12G SFP Modules by Blackmagic

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

marco.rychlik

12G SFP Modules by Blackmagic

PostWed Nov 30, 2016 8:49 am

Hello,

does anybody here knows, when dose the 12G SFP (Like 6G and 3G) modules are available?

I have ab big project in Switzerland and i need a timeline. Blackmagic please help me ;-)
Also the question about fiber to SDI 12G and back with Teranex Mini.... We have to go over HDMI :lol:

cheers marco
11 x URSA BROADCAST G2 // 4 X POCKET 6K // 288 CrossPoint FULL // 72 CrossPoint // 2 x ATEM CONSTELLATION //5 X ATEM MINI // and obviously more.

Scott Smith

Re: 12G SFP Modules by Blackmagic

PostWed Nov 30, 2016 12:24 pm

You could try one of these . . .
https://www.embrionix.com/product/subfa ... -sdi-emsfp

They have converters as well. So, maybe? No guarantees from me, and no idea where to buy them of how much they cost. But they do exist.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 9:18 am

The Embrionix are dual transmitter or dual receiver only at the moment.. And quite expensive.. $500+ a piece..

There are several manufacturers busy with getting the 12G SFP's to market.. But the high troughput without error correction is a problem they are solving right now.
(you can not use error correction on SDI video.. *Search google for pathelogical pattern sdi* ) Yes there are data sfp's with troughputs of 40Gbit and 100Gbit.. But they are no use for SDI video because of the Error correction in the SFP..
http://www.gigalight.com/news_detail/newsId=157.html

There is 1 brand available right now that offers 12G sfp's for video.. But still dual receiver or dual sender.. (which are probabbly the Embrionix units rebranded to AJA.
http://www.markertek.com/product/aja-fi ... ingle-mode

Don't forget that 12G standard (While BMD already makes 3 years of 12G products..) The standard is officially released in 2015 as far as i can find.. So the market will slowly adopt that standard. (or not! Sony said they will never go to 12G.. Rather use 4x 3Gsdi for 4K or go IP..)

So give it some time or be the first adopter and buy the AJA/Embrionix modules and give a feedback if it works on the BMD gear..

If you need 4K hdmi there are several options beside BMD that are readily available..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Fabrice Lorenceau

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 9:05 pm

I have finally found some 12G modules that are multi-source agreement (MSA) -- aka they use a standard and work with all equipments that are MSA.

Just reach out to the guys at opto-media(dot)com
I just emailed them and did a deal via email and got them by mail (I had met them at NAB)

Embrionix is also a solution but the MSA versions are announced for end of 2017. These will also probably work with BMD equipment when they come out. Otherwise they have non-MSA ones but to use with their own embrionix Fiber-SDI converters. I didnt want to invest in that.

I used the Opto Media successfully with a BMD Talkback at 12G speeds (up to 60fps in UHD)
Their 12G SFP cost around 450 USD a piece.

I use this in the Talkback to control the cameras. On the camera side since BMD still doesnt offer any 12G option you can use either Lynx AG or others.

For transmitting (if you want to send the signal from the camera and control it) you can use a Lynx AG converter:
Lynx Technik AG yellobrik 12Gb Single-Mode Fiber Optic/SDI Transceiver (available for instance at B&H)

Note: I dont know what the deal is because BMD had announced they would be bringing TICO converters (basically 12G that is compressed to 10G with a small JPEG-2000 compression done by a chipset) to the market but it's been nearly 2 years... Meanwhile they say there are not SFP that work with their equipment which is not accurate.

Return to Live Production