Micro Converters and Smart VideoHub 1920x1200 please!

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Eric Holmberg

Micro Converters and Smart VideoHub 1920x1200 please!

PostFri Oct 14, 2016 9:42 am

Im building some video infrastructure for my theatre (6 stages). We are currently using quite a lot of live cameras and projectors ( we are running 11 live cameras and 10 projectors simultaneously over all 6 stages). Today we are using point to point solutions over fiber for both 3G/HD-SDI and HDMI from cameras and 3G-SDI and DVI to projectors. I'm currently using BMD products for all XX-SDI, and Lightwave for HDMI and DVI distribution. Im looking for a single Matrix solution for distributing both XX-SDI and HDMI/DVI and it would be so nice if i could go all BMD and Smart Videohubs, but one of my main problems is the lack of suport for 1920x1200 of the HDMI and SDI in BMD products. Barco have their wonderful BARCO link that gives you 1920x1200@60 suport, its not a smite standard but 3G-SDI have suport for the bandwhith. So my question is Why cant BMD Suport none smite standards in HDMI-SDI products? I would make mine and so many others life so much easier!

JohnBengston

Re: Micro Converters and Smart VideoHub 1920x1200 please!

PostFri Oct 14, 2016 10:18 pm

Cool an excellent video mode question.... :D

Eric Holmberg wrote:So my question is Why cant BMD Suport none smite standards in HDMI-SDI products? I would make mine and so many others life so much easier!

You of course understand this question cannot and will not be answered!! Only BMD could answer this question, and the guys at BMD that do post here, won't have a true answer to this; just a party line of "our products support SMPTE standards as detailed on our specs pages".

I'd go further and ["Total speculation & opinion warning"], suggest it relates to BMDs origins, and their early products, specifically: SDI Decklink cards, which were all about allowing computers access to SMPTE spec video.

In the years that have followed, SDI has gone through a huge leap in video bandwidths from ~270Mb/s for the original SD cards, up to now ~12Gb/s. But during that time computers moved from VGA analogue migrated to DVI, HDMI and Displayport, which are a kind of separate set of standards for digital video transmission. BMD have always been about SMPTE standards rather than following what the IT industry does with displays.

At some point BMD may choose to carry other video standards for whatever reasons, but you are requiring such a niche use-case it's probably not worth the R&D effort for what is likely to be an undetectable increase in sales due to the added functionality.

Nick Toale

PostSun Oct 16, 2016 9:58 am

If you send it in on SDI on a Barco or any other 1920 x 1200 projector its still going to be a 1080 signal going in on SDI and sometimes HDMI depending on the colorspace gets scaled in the projector if you go full panel on the projector. Your TV cameras are 16:9. Why not run your infrastructure at 1080 including your projectors not sure i would be bothered about the loss of 120 pixels if you scale up to 16:10 your distorting your camera ratio.

Scott Smith

PostMon Oct 17, 2016 11:13 am

Black magic is made more for people who deal with broadcast standards. If you need other computer standards, you'll need to go with another company. Extron probably has some things up your alley.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Tom_Bassford

PostMon Oct 17, 2016 12:54 pm

Nick Toale wrote:If you send it in on SDI on a Barco or any other 1920 x 1200 projector its still going to be a 1080 signal going in on SDI

Sorry Nick that isn't correct Barco products support BarcoLink which is 1920x1200 over a single BNC (it's a tweaked timing 3g SDI signal)

Really if you need BarcoLink then get Barco routers.

Personally if I were building a mixed mode install currently I'd use Barco E2 processors for graphics / data switching and have camera / vision mix upstream of this using ATEM or Ross Carbonite Black switchers.
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Nick Toale

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 10:15 pm

Sorry Nick that isn't correct Barco products support BarcoLink which is 1920x1200 over a single BNC (it's a tweaked timing 3g SDI signal)
Yes Tom Tweaked signal not a pure SMPTE SDI Signal if you send a proper SDI signal not a Barco tweaked 3G Signal. I'm biting my tongue on my feelings for Barco products and there sales people. As in the words of Douglas Adams masterpiece "Belgium Man"

Eric Holmberg

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 6:05 pm

JohnBengston wrote:Cool an excellent video mode question.... :D

Eric Holmberg wrote:So my question is Why cant BMD Suport none smite standards in HDMI-SDI products? I would make mine and so many others life so much easier!

You of course understand this question cannot and will not be answered!! Only BMD could answer this question, and the guys at BMD that do post here, won't have a true answer to this; just a party line of "our products support SMPTE standards as detailed on our specs pages".

I'd go further and ["Total speculation & opinion warning"], suggest it relates to BMDs origins, and their early products, specifically: SDI Decklink cards, which were all about allowing computers access to SMPTE spec video.

In the years that have followed, SDI has gone through a huge leap in video bandwidths from ~270Mb/s for the original SD cards, up to now ~12Gb/s. But during that time computers moved from VGA analogue migrated to DVI, HDMI and Displayport, which are a kind of separate set of standards for digital video transmission. BMD have always been about SMPTE standards rather than following what the IT industry does with displays.

At some point BMD may choose to carry other video standards for whatever reasons, but you are requiring such a niche use-case it's probably not worth the R&D effort for what is likely to be an undetectable increase in sales due to the added functionality.

Yes you are right, its not even a question or at least a poorly formulated one... the question should b something like:
Dose anyone know if i could send a DVI/HDMI 1920x1200 60Hz over a coaxial 75 Ohm cable using BMD converters?
And then it the question of the first one is: No you can't!
Maybe the follow up question should be:
Dose anyone know what the obstacle is for BMD to send 1920x1200 @ 60Hz over a coaxial 75 Ohm cable?

I heard from BARCO that they can do it through BARCO-Link because they can control the internal clock on their 3G-SDI chip. Im not a engener and i don't really get the process they are using, but i kinda made sense.

I totally agree that that BMD when down the opposite road of the computer standards, but they are supporting HDMI so its not a super long shot to suport WUXGA.

And when it comes to sales i don't know if it would be super lucrative but i do know that a lot of rental companies and theatres would go all BMD for switching,routing and extend if there was a broder suport for computer graphics.

And sorry that i wrote "smite", Thank you autocorrect!

Eric Holmberg

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 6:13 pm

Nick Toale wrote:If you send it in on SDI on a Barco or any other 1920 x 1200 projector its still going to be a 1080 signal going in on SDI and sometimes HDMI depending on the colorspace gets scaled in the projector if you go full panel on the projector. Your TV cameras are 16:9. Why not run your infrastructure at 1080 including your projectors not sure i would be bothered about the loss of 120 pixels if you scale up to 16:10 your distorting your camera ratio.

When i talked to barco they said they are using the bandwidth from the sound stream in the 3G-SDI to push the additional 120x1920 pixels to achieve a full 1920x1200 so the bandwidth is there as i understad it. At my theatre we are using mainly d3 servers and are doing a lot of projection mapping and are actually using the full height and length of the projectors and i don't want to scale a 1920x1200 to 1920x1080 and then back to 1920x1200 because that will mess whit my alignment over 3 dimensional objects.
We are often using 2 or more projectors and blend them together over, lets say a 16x6 meter surface so then i want all of my height.
So looking the whole system to 1920x1080 would be a massive disadvantage.

Eric Holmberg

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 6:22 pm

Scott Smith wrote:Black magic is made more for people who deal with broadcast standards. If you need other computer standards, you'll need to go with another company. Extron probably has some things up your alley.

Thats absolutely true, but in my line of work on the theatre and TV events its linked together more and more. I loked at an Extron installation for my theatre but it could be almost a 100 000€ installation and if i would go whit BMD it would be a 15 000€ installation. And BMD have more products that are handling SDI so if BMD would suport WUXGA it would be my preferred installation.

Eric Holmberg

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 7:40 pm

Tom_Bassford wrote:
Nick Toale wrote:If you send it in on SDI on a Barco or any other 1920 x 1200 projector its still going to be a 1080 signal going in on SDI

Really if you need BarcoLink then get Barco routers.

Personally if I were building a mixed mode install currently I'd use Barco E2 processors for graphics / data switching and have camera / vision mix upstream of this using ATEM or Ross Carbonite Black switchers.

or my purpose its overkill, expensive and would ad unnecessary latency if i would base my installation on an e2. and i have some Panasonic projectors in my Theatre and the cheapest productThat can cross convert BARCOLink is the PDS ant that lists from 3000€ so thats a lot.

Return to Live Production