Macros Issues

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Jurgen Enneman

Macros Issues

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 10:02 am

I want to proper set up my keys with macos. Someone told me, when setting up macros, I'd first turn off all buttons and then put on the buttons to use.
I've done this on the 4 keys. Each key is a camera with a different background. I know how to reach that.

Problem is: When switching keys, sometimes a former key stays on air. How do I get around this?

Hoping for an answer, cause it's bugging me in learning keying setups.

Grtz,
Jurgen

JohnBengston

Re: Macros Issues

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 9:59 pm

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but no, just no!!

What you are trying to do is quite impossible without conditional branching within the the BMD Macros, and whereas as some might suggest it would be good if BMD added this, I'd suggest BMD support are quite some distance from being equipped to support that.

In case anyone disagrees, I guess your scenario works something like this:

Camera1 is the source to Key1 with Media Player 1 showing Still 1 as the matte.
Camera2 is the source to Key2 with Media Player 2 showing Still 2 as the matte.
Camera3 is the source to Key3 with External Renderer as the matte.

So you setup.

Macro 1 to put BKGD + USK1 in the next transition and MP1 on Preview
Macro 2 to put BKGD + USK2 in the next transition and MP2 on Preview
Macro 3 to put BKGD + USK3 in the next transition and External Renderer on Preview

So you run Macro1 and cut it to air.
All is Good.
You Run Macro 2 and Cut it to air, because USK1 is still in the next transition "All is Still Good", and you can cut between MP1 and MP2 on the background and USK1 and USK2 are now in the next transition, with one of them on air, you can cut between the 2 states and all is fine.
But now you run Macro 3, and you end up with all 3 USKs in the next transition, and it's gone bad.

You can get closer if hot-cutting, but even then you'll still have issues if not super-careful, and unless doing live sports, who wants to hot-cut anyway??

Totally useless! as you'll need to keep an eye on the next transition and manually take out the USKs you don't want, defeating the whole point.

Obviously this is the most basic of scenarios, and the ATEM macros can't handle it. As soon as you get into re-using Media Players and changing the Media Pool items instead of using a 3rd matte, the problems expand exponentially.

Said in the nicest possible way: You are wasting your time trying.

Instead you should do the logical thing and re-post your use-case here:

http://www.atemuser.com/forums/atem-vision-mixers/blackmagic-atems/just-macros

If you can do this, you'll have a fully working solution in less than 24 hours, probably a lot less.

Good luck with your project, hope to see you over on ATEMUser soon.

Jurgen Enneman

PostTue Jul 26, 2016 6:31 pm

Thanks John, for your answer.

Instead of feeling a total ass, I just found out how to use 4 keys with 4 camera's and different backgrounds.
It worked, I closed the software panel, started up and restored my saved settings. Still working!!

My 4 keys: Cam 1 with BCKG Left, Cam 2 with BCKG Front, Cam 3 with BCKG Right, Cam 4 with BCKG Total.
Real time cutting with my 4 keys on the mix-it, without interfering.

On the 5th camera I've got my hyperdeck in remote, also working like a charm.

So it is possible and I did it my way.... (gently knocking on my own shoulder).

People I work with, say I don't quit easily. For peoples interest, when setting up macros, load in specific order and you will get there.

JohnBengston

PostTue Jul 26, 2016 6:52 pm

Please post a link to your XML. I love being wrong, and learning new things, so I'd really like to experiment with the solution you have found.

Jurgen Enneman wrote:My 4 keys: Cam 1 with BCKG Left, Cam 2 with BCKG Front, Cam 3 with BCKG Right, Cam 4 with BCKG Total.
Real time cutting with my 4 keys on the mix-it, without interfering.

I don't really understand what you are saying here.

JohnBengston

PostTue Jul 26, 2016 8:02 pm

On trying to understand what you have said, and loving being wrong, I've realized my original analysis was in fact wrong, but wrong in that when running my definition of Macro 2, USK1 wouldn't stay in the next transition, and so whereas I thought you could use two macros to setup two Chroma Keyed cameras and successfully cut between them, in fact you cannot, and hence the situation is worse than I originally believed.

Therefore the solution you say you have found is even more intriguing!!

Please export the Macros you have created and if you cannot link to an XML file, please either post the XML text of your macros directly or email the details via a PM so everyone can share in your discovery.

Return to Live Production