Live stream 360 video at 4K over LAN

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Simon de Swardt

Live stream 360 video at 4K over LAN

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 9:19 pm

Hi guys
I am researching streaming options. In a few months time, I am doing a 360/VR demo at a music festival and I would like to be able to live stream a 4k 360 feed from a stage at a concert to the demo area. Internet will not be good so I need to be doing this over a LAN.

Distance from concert stage to VR demo area is probably about 200m.

Can anyone help suggest what my options are? In terms of hardware, encoders, decoders, VR apps that can decode HEVC/H265 etc.

Assume the 360 camera feed is already stitched into an equirectangular format and delivered over either HDMI or SDI, so no need to worry about that.

Any suggestions what I should look at?

Jack Fairley

Re: Live stream 360 video at 4K over LAN

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 10:45 pm

JPEG2000 will be lowest latency for this purpose if you must send it over network. Are you sure you can't send the signal without encoding/decoding, perhaps over fiber?
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Denny Smith

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 1:31 am

Fiber would be the way to to, even on a LAN, you may need fiber cable to handle the bandwidth, depending on the type of LAN you want to use. What, bit rate is your 4K signal? A typical common LAN switch can handle up 1Gig Bps, depending on the setup.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

William Bevin

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 5:32 am

Fiber it is. I'm not sure the connection to your camera HDMI or SDI? SDI is only reliable,at 4K,for about 125-150'(maybe 250' with a DA) until we get 12G, and even then 600'...whew(hdmi is out of the question of course)You will need HDMI or Sdi to fiber converter. Just a word of caution; if you go with BMD, all components need to be BMD. There isn't a standard so mixing manufactures doesn't work. What kind of encoding software are you looking at? I would love to try one that can stitch 360. Lets us know!

Jeremy Rollinson

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 9:23 am

I'm new(ish) to video but have been building networks on music festivals worldwide for over 10 years. This has meant ever closer co-operation with video production teams on everything from small launch events to the largest music festival brands.

If latency is your biggest concern connect with the festival production team and find out who is handling video production. They may already be planning fiber runs along your path and could easily connect you into their video network. Thast's the traditional route for video.

You asked about LAN though so.....Your transmission options increase to include high capacity outdoor wireless (that's how most outdoor festival networks are delivered) and even Ethernet. With a switch in between the two locations you beat the 100m physical limit.

I'm assuming this is for a sponsor activation? If it's a US, UK or Aus event I probably know the network delivery company who will be providing connectivity. Most now offer a service that includes physical connectivity on a private VLAN with endpoints at multiple locations.

I'd be interested to hear more as VR streaming for events is the main driver for my increased interest in Video.

Simon de Swardt

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 8:27 am

Jack Fairley wrote:JPEG2000 will be lowest latency for this purpose if you must send it over network. Are you sure you can't send the signal without encoding/decoding, perhaps over fiber?

I am not concerned with latency. We can provide headphones and people listen to the synced audio from the stream.

Thanks everyone for weighing in on fibre from my side to the VR zone. Fibre sounds good but probably a bit expensive with the cable, converters etc. Ideally I would like to run this signal over ethernet - but that has a max distance of 100m, correct?

I need to be streaming so that the 360 feed can be viewed on an app on Google cardboard. (as well as Vive and Daydream)

I saw this yesterday which looks like a workable solution:
https://www.wowza.com/solutions/streami ... -streaming

My only issue is the distance - it looks like fibre is the one option and the others are:
Jeremy Rollinson wrote: high capacity outdoor wireless (that's how most outdoor festival networks are delivered) and even Ethernet. With a switch in between the two locations you beat the 100m physical limit.

Jeremy - what equipment is needed for "high capacity outdoor wireless"? What should I look at/Google? I will be working with the ISP engineers to set-this network up but I need to properly understand exactly what my own needs are.

With the 100m ethernet issue, does this mean, I would run ethernet 100m - switch - ethernet 100m- switch and so on? Presumably each switch adds lag? Does the signal deteriorate? Can this be extended indefinitely?

Denny Smith wrote: What, bit rate is your 4K signal

I'll be happy to use a lower bitrate if that's what it takes to make this work. I am planning on using the newly announced Insta360 Pro which live stitches. Specs on bandwidth etc are a bit vague at the moment.

Jeremy Rollinson wrote:'m assuming this is for a sponsor activation?

This is not sponsor activation - it is promotion/marketing for my own company. I am hoping to drum up traditional video business through the VR demo zone.

Jeremy Rollinson wrote:If it's a US, UK or Aus event I probably know the network delivery company who will be providing connectivity. Most now offer a service that includes physical connectivity on a private VLAN with endpoints at multiple locations.

Jeremy this is in Zimbabwe! It's for a big festival here and I already handle their live feed at their main venue. But that is just HD video going to screens at the front of the stage so it is not technically complex. Just SDI distribution. So this live VR would be a first for Zimbabwe, and maybe ahead of South Africa as well if we pull it off!
:)

Jeremy Rollinson

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi Simon,

Following up on your additional questions.....

For the Ethernet based solution I would use Gigabit capable devices.

Over the years we have found the best balance between cost, durability and functionality is to use Ubiquiti equipment.

Switches Ubiquiti ToughSwitch Pro : @ $175 ea

You are correct, you would run 100m lengths of Ethernet with a switch at the midpoint. Latency would be approx 1ms, I would not expect anything over 5ms even with two or three switches.

Their primary product line is outdoor wireless and nothing else comes close in terms of value for money. For a point to point link wireless link I would recommend;

2 x NanoBeam AC @ $99 ea

Prices from B&H in NYC, a quick search showed this company in SA, Scoop, I didn't see one with an online store in Zimbabwe.

If you can run cable without risk of it being damaged by foot traffic, vehicles etc then do so. Troubleshooting a problematic wireless link can be difficult if you're not familiar with the technology. Personally, I'd invest in the switches and wireless link then you have two options ready to go.

One of the best festival network guys I know is based in SA, I'd be happy to make an introduction if you'd like.

Good Luck!!

JR

Xtreemtec

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 5:42 pm

Have you looked at the Teradek Sphere? 4 cameras input, live stitching and streaming.. All in one wonder it seems..
http://teradek.com/collections/sphere-family
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

BarryFinbar

PostFri Jan 25, 2019 7:59 pm

Hi Simon,
Did you use the Insta360Pro for your event? How did it perform? Have you live streamed to the internet with it yet? Curious to know what it's like in use...

Return to Live Production