Advice for Ursa Mini Broadcast unit set-up

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Sajawal Waseem

Advice for Ursa Mini Broadcast unit set-up

PostWed Dec 28, 2016 7:01 pm

Hello Guys,

Im in the process of setting up a new broadcast unit for my studio using the Ursa Mini with B4 lens (via B4 adapter) and the blackmagic ursa studio viewfinder. Im new to the blackmagic environment and therefore have a few questions.

I apologise if these questions seem to be very simple.

I wanted to ask which SDI cable will be ideal for this set up? From what i learned from BM's website I see that a 3G SDI is recommended for 1080 video. Since im using a B4 lens and the TV standard is 1080, that is what I need. Can you guys recommend any good cables/manufacturer?

Also are there any guides available for setting up a broadcast unit with Ursa Mini? I came across Bob Zelin's post https://library.creativecow.net/zelin_b ... v_studio/1 which is very helpful but if there is something out there focusing on the Ursa Mini, it would be great.

Denny Smith

Re: Advice for Ursa Mini Broadcast unit set-up

PostThu Dec 29, 2016 6:22 pm

The Ursa Mini PL (not the EF model) can be used easily in a broadcast environment. The B4 setup uses an actual B4 mount that replaces the PL mount (not an adapter), but has an optical correction block for the 3-CCD ENG lenses, and is shimable to get correct back focus on ENG zooms, along with the required 12pin lens power/control connection.

There are a lot of B4 ENG zooms available, but only the newer HD B4 zooms will George you satisfactorily results, and offer full lens control via the camera or ATEM CCU. Also, be sure your lens has the 12-pin cable connection, as there are some lens that only use the Sony style,"hot" B4 connection in stead of the cable.

Most good high bandwidth SDI BNC (75-ohm coax) cables will work. 3G is a minimum HD SDI bandwidth. I use Canare L2.5 CHD cables, for camera connections, as they are very flexible and are 3/6G SDI capable.
I would avoid solid center conducter coax for camera connections, but they are fine for short patch cables.
DS
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Sajawal Waseem

Re: Advice for Ursa Mini Broadcast unit set-up

PostFri Jun 02, 2017 9:34 am

Hello Denny,

Thank you for your reply. I apologise for replying really late.

Yes, my bad, its not an adapter but a mount itself. We went with the Cannon HD B4 lens and since it plugs right into the Ursa mini, we have full control. Its a coincidence that we also ended up buying our cables from Canare.

Return to Live Production