Imac 5k and Ultrastudio 4k

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

John Ross

Imac 5k and Ultrastudio 4k

PostFri Jun 17, 2016 6:39 am

I have an iMac 5k running Propresenter and an Ultrastudio 4k. We can't seem to get them working together.

The iMac only has thunderbolt out and with the thunderbolt cable running into the ultrastudio we don't get any signal out of Propresenter, but CAN play out from Blackmagic Media Express. Is this even possible to use thunderbolt as an input for ProP6 or does it need to be SDI/HDMI/VGA? Can it be done without having to purchase a module license?

Have updated to the latest desktop app.

Anyone got this setup going?
Thanks

Also we have an ATEM 2M/E switching the old PC (we are currently running with) and cameras. Just wanting to transition to digital, but the only ports on the mac are thunderbolt and USB. Can we utilize the 4k to then go into the ATEM or should we use an adapter to send the iMac straight to the ATEM?

Adam Simmons

Re: Imac 5k and Ultrastudio 4k

PostSat Jun 18, 2016 6:35 am

Can't help with most of your problems as I don't use Macs, but just wanted to clarify that Thunderbolt sockets are bi-directional, so your socket will be both input and output.

Having had a quick look through the Pro Presenter manual it states that BM devices can be used for input(page 21 of the manual or 27 of the pdf document), but the only reference I can see for using them for output is in the extra modules section
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

John Ross

PostSat Jun 18, 2016 7:46 am

Awesome thanks for the info! It looks like it's going to have to be $99 to buy the SDI module. I'm just concerned that if this doesn't work, I'm wasting money. If anyone can shed some light any help is appreciated!

Evan Daum

PostSun Jun 19, 2016 12:26 am

I think you need the SDI or maybe even the Alpha module for PP6.

Kee Sitt Lim

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 5:32 pm

John Ross wrote:Awesome thanks for the info! It looks like it's going to have to be $99 to buy the SDI module. I'm just concerned that if this doesn't work, I'm wasting money. If anyone can shed some light any help is appreciated!

I remember you can demo the modules in PP for a short period before purchasing. Go to the module section in PP and click on the demo button.

Return to Live Production