Behringer BCR2000 for CCU control

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Mike Bernstein

Behringer BCR2000 for CCU control

PostSat Jun 25, 2016 2:32 am

I was wondering if anyone has used the Behringer BCR2000 to do CCU control.
I found this company that is selling it already programmed and labeled to be used as a CCU controller.

http://www.lontono.com/product/smart-paint/

But I don't think it is worth the extra $1,000 as a normal BCR2000 is only $150.00

So any info on it would be awesome.

Thanks,

Mike

Evan Daum

Re: Behringer BCR2000 for CCU control

PostSat Jun 25, 2016 5:02 pm

The BCR2000 is just a MIDI controller, so the question is what are they using to interface to the ATEM protocol? JustMacros? Dedicated Arduino hardware? They don't say. There's no list of system requirements either. Hard to tell what's going on.

-Evan

Mike Bernstein

PostSun Jun 26, 2016 12:18 pm

I checked with Behringer and they told me it has a USB only mode as well.
They also told me that some people have used it for color correction control with Aftereffect, Premier Pro and Final Cut Pro in USB mode. So I think it might be just like hooking up any usb controller.
Just wonder if anyone has used it before and knows if it is easy to program or not.

Mike

Evan Daum

PostSun Jun 26, 2016 3:32 pm

The USB just means it shows up as a USB MIDI device, it's still speaking MIDI to the host.

Thomas Petzold

PostMon Jul 04, 2016 1:46 pm

Hi,

we use the BCR2000 (USB Mode) with our CCU software to controll our BM Studio Camera.
We use it as USB-MIDI input device only.

Regards
Thomas

Mike Bernstein

PostMon Jul 04, 2016 10:55 pm

Thomas,

How well does it preform as a CCU controller?
How much control do you get out of it?
Do you know of any videos out there showing how to set it up to be a CCU controller?
How did you program it to work with the Blackmagic Atem system?

Thanks,

Mike

Pedro Ruiz Mateos

PostMon Jul 04, 2016 11:06 pm

if you please tell me as
Pedro Ruiz Mateos
ATEM Constellation 8k, 2M/E, HD.
ATEM Studio HD, ATEM mini, mini Extreme.
2 Ursa Brodcast G2, 1 Ursa Brodcast G1, 6 Studio 4K PRO, 6 Studio HD, 4 Micro Studio 4k G1 & G2, etc.

Thomas Petzold

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 11:41 am

Hi,

it do not work with the ATEM! Because we have a Panasonic 450 Mixer. We use a default Desktop PC (i5) with a simpel DeckLink Card and our CCU Software (https://github.com/tomtom1976/Blackmagic-Decklink-CCU). The BCR2000 we use as MIDI Input device only to control all the CCU functions.

We have the full control over the camera are documented in the camera manual and the tally protocol definition.

Regards
Thomas

Mike Bernstein

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 10:23 pm

Well it would be awesome if someone built a professional looking system to control CCU for the new URSA Mini and other Blackmagic Cameras.

CCU control is a big problem with blackmagic!

Thomas Petzold

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 10:19 am

What do you mean with "professional looking system"?

Mike Bernstein

PostThu Jul 07, 2016 10:22 am

What I mean buy Professional Looking is that the box or system needs to have a look of being manufactured in a professional way. Not something that looks like it was made from spare parts.
I am use to CCU controls from Sony, Panasonic, etc.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/imag ... 686148.jpg

To go from a control unit like this is a software system or a mod of something else just will not work for me. I need something more professional looking. My clients just do not trust in a software only system yet. I know it sounds weird but then again they are paying the bills so I would like to keep them happy. Yes I know it will cost me money to buy a system like I am use to but then again I am in the mind set of you get what you pay for.

For smaller show I can use my gvg to atem system but for my higher end client they do not like it.

I have a modified GVG to Atem switcher controller and I had a client yell at me telling me that it is not 4K and I should not be using something so old. I had to spend a hour explaining and showing them that it is a 4K system and just the Controller is a older box updated to control the 4K switcher.
Don't get me wrong I love what BAZ has done in getting the GVG to work with my Atem and I use it far more then I use my Blackmagic 1M/E controller. But now I need to make my clients happy and find a ccu controller.

So I keep on searching for a controller to help me with CCU control.

Mike

Matt Certa

PostThu Aug 04, 2016 11:04 pm

My Company bought one of these and pretty happy with it so far. Worked right out of the box, and is much easier to use than futzing with the software controls.

JohnJohns

PostFri Aug 19, 2016 1:55 am

The Smart Paint System is a stand alone unit. All that is required is power and an Ethernet interface to the network that your switcher is on. It comes pre-programmed with thousands of data elements for control of a couple of dozen parameters for up to 16 cameras simultaneously.

Typically I operate in a couple of different modes. One is with three or four parameters for up to eight cameras at once. This could be IRIS, PED, and FOCUS or IRIS, PED and GAIN etc. The other is what I call MSU (Master Set Up) mode. This gives you a separate PRESET page for up to 16 cameras. Each PRESET page gives you access to a couple of dozen PARAMETERS for each camera.

The control surface is user map-able. If you wanted to setup a PRESET page so that you could control saturation for 16 cameras at once, you could.

Other version can also control AUX buses, PGM, PVW, DSK, CUT, Auto transition, SmartScope and VideoHub.

I built this to mainly control the Blackmagic Designs Micro Studio camera. It is a great camera with HDSDI and Genlock it is positioned really well to be a GoPro killer in professional environments. And now with the Smart Paint system I am able to do a much faster and better match to other cameras.

I used the BMD Micro and Smart Paint controller on a Monkees concert last week for AXS TV. The System was used to match the BMD cameras with Sony HXC 100 cameras. I am sure you can find it online.

Mike, I use the BAZ GVG also. It is amazing what he has done. I understand the client eye-wash issues all to well.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Thanks,
John

Return to Live Production