Canon CN7x17 Cine-Servo (17-120mm) EF Mount & Ursa Mini 4.6K

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Matt Penn

Canon CN7x17 Cine-Servo (17-120mm) EF Mount & Ursa Mini 4.6K

PostTue Jan 03, 2017 6:07 pm

We have a Canon CN7x17 KAS S Cine-Servo 17-120mm EF Mount Zoom Lens that we pair with an Ursa and Ursa Mini 4.6k EF and it produces wonderful images. It has a 12 pin Broadcast connector for power & communication on ENG B4 style cameras (including the Ursa Mini 4.6k PL) as well as apparent lens communication through the EF Mount itself with Canon C300MKII once the lens firmware has been updated.

We'll need to send the lens to Canon for the mentioned firmware update in order for full lens control to become available on our C300MKII, but I'd like to know if anyone has used this lens with an EF Ursa or Ursa Mini 4.6k and had any successful iris/focus control, or even zoom demand control via ATEM?

Currently when the lens has power, I can see passive communication such as f-stop.
Post Production Supervisor / Director / Cinematographer / Editor

Denny Smith

Re: Canon CN7x17 Cine-Servo (17-120mm) EF Mount & Ursa Mini

PostTue Jan 03, 2017 6:51 pm

The lens mount communication with the new Canon zoom is likely very proprietary, and another user has reported no luck with getting lens control through the Ursa Mini. Canon designed the EF mint version to be used with their C300, not likely it will have full lens control via the EF mont with BM Ursa or Mini, as Canon is not sharing the new communication with anyone else. Canon even is doing the firmware updates in house, not via user, so the code does not get out of their control. Canon added the 12-pin connection for standard ENG comms lens control, when using the lens on a non Canon camera.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Allan Stevenson

PostThu Jan 05, 2017 12:22 am

Hey Matt,
Not the exact same lens, but we will be testing the new canon EF 18-80 servo zoom lens on an URSA mini EF soon with Canon Canada's sales and marketing team. This is an area the national sales rep said he is very invested in. The purpose of the test will be to check if the camera provides enough power to the lens to run all 3 motors and to check if data (iris, zoom and focus) is getting through the mount to the lens.

BMD says they are waiting to get the lens and see how their data is getting through to the lens. They say they will update the camera's firmware so the cam will communicate properly. As for power, they say there is enough at the mount to run all 3 lens motors.

FYI regarding servo controls... Canon says a "Y" cable to the lens from the zoom and focus controls will allow for a standard studio setup.

I will post our findings once complete.

AS

Patrick Zagury

PostTue May 09, 2017 8:15 pm

Any update on this?
Thanks
Patrick

Matt Penn

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 5:19 pm

Hi folks, it's been a busy shooting year, and only now am I getting ready to send our canon 17-120 servo lens to have the firmware updated for improved control with Canon C300MkII cameras.

Has anyone had any success controlling lens functions with an Ursa Mini 4.6k or an Ursa Mini Pro (which has the lens hirose connector) camera as of today?
Post Production Supervisor / Director / Cinematographer / Editor

Peter Gould

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 8:39 pm

Matt Penn wrote:We have a Canon CN7x17 KAS S Cine-Servo 17-120mm EF Mount Zoom Lens that we pair with an Ursa and Ursa Mini 4.6k EF and it produces wonderful images. It has a 12 pin Broadcast connector for power & communication on ENG B4 style cameras (including the Ursa Mini 4.6k PL) as well as apparent lens communication through the EF Mount itself with Canon C300MKII once the lens firmware has been updated.

I'm looking at kitting out a studio with three Mini Pros and CN7x17 17-120's with rear controls. Were you able to get complete control over the lens after your firmware update, or at least reliable Iris control? We have the choice between EF and PL mounts - any insight on what turns out to be best based on your experience?

TIA!

Weston Woodbury

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 2:16 am

Peter Gould wrote:
Matt Penn wrote:We have a Canon CN7x17 KAS S Cine-Servo 17-120mm EF Mount Zoom Lens that we pair with an Ursa and Ursa Mini 4.6k EF and it produces wonderful images. It has a 12 pin Broadcast connector for power & communication on ENG B4 style cameras (including the Ursa Mini 4.6k PL) as well as apparent lens communication through the EF Mount itself with Canon C300MKII once the lens firmware has been updated.

I'm looking at kitting out a studio with three Mini Pros and CN7x17 17-120's with rear controls. Were you able to get complete control over the lens after your firmware update, or at least reliable Iris control? We have the choice between EF and PL mounts - any insight on what turns out to be best based on your experience?

TIA!

Peter,

FWIW:

I've put together a setup for a client with 3 working Canon CN-E Compact-servo's (all communication and control through the EF mount) and 2 PL fujinons. FIZ controls all work fine -- the zoom software control needs the latest cam firmware to sort through some bugs, to be at 100% functioning. We ran F and Z operator demands on the Fujinons and all works exactly as expected, except usual talkback open mic button/customizing the buttons at all isn't there. Most of the buttons seem to toggle record unfortunately, but program return works okay.

The CN7x17 is in the URSA Mini manual, supported as a PL mount. So my guess is you'll need to power it through a short cable to the 12pin connector on the body of the camera. But, it should work and the demand units should work, as well as iris control either through the camera or software remotely when the lens is set to this setting on the servo. The manual only list the 2 compact-servos as supported via EF mount only, so I'm guessing a CN7x17 EF may run into issues. It might work but doesn't appear to be officially supported. The PL is going to be a much more secure fit anyway, though, just 2c there.

Hope that helps,
cheers

- ww :mrgreen:

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 2:53 am

With a big lens like that, I would go with PL mount and use the Connection cable.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Peter Gould

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 5:00 am

Weston Woodbury wrote:The PL is going to be a much more secure fit anyway, though, just 2c there.

Perfect. Thanks.

Pete

Peter Gould

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 5:00 am

Denny Smith wrote:With a big lens like that, I would go with PL mount and use the Connection cable.
Cheers

Pretty much. What I was thinking. Thanks!

Return to Live Production