Decklink Quad and delay

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

fordry

Decklink Quad and delay

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 9:16 am

I am curious with its bypass feature if the quad can capture video and allow to be processed by a program on a computer and output each input in real time (0 delay) without processing. Basically just a capture and bypass with no delay. The specs say it will bypass in the event of a system failure but it doesn't say if this functionality can be used in conjunction with normal capturing.

Ivan Tanaskovic

Re: Decklink Quad and delay

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 9:33 am

From my experience, the bypass output work even capture process (program) fails or crashes because loop-thru relays remains closed..

fordry

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 6:06 pm

Yes but does any delay get introduced at all from input to output?

Ivan Tanaskovic

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 8:44 pm

Loop-thru means signal is passed without any processing, so again that means 0 latency. Basically there's relay that physically connects input on output every time when driver starts capture process on selected channel.. At least that's how I understood it regarding black magic quad card.. Maybe someone from BM tech guys can confirm this.

fordry

PostSat Feb 23, 2013 9:46 am

Thats also what I assume, but at $950 I don't want to assume too much about the card's abilities. The wording of the feature is somewhat unclear as it only references a catastrophic failure and not normal operations and it implies that something changes when a failure occurs. I just want to make sure that I hear it from someone who knows for sure that it does indeed operate this way.

Ivan Tanaskovic

PostSat Feb 23, 2013 12:02 pm

I agree with you. Best way is that if you can to borrow one from someone and test it before you buy it, that's how I ended with two of them, but only when I had one for a week test.. Check with your distributor and ask politely.

Return to Live Production