardware is pricey" the switches are themselves expensive.
Keep in mind his kits are open design with source code included. He even has circuit boards.
The color of the backlight is changeable which adds to its value as well.

The "justmacros" hardware is not cheap either. I have PI X-keys myself and can tell you
a physical button is much better than mouse clicks. Touchscreen helps.

I hope you will find my AUX software helpful until you can obtain a hardware panel.

One thing, does the TVS have an AUX bus now? When I looked at the three ATEMs last year,
it did not. Only the 1M/E with 3 AUX buses and the 2M/E with 6.

Just want to make sure everyone understands that my software, as presented, controls
the AUX1 bus. It uses only a handful of the functions found in the psn's qatemcontrol library.
Last edited by Richard Courtney on Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Seewald

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 1:16 pm

You both are right. A Arduino-based solution would comply my desire. But the ready solution by skaahoj is to expensive for me and also the construction kits.

The Arduino itself makes me not worry, but the additional needed hardware, especially the backlit keys. (How to drive the LEDs, where to get the keys for a cheaper price, creation and production of the circuit board). What parts I need concrete for a lot of IO to create a combined controller and tally unit ?

One thing, does the TVS have an AUX bus now?
No, but the discussion about contolling the Aux includes a discussion about controlling ATEM generally with cheaper hardware.

Thomas Seewald

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 7:15 am

@rcourtney: I tried the software. In case, that the TVS has no Aux, there was nothing to switch ;-) The Software read the caption of the buttons and when input 4 was selected on program or preview, the desk changed the color. So for OK.

Maybe you can recompile a version, which switches the program bus ? What is the destination for your tally implementation ?

Richard Courtney

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 1:47 pm

Thomas Seewald wrote:@rcourtney: I tried the software. In case, that the TVS has no Aux, there was nothing to switch ;-) The Software read the caption of the buttons and when input 4 was selected on program or preview, the desk changed the color. So for OK.

Maybe you can recompile a version, which switches the program bus ? What is the destination for your tally implementation ?

I have a program that mimics BMD's software panel but requires X-keys Jog & Shuttle Pro.
I may release the source code. I don't have time to make one of custom software for everyone
at this time.

If you have a specific requirement, start a separate thread and we can talk about it.

The tally function is for our graphics operator. She creates/updates stills and at a glance can
see if the laptop's output is on air or about to be placed on air.

Liam Kennedy

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 3:32 pm

rcourtney wrote:The "justmacros" hardware is not cheap either. I have PI X-keys myself and can tell youa physical button is much better than mouse clicks. Touchscreen helps.

Umm... the 24 Key control unit = $129.95, the 12 Key + Joystick is $199.95, and JustMacros is $0. That is pretty darned inexpensive in my book.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

WilliamG

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 8:46 pm

ImageI have a program that mimics BMD's software panel but requires X-keys Jog & Shuttle Pro.

I may release the source code. I don't have time to make one of custom software for everyone
at this time.

If you have a specific requirement, start a separate thread and we can talk about it.

The tally function is for our graphics operator. She creates/updates stills and at a glance can
see if the laptop's output is on air or about to be placed on air.

Can you please post the link of the program again? IF its for MAC pcs

Richard Courtney

PostSat Dec 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Hello WilliamG,

I will be with family for Christmas and may be able to compile it on a Mac for you.
I don't have the Full software control open to the public. I assume you are requesting
the Aux control only?

JamesParker

PostSat Dec 22, 2012 6:16 pm

[quote="rcourtney"]My aux software controller can be downloaded from:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/83007019/AUX1.zip

Copy all the files to a folder of your choice.

I'd love to use this. 10.1.50.50

I've got a 2 Me. Let me know what you need from me! Thanks!
J.Parker
Creative Director

Richard Courtney

PostSat Dec 22, 2012 8:37 pm

jparker,

I updated the program for several users' requests.

For Windows:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/83007019/atem2me.zip

Mac OS:
(coming soon)

Read the included .pdf file for more details, it works now for either 1M/E or 2M/E
switchers.

rcourtney

Return to Live Production