Muting Video

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Mark Malburg

Muting Video

PostSun Aug 21, 2016 12:13 pm

We are sending an aux video output from an ATEM to a remote display. The signal needs to be muted remotely (not at the switcher). Muting the display itself (TV) gives a message on the screen. Cutting the signal with a physical switch gives a "no signal" indication on the TV. Is there any kind of low cost inline device that will toggle between a pass-through and a black video signal (HD-SDI 1080i)?

Thanks

Adam Simmons

Re: Muting Video

PostSun Aug 21, 2016 1:19 pm

Couldn't you just turn the volume on the TV down to it's lowest setting?
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Mark Malburg

PostSun Aug 21, 2016 1:40 pm

Sorry Adam.

I'm referring to a "video mute" (turning the video signal black while still maintaining a signal). I'm not dealing with audio.

Thomas Seewald

PostSun Aug 21, 2016 7:47 pm

Sorry, my TVS don't have aux. Can you send color generator or media pool to aux ? If yes, switch aux to a black color or black still,graphics....

For remote switching the aux, you could use an Arduino.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Xtreemtec

PostTue Aug 23, 2016 1:10 pm

Or switch to an unused input.. You will get a perfect black..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Thomas Seewald

PostTue Aug 23, 2016 6:30 pm

The signal needs to be muted remotely (not at the switcher).
Problem is not the signal, but to switch remote.....

Tobias Dietrich

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 8:12 am

What distance is "remotely" in this case.
I mean ATEM Software Control is runner over ethernet. So if you can just set up another laptop conected to the switcher and run the Software Control, you'd be able to change the Aux output.

Thomas Seewald

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 10:53 am

Maybe Mark tell us more about his needs....

Mark Malburg

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 11:35 am

Thanks for the ideas and input. The control needs to take place some distance from the switcher/control surface. I'm thinking of a "Plan A" and "Plan B" as follows.

The source that needs to be muted is a Mac computer playing a video. I'm planning on running to an AUX in the ATEM. The signal will be on an SDI run to the TV displays and converted to HDMI at the TV displays.

Plan A
Send the SDI cable past the Mac operator. Place a Kramer VP-460 at the Mac position with an empty input. Here's the hope: when switching to the empty input, the combination of the HDMI converter and the TVs will be such that we don't get the dreaded "No Signal" on the TVs.

Plan B
Build an Arduino-based switch that can be placed at the Mac position. The Arduino sketch will simply toggle the AUX's input between the Mac and BLACK. I might even get crazy and put an LED on the switchbox to help the media tech know when the send is "live".

Thoughts?

- Mark

Scott Smith

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 5:47 pm

He could install the atem software on his mac, and select a black input to the aux bus. Easy peasy.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Scott Smith

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 5:50 pm

Or simply switch to playing a black video (or graphic) through whatever program he is using to playback the main video. It helps if the video he's playing back initially has black padding at the end.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Mark Malburg

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 6:03 pm

Hi Scott,
We can't switch to black on the playing device as it needs to be playing on other displays via a different output. Basically, we need to be able to "video mute" a certain display as it's moved into place... while other displays are playing.

- M

MambaFiber.com

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 6:20 pm

BMD....this is a feature request...AGAIN.

If only we could use a smart control panel to switch ATEM aux bus outputs...not every need to switch the aux out happens at the switcher.

and i would NEVER give the guy who needs to control ONE aux out access to the ENTIRE live switcher with another copy of ATEM software on a second computer...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Mark Malburg

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 6:38 pm

Agreed Greg!

Evan Daum

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 7:43 pm

You could map just the aux controls you want to a USB keypad on a Mac using the ATEM Control Software and UI scripting. It works well.

-Evan

Thomas Seewald

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 7:12 am

I don't know Marks budget and time. A Arduino with Ethernet shield costs 40,- plus two switcher 10,- and a box, maybe 20,- (maybe two staus LEDs and resistors 1,-).

For less than 100,- €/$ you will get a save and easy solution. OK, two or three afterenoons for programming and building the box....

Scott Smith

PostThu Sep 01, 2016 9:26 pm

So, you install the ATEM software on the mac, you have an aux bus that feeds only that monitor -say AUX 1 - while the other monitors get PGM out or a different Aux, then you select the AUX 1 control on the ATEM software on the mac, and send that monitor - and only that monitor - black. Then, when ready, you switch that AUX1 back to PGM. Easy.

The only sketch part is that that operator has open the switcher software that has potential to screw things up. But he's playing back the video that is live at the time, so presumably the person is reliable.
Scott R Smith

Mark Malburg

PostThu Sep 01, 2016 10:19 pm

Right Scott. However, the ATEM software does give a lot of control. So I'm think ok I'll put together a little Arduino device that does just this task. The operator will only have access to one button and only one ATEM function.

Thanks

matthand

PostMon Sep 05, 2016 8:23 pm

Mark,

I think the Arduino may be the best solution for you. I also have been looking at devices by SKAARHOJ and if you aren't interested in taking the time you may be even interested in their new line of smart switches - skaarhoj.com/designs/micro-series/

Always more than one way to skin a cat.
Matt Hand
Hand in Hand Productions

Return to Live Production