HDLink Pro Optical replacement??

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Bruce Schultz

HDLink Pro Optical replacement??

PostSat Aug 27, 2016 11:40 pm

I am struggling to comprehend why BM has EOL'd the HDLink family with no drivers for 10.11

I have 2 optical HDLink units on my DIT cart for cameras A & B. I can run a camera feed (duplex LC) 1000' for one camera or 500' for two with the fiber optic LC cable. That beats the crap out of running just 100 - 200' max distance with SDI coax cables. The Teranex Mini doesn't look like a replacement as it appears to be designed as a down/cross converter and it has no SDI loop through so monitoring a signal on an SDI monitor looks impossible, and it's not listed as supported by Pomfort LiveGrade.

What's up with component video ??? No one has used that since SD days - unbelievable.

Anyway, I would like to know if;

A: BM is going to release 10.11+ drivers for HDLink units
B: If not, do they have a backup plan with new devices in the pipeline for HDLink owners.
C: Are there PC/Windows10 drivers for HDLink
D: What genius is in charge of this department at BM anyway??

Amazon, B&H and other retail outlets are still selling HDLink units, but without drivers they are going to get a lot of returns.

I looked into the AJA Fiber solution, but it's not duplex - you have to have an input & output unit therefore two fiber cables which totally defeats the purpose. I would love to hear that BM has just overlooked the 10.11 drivers, but it's been a long wait without results so far. I'm sticking with 10.10 for just this reason, maybe have to also hook up a Mac Mini just to keep using the HDlink Fibers, & at least I can still use Pomfort LiveGrade with the HDLink units.

Anyone with updated or new information - especially as it might relate to fiber optic system options, please chime in.

Scott Smith

Re: HDLink Pro Optical replacement??

PostTue Aug 30, 2016 4:54 pm

I don't know what features you use of the HDlink, so it is hard for me to say this is a direct replacement, but the AJA FiDO TR is a duplex unit, with one fiber in each direction. My guess is this is missing the monitoring options you want. They have a FiDO 2R that is 2 receivers, a 2T that is 2 transmitters, and a TR that is a duplex Transmit/Receive.

I agree with the objection to the model choices for the Teranex Minis. They don't have the most basic, obvious, common option in the Optical units, HD-SDI to Optical and Optical to HD-SDI. WTF?
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostTue Aug 30, 2016 9:51 pm

The latest HDLink drivers (version 3.5.5) seem to work fine with Windows 10 even though they only mention Windows 7 and Windows 8 in the release notes.

The Teranex Mini version that supports applying LUTs is the Teranex Mini SDI to HDMI which does have a loop through SDI output for monitoring. Although if you need to use LiveGrade this may not help that much. The Teranex Mini optical fiber versions aren't actually available yet, and it's not clear if any of these will support applying LUTs for monitoring anyway.

Bruce Schultz

PostWed Oct 05, 2016 12:01 am

Late reply, but this is what I did.

I need to do live color on set using up to 2 HDLink Optical units which I own. I bought a used Mac Mini for $200 and installed the Yosemite-working drivers for the HDLinks, and LiveGrade on it. It's the only thing I will be doing on this Mac Mini so I can keep it in Yosemite forever because I won't need to upgrade a thing for it to work. On my other 2 desktop processing Mac computers I can now upgrade from El Capitan upward without the worry of losing the ability to LiveGrade using the optical boxes.

As long as they keep working, I'm in good shape - fingers crossed

PS: I always have a small fan blowing across the HDLink units to keep them cool because the always run hot and then get wonky in the middle of a long day shooting.

Willian Aleman

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 10:32 am

Bruce Schultz wrote:I am struggling to comprehend why BM has EOL'd the HDLink family with no drivers for 10.11

I have 2 optical HDLink units on my DIT cart for cameras A & B. I can run a camera feed (duplex LC) 1000' for one camera or 500' for two with the fiber optic LC cable. That beats the crap out of running just 100 - 200' max distance with SDI coax cables. The Teranex Mini doesn't look like a replacement as it appears to be designed as a down/cross converter and it has no SDI loop through so monitoring a signal on an SDI monitor looks impossible, and it's not listed as supported by Pomfort LiveGrade.

Hi Bruce,
I'm a DIT based in NYC area.
I just got the FSI BoxIO (the dual channel). Two days using it with LiveGrade. So far so good.
The unit has two Loop Outs. It support 17.17.17 LUT in dual channels and 33.33.33 LUTs format when used in single channel.

Also, LiveGrade 3 supports Teradek Colr. In addition, Teradek just announced a Colr Duo, a two channel unit.

Does the HDlink Pro support dynamic live grading or is it just static?

Are you in New York City area?
Willian Aleman
New York City
USA

Resolve Studio
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)
MacOS: 10.15.7 (19H2)
processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphic: AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB

Return to Live Production