MiniConverters 12 Volt powering

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

steve.ryder@stryder.tv

MiniConverters 12 Volt powering

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 4:22 pm

The original MiniConverters were limitd by their inability to be powered by a standard broadcast camera battery which when fully charged runs at 14.5V or more. This was a real pain for us that run sat trucks and the like as we were unable to power them in the middle of a field using the ubiquitous V mount camera battery without also having to have an impractical voltage converter.

We now have the new heavy duty mini converters and, according to the website, some of them seem to run at 12-30V and some of them at just the original 12V. For example the SDI to Analog runs at 12V but the Analog to SDI runs at 12-30V.

Is this correct? Or do they all run at 12-30V?

In the broadcast world we frequently need to run a long cable from a camera into a wallbox which may be composite and analog audio or it may be SDI. I would like to be able to run a single video from the camera SDI output to the wallbox and either feed SDI into the wallbox or break it out to composite and analog audio via the battery powered mini converter to feed the wallbox.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

Re: MiniConverters 12 Volt powering

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 8:52 pm

All of the second generation MiniConverters do. The website is correct. And I'll explain why.

The Heavy Duty converters are just recases of the original converters.

However, the Analog to SDI and the HDMI to SDI have had a hardware change. That is why they have the wide voltage range. The others have not had a hardware change and still run at 12V to <15V

The Battery Converters are new hardware and also have the wide range input.

So there is a little variance on the input ranges on our products right now, but generally we are migrating to a wider voltage input range.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

MarkSchlicher

PostSun Oct 21, 2012 4:22 am

Just came across this thread. I have an HDMI to SDI mini-converter (original casing) that, based on your website info, I thought would take 12-30V input. However, upon testing, it does not.

I contacted your tech support via email and the fellow tried to be helpful but was basically just quoting off of your website and was unaware of any changes in the design of the internals of this converter.

From your forum post, it seems that maybe the HDMI to SDI mini-converter was redesigned with the wider input voltage capability somewhere along the line. Can you confirm?

If so, can you tell me if my unit can be retrofit to accept wider input voltage (so I can run it from a camera battery) or if I would need to buy a new unit? Thank you.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 7:07 pm

If it says HDMI to SDI 2 on the the serial number it is a Gen 2. If it doesn't have the 2 on it, then it is a Gen 1
Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design Inc.

MarkSchlicher

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 7:27 pm

Thanks. So.... can a Gen1 unit be modified for the wider voltage range, or is a new purchase the only option?

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 8:12 pm

It cannot be modified, but you can add a voltage regulator to the input which should make sure you are always providing it with 12V DC. That would probably be a more effective solution.
Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design Inc.

MarkSchlicher

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 8:32 pm

Aside from the awkward and pricey $150 Switronix cable, I'm unaware of any standalone voltage regulator cables.

I've tried to source DIY components...I'm OK with soldering, but haven't found a correct switching regulator part.

Any suggestions for other options? I'm inclined to put my $150 toward a new mini converter unless there is a a compact and cost-effective solution.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 8:41 pm

I don't know of the component you'd want specifically. So if you are so inclined and the 150 dollar cable is the only viable option, then putting it towards a Gen 2 converter (perhaps selling the old one) might be the best way.
Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design Inc.

MarkSchlicher

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 8:47 pm

Thanks, that's the way I'm leaning.

This is for Steadicam use, so the less bulk and loose cables, the better.

MarkSchlicher

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 8:55 pm

While I'm on the subject...I have a Hyperdeck Shuttle (gen 1) that, of course, does accept 17vdc. I could theoretically use it for the task of converting HDMI to HDSDI, except that it doesn't handle the switchover to SD (480) that Canon 5Dmk2 and 60D's send to the HDMI connector when you roll record. This would seem to be a Hyperdeck firmware issue, but I have recently installed the latest firmware.

Any solution to this?

MarkSchlicher

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 9:15 pm

And one more question....I've seen mini-converters hooked up to Sony L-series batteries, which I believe are 7.2V. Will a gen 1 mini-converter run off of a 7.2V battery supply? Any concerns or considerations?

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 9:33 pm

I don't think so. I don't think 7.2V is enough on those units.
Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design Inc.

der_Stefan

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 10:42 pm

I got a bunch of D-Tap to DC-barrel adapter cables, where the 12V-Converter is soldered into the D-Tap-plug.
I suppose that's the smallest converter possible. powering by 14.4 Volt V-mount-batteries ...

Can send you a picture - looks like a simple adapter cable - same weight...

der_Stefan
life is hard - but the graphics are great

MarkSchlicher

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 11:06 pm

Thanks. Where did you get these cables?

You can send pic by PM...

der_Stefan

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 11:46 pm

It's custom-made on my demand.
D-Dap-plug was opened for soldering and then closed and nontensioned with hot glue.
german engineering ; )

I will upload a picture tomorrow...

der_Stefan

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 5:08 pm

der_Stefan wrote:german engineering ; )

Haha...German engineering is the best!

I'd like to see the image as well (for curiosity's sake)
Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design Inc.

jason sach

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 9:02 pm

i have used these little regulators in the past .

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?a ... m&id=K3220

i only installed the bits for the 12 volt output and then put heat shrink over the whole unit as it is very small, about 20mmx 45mm.

jason
www.tffmedia.com
www.valleyvision.com.au

der_Stefan

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 10:03 pm

Joshua Helling wrote:I'd like to see the image as well (for curiosity's sake)

And here it is *tamtamtam' ... :lol:
...pretty well done - nice looking 12-regulated power out of the box. It can't be smaller. :mrgreen:

This one is built for 12V/1A power, but I'm regulary using them as well for the ATEM TVS and SMART View DUOs. So you can power up to 12V/20W 24h per day. Using a 190Wh SWIT V-Mount accu I can power e.g. a SAMRT VIEW DUO for about 14 hours... MiniConverters works over several days without problems... Using these Plugs since 2012/01 and had no problems until now...

Hey Joshua, if BMD would put those plugs into every converter-box as a free extra, I guess the company would sell twice than now ;)

der_Stefan

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 5:19 pm

jason sach wrote:i have used these little regulators in the past .

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?a ... m&id=K3220

i only installed the bits for the 12 volt output and then put heat shrink over the whole unit as it is very small, about 20mmx 45mm.

jason

Yup, this would do it. Not a bad option as it's pretty small and looks like it could go inline pretty well (maybe with a small project box or something for protection. It says it will output 1.5A which is plenty, not quite enough for 2, but plenty for one. I assuming you have to make sure you have enough amps feeding it to achieve that number.
Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design Inc.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 5:22 pm

der_Stefan wrote:This one is built for 12V/1A power, but I'm regulary using them as well for the ATEM TVS and SMART View DUOs. So you can power up to 12V/20W 24h per day. Using a 190Wh SWIT V-Mount accu I can power e.g. a SAMRT VIEW DUO for about 14 hours... MiniConverters works over several days without problems... Using these Plugs since 2012/01 and had no problems until now...

Cool that looks great. Yeah, SmartView Duo requires close to 20W from what i've seen. ATEM TVS is a little lower I think like 18.

Is that a standard part somewhere? It's definitely a cool bit of kit.
Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design Inc.

MarkSchlicher

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 6:59 pm

Looks great, Stefan.

You built them yourself, yes? Would you be willing to sell me a couple? Or tell me where to buy the parts?

Feel free to PM me.

MarkSchlicher

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 7:03 pm

Joshua,

Can you comment on my question further up the thread about whether the first gen BM Hyperdeck Shuttle can be firmware-upgraded to properly handle the situation with some DSLR's downconverting the HDMI to SD when hitting "record"? My mini converter handles it, but not my Hyperdeck Shuttle. I'm unable to do any reference recording with HDS, nor use it as a converter with a Canon 60D or 5D mk2.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 26, 2012 6:49 pm

Sounds like the EDID handshaking is getting twisted up. It sound cumbersome but can you try disconnecting the cable between them and with the cable disconnected, power both devices on. Once they are both on, try to connect them and see if that works.
Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to Live Production