A poll on some Interface Features for 3.6

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

sharyn

A poll on some Interface Features for 3.6

PostThu Feb 28, 2013 11:26 am

Are any people interested in:

The ability to use the Scroll Wheel on a mouse to move the audio faders and the T Bar

The ability to have a dockable switcher that you could Add another tab (for example the Audio tab)

An expansion on the switcher panel to add a Clock and the EXT and Main audio control section from the Audio tab.

I know we have a thread on feature requests but this might show how many folks would be interested in these

If you have more details on these items that you posted on the Features thread, provide a link to it
I am just thinking that if there is detail and some sort of counter of number of interested users it might help move some of these up in the priority list

Sharyn

Tom_Bassford

Re: A poll on some Interface Features for 3.6

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 12:15 pm

Again they should make the core functions work properly before worrying about mouse scroll wheels.

There is an SDK if you want to make your own interface with wheel support and display of whatever on whichever tab / whatever. you could even build an interface which works on netbooks with crap screen resolutions. Any of these products will be minority interest and are thus ideal for 3rd party / custom development based on the SDK.

BMD should be working on core functions, not messing about with the control software.

cheers
tom
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

sharyn

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 12:59 pm

While I understand your position, you need to remember that just because you do not have any interest in something does not mean that others might have an interest.. In addition if you look at the BMD development people it is highly likely that they are divided into different groups with different focus, so people working on the control software are quite likely not to be the people working on the core functions that you are looking for.

As as always BMD will look at requests, decide what they are interested in doing, and look at resources available and make decisions. There are a lot of people who might have different priorities than you do, and there are a lot of people who just use the computer software interface and they MIGHT be interested in some basic improvements.

A point that Tom B. might miss is that it is on forums just like here that third party developers see users interests and do decide to develop apps that can address them. Would Strata ever have been developed it if were not for forum feature requests, and also feed back?

IMO discouraging people from making requests for features that they have interest in is not useful

Sharyn

sharyn

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 2:06 pm

Tom_Bassford wrote:Again they should make the core functions work properly before worrying about mouse scroll wheels.

BMD should be working on core functions, not messing about with the control software.

cheers
tom

Have you considered that it is very likely that the person doing the control software is NOT a FPGA programmer, and that that control software team might be interested in feedback and feature requests that are likely to have very little impact on core functions?.

Robert Betzner

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 5:36 pm

Sharyn,

allthough I agree that some people want features that not everyone needs, Tom is right when he says that BMD should make the core functions work first.

In my opinion this is the biggiest issue with BMD. You can't trust this company because they are realeasing products that don't have the features that they advertise. F.e. the Hyperdeck is NOT a replacement of a broadcast deck. It is currently just a better toy because it lacks ALL timecode funtionality that is essential to any professional user.

Same for some ATEM functions. BMD has to learn to make all core functions work FIRST and not start to add features that may be useful for some users but leave the product "half-ready". With this policy they wont be able to get rid of their very poor reputation.

I mean it is essentially for a product like the ATEM switcher line to FIRST make everything stable and make all core functions work. When BMD completes this task it is time to add new features. I think the most people want to work with the products and have to rely on the stability and working features. F.e. until today it is not possible to store SuperSource setups which is essential for any user of this feature. I think the most people using the ATEM line don't play with them but make money by using them professionally. And no professional user would ever work with a product that is only "half-ready".

Cheers

pro

Daniel

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 7:08 pm

I'd be harsh and say that I don't feel any further development should be made to the software panel - some of us have spent much more money with BMD for the hardware panel and so surely it should be those who have made that further investment who get the most value in future development.

sharyn

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 7:12 pm

The issue is that you are NOT the typical user, and at the same time fail to understand that the engineering group at BMD has different groups with different functions and adding or correcting the issues you are having is important but is VERY LIKELY NOT BEING DONE BY THE SAME PEOPLE AS THE SWITCHER SOFTWARE. The People at BMD understand what they need to do to fix or add missing features, but at the same time getting a lost of wishes from the user base is a very useful function. When companies implement development plans and priorities having an additional wish list is useful, can insure that nothing is done in the development for core features that would prevent some of the wishes IF the company wants to implement them from being locked out in the future

At the feature set you are looking for, BMD has a lot of competition, and a small market, at the Lower end BMD has little or no competition and a huge market. The Profit is going to be made from the THOUSAND sold to the low end vs the hundreds sold to the high end. It is Like the Behringer X32, they are going to and are selling TENS OF THOUSANDS of them, vs selling a few thousand at the high end.

Sharyn

Robert Betzner

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 7:26 pm

Sharyn,

it is as simple as that:

Nobody needs a vision-switcher that can do almost everything but only half way.
That is the reason why all experienced users claim that BMD should first solve all software problems and add the misssing features before putting effort (and man power) into new features.

Even right now a lot of people ask me if they should buy an ATEM. I cannot recommend that right now because of the way BMD deals with marketing/promotion/missing features. That is a HUGE drawback for this company. And guess what - I'm not the only one. I know of 12 people who bought a Tricaster instead beause of the "way" BMD adresses serious issues with heir products and keep telling thing that are not true.

Cheers

pro.

sharyn

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 7:33 pm

Daniel wrote:I'd be harsh and say that I don't feel any further development should be made to the software panel - some of us have spent much more money with BMD for the hardware panel and so surely it should be those who have made that further investment who get the most value in future development.

It may be hard to believe but BMD is likely to also consider Future customers and those that are more likely to use the computer interface, the Idea of restricting development and future customers for the entry level solution is probably not going to happen. Certainly you are not implying to no one will buy the Hardware controller if the software controller is improved.? Then again BMD certainly would look at the fact that once development cost is completed the unit cost for the software is minimal with high margins.

Sharyn

Return to Live Production