Bizarre Network Problem

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

David Devore

Bizarre Network Problem

PostSun Oct 09, 2016 1:38 pm

Hi!
I've got a BMD ATEM 2 M/E 4K and a 16x16 Videohub in a portable rack. I've got a small network setup in this rack for control network and file transfer between our on-site graphics and playback computers. We typically do not connect to the internet. I'm using a airport express to "drive" the network and a Netgear Prosafe JGS524 as the switch in the rack. Everything works like it should, computers connect to each other, and the internet (when plugged in), the videohub software connects and controls the router, EXCEPT THE ATEM.
I cannot, no matter what combination of settings I use, get the atem to connect to the 24 port switch. However, If I use a small 8 port netgear switch, connect the ATEM and a computer to that, and connect that to the large switch, everything works like it should. Its like the ATEM and the 24port are incompatible in some way, but its a dumb switch with no settings, no webpage, etc. What is happening?!?
Should I get a managed switch?

Imry Halevi

Re: Bizarre Network Problem

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 8:02 pm

The ATEM does not support DHCP. The IP address must be set manually.
Is it possible that the DHCP server in the first setup (the Airpot Express) is assigning IP addresses in a space that doesn't match what the ATEM is set for?

For example, it's possible that the Airport Express manages the 192.168... space, while the ATEM is set to an address in the 169.254... space?

Also possible that the ATEM doesn't have the router/gateway info set up properly.

Given that you are not connecting this setup to the internet, I would recommend you pay a lot of attention to your DHCP server. Perhaps use a router instead of a switch, which would allow you a lot more control and management over the IP space.

Nick Toale

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 10:43 pm

Your issue is the Airport Express router these will only play nicely with Apple they will get overloaded very quickly, a hateful piece of crap that should be launched at high speed powered my size 11's to somewhere else. Most Airport routers are underpowered due to the nature of how they interact on a network. ATEM is vey active on the network polling so can hammer underpowered routers. try connecting everything on the same network use a 192.168.1./24 Atem will support DHCP (my preferred way) i set the router to give the ATEM a particular IP based on MAC address / port plugin. If you need to do a wireless control option buy a better wireless AP. Your switch is fine

Scott Ryan

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 3:42 am

Nick Toale wrote:Your issue is the Airport Express router these will only play nicely with Apple they will get overloaded very quickly, a hateful piece of crap that should be launched at high speed powered my size 11's to somewhere else. Most Airport routers are underpowered due to the nature of how they interact on a network. ATEM is vey active on the network polling so can hammer underpowered routers. try connecting everything on the same network use a 192.168.1./24 Atem will support DHCP (my preferred way) i set the router to give the ATEM a particular IP based on MAC address / port plugin. If you need to do a wireless control option buy a better wireless AP. Your switch is fine

I used an Airport Extreme with a ATEM 2 ME 4k for a 26 day fair with a concert every night and not once did I have network problems. The year before I used an Airport Express for the same fair, roughly the same amount of days and never had any problems. Your statement about these routers only "play nicely with Apple" and getting overloaded quickly is completely false. I had an outside internet connection on these routers as well as a few other clients + the ATEM. No issues.

Also, it is never recommended to control an ATEM over wireless.

Return to Live Production