Help with 3D capture device

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Monthlymusic

Help with 3D capture device

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 9:38 am

Hi all, I'm building up a stereoscopic vision system for a microrobotic application and I need some advice since I'm new to this world.
Can you suggest me an affordable device ( 1000 $ or less) from Blackmagic that take a video input (S Video, Composite, SDI..) from a couple of cameras, combine them in a 3D format (side by side, frame packing, dual stream..) so I can see the live stream in a 3D monitor?
What about devices like Ultrastudio 3D or Decklink Extreme 3D? Do they need a PC for stereoscopic rendering or they can process the stream directly with their GPU or whatever?
Moreover, since most microcameras have an analogic video output, is it possible to genlock S-video or composite video?

Thank you.

Juan Salvo

Re: Help with 3D capture device

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 1:45 pm

I believe the hdlink 3d can do what you'd like. It's stand alone once you get it setup. I believe to do 3d you'd have to get the displayport version and use and hdmi adapter. But you'd have all sorts of muxing choices. There are also stand alone displays able to do this internally.

Monthlymusic

Re: Help with 3D capture device

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 2:05 pm

J_Salvo wrote:I believe the hdlink 3d can do what you'd like. It's stand alone once you get it setup. I believe to do 3d you'd have to get the displayport version and use and hdmi adapter. But you'd have all sorts of muxing choices. There are also stand alone displays able to do this internally.

Thanks for the answer.
I've seen that Decklink Extreme 3D has a Sync Input (Blackburst or Tri-Sync). Does it mean that it need an external genlocking signal to properly synchronize the 2 video input? Or it can use one SDI video input as clock reference and sync the other SDI video input automatically?

Return to Live Production