Studio Camera HD DC power failure

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

RichardJolly

Studio Camera HD DC power failure

PostMon Nov 28, 2016 7:31 pm

We have 2 x Studio Cameras HD and have experienced the same issue with DC power failure on three occasions. I use the words "DC failure" because I am not yet clear about the cause. On each occasion the battery begins to drain even though the camera is connected to the supplied PSU. Trying everything, swapping PSU's, checking AC supply, wiggling cable for dsicontinuities, switching off and on, using a completely different PSU seems to have no effect until the camera suddenly begins charging again.

On the first two occasions, once doing camera line-ups at base, the second in the middle of a live UN conference, a single camera switched off of its own accord, evidently when the battery was exhausted (nobody had noticed the state of the battery indicator). It eventually began charging again after trying everything above, without being able to attribute the recovery to any one cause. We obviously suspected a PSU failure or loose connection between PSU and removable pins.

The third occasion was much more of a cause for concern. With two Micro Studio Cameras and two Studio Cameras HD set up for a live event, BOTH of the latter failed to show DC power or charging on the morning of the event with an hour to go, having been set up and run for several hours the day before. They had been powered down overnight, but the PSUs were left connected and probably powered.

Having tried everything again as above with no success, we borrowed a 15V PSU from a TV crew and this produced a DC power/charging indication on the camera display, but did not in fact charge the battery, so we were back to square one in that we would be left with only camera powered, so we prepared to use a DSLM instead.

I took the 4-pin XLRs apart and both connections looked sound.

Some time later both cameras did begin to work correctly, both charging from the supplied PSUs, and continued to work normally for the following 24 hours, and after being switched off again overnight.

Can PSUs be intermittent, failing and then recovering after resting? Intermittent cables or PSU connections to pins seem unlikely on both cameras at once. The items are well treated and repacked in their original packaging after each shoot. I am wondering whether this could be a software issue, which would explain why it has happened repeatedly and on two units simultaneously. Could it be that the software doesn't always recognise that a DC source is connected, or doesn't recognise the voltage? I am also at a loss to explain why a different and physically larger AC adaptor did not recharge the battery. Could uneven AC supply be to blame? The location was a large 4-star hotel and we were also running three dozen other pieces of equipment including a small 13 Amp lighting rig and did not notice any other problems.

One difficulty and shortcoming of the display is that it only shows battery charging and not the presence of DC power, as far as we could tell. Once charged the battery indicator shows a full battery and 100%, but no DC lighting flash, so it is not possible to tell whether DC is working until the battery level falls.

Xtreemtec

Re: Studio Camera HD DC power failure

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 12:01 pm

Sounds like you have these problems after running for a while.. Not at start of your events..

My guess is that the internal power unit is shutting down on heat issues.. And the battery will kick in..

Once that part has cooled down it starts charging again..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

RichardJolly

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 3:40 pm

As you say Daniel, you might think it was a heat issue, except that in two instances the cameras had been switched off all night and failed to find DC input in the morning. So is the common factor the camera being left connected to AC power all night, so the answer might be to disconnect the cameras and PSUs from AC overnight? Does anyone know whether the camera charges the battery when switched off?

Xtreemtec

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 5:52 pm

You left the power on, which did charge the battery in the first place.. But still kept this power hardware under power and heat up.. So if the problem is the power hardware inside the camera then this is very feasable.. But i really like to hear from other users if they experience the same..

just for info? do you use sdi cable or fiber?
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

RichardJolly

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 7:08 pm

We usually use a mixture of long and short (2-30m) LC duplex patch cords and 8-way LC multicore with breakout boxes (8 cores, 4 cameras, 30 & 100m). For very short runs I have on occasion used 2 x SDI installation cables (i.e. thin and lightweight, we travel a lot by public transport) or HDMI for very short runs to unattended wide cameras. The breakout boxes are a nightmare, have fallen off the ends of the cables several times, but cheap. I should replace these with armoured individual fibre tails which I have seen in Spain.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 9:25 am

Oke fiber so you have a SFP inside the camera.. Is this an original SFP of BMD?
SFP's cause heat and draw power too..

I don't say this could be the problem.. But i really think there is some issue with the internal power that is getting hot and shuts down in temp protection..
But you only know if more people have this problem..

RichardJolly

PostFri Dec 02, 2016 12:47 pm

Update: have since done more testing. It seems that when the battery is fully charged the BMSCHD cameras will only show the DC lightning flash if DC power is applied after switching on the camera. If DC power is applied before switching on the camera, the battery full indicator continues to be displayed even when the DC is present.

It does appear to be possible to make the lightning flash appear and disappear by manipulating the connector, on either of two cameras, but not in a predictable way, so I wonder if the microswitch in the DC socket might be the cause of this? Unlike other video cameras I have used, the switch appears to be in the side of the socket rather than at the end, if indeed it is a switch at all.

The only lesson so far seems to be, apply the DC after switching on the camera if you want to be sure you have power to the camera.

Xtreemtec

PostSat Dec 03, 2016 9:40 am

I don't think there is a switch in the 4pin xlr.. The normal way is to check if there is power applied to the port to sense if there is external power supplied..
What you are seeing is probabbly the earth pin.. There is a piece of metal that slides against the outside of the connector of the power supply to ensure correct grounding.

What you are telling that the indicator is showing or not whether you power it up with supply or not sounds like a software bug..

Are you running the latest software on these camera's? If so report it in a ticket to BMD. so they can fix this in a future update ;)

RichardJolly

PostWed Dec 07, 2016 3:55 pm

Further update: Just ran another event today with 2 x Studio Cameras and 2 x Micro Studio Cameras. This time one of the Studio Cameras was showing no charging when switched on and then plugged into DC power, and the battery level was gradually dropping, but again manipulating the DC XLR connector seemed to cure the problem. I am, however, still favouring the software explanation over a faulty cable.

RichardJolly

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 9:21 am

Update: I have finally dispensed with the BMD-supplied PSU on all 4 x Studio Cameras (HD & 4K) and replaced them with a higher Amperage PSU from Ebay,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-5A-4-pin ... 2749.l2649

This fits into the original BMD protective packaging (just, without AC cable) and cures the problem, which is evidently caused by the camera not sensing the lower-rated PSU supplied by BMD after a very short period in use, and I must assume that this is either because the sensitivity of the camera circuit reduces over time, or, more likely, because the output Amperage of the PSU drops marginally with use and falls below the threshold of the sensing circuit. Will an electronics engineer please correct me if this appears to be wrong?

This is a fundamental fault which BMD have never acknowledged.

CCChristie

PostFri Jul 08, 2022 2:25 pm

Hello Xtreemtec,

I am having a very similar problem with the original HD Studio Camera. If I always keep the camera plugged in. When I turn it on, the Batt shows 100%, and the camera turns off within 2 minutes. I pull out the power plug from the side of the camera and wait about 20 secs, and plug it back in. When I turn the camera back on, the Batt show 0%. I wait a few minutes and turn the camera on again, and it shows the camera at some level and charging. Could this be a firmware issue, a power supply issue, or a camera issue? Please advise.

How do I update the firmware? I have not done that since I bought it several years ago.

Thanks & Blessings, Chuck.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jul 11, 2022 8:08 am

Well chuck sounds like your battery died in the original HD. Which is pretty common if you leave them plugged in all the time for over several years. ;)

CCChristie

PostTue Oct 11, 2022 2:54 pm

Can the Battery be removed from the Original HD & 4K Studio Cameras? I've noticed the newer ones are being sold without batteries. I do not need the batteries for my location!

If so, what is the best way to accomplish that task?

Thanks.

Chuck

Return to Live Production