Blackmagic Web Presenter multiple camera input

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Matthias Kappeler

Blackmagic Web Presenter multiple camera input

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 3:19 pm

I have been researching solutions to use propper cameras for facebook live streaming and just found out about the new Blackmagic Web Presenter which looks really promising!

One question: does this device accept two camera sources or just one? The switcher addon wouldn't make much sense if not - i realize that. But I can't find any specific information in the tech specs. Also: one camera would be connected via hdmi and the other would have to be sdi - right?

Thanks in advance

Brett Casadonte

Re: Blackmagic Web Presenter multiple camera input

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 8:45 pm

The Web Presenter has both an HDMI and an SDI input on the back, providing you access to 2 separate video sources.

One of the main use cases is that one could have a PowerPoint presentation running on a laptop connected via HDMI and a second video source, such as a camera, connected via the SDI port and then be able to switch between the two.
Brett Casadonte
Founder and Techinical Director - GlobeStream Media
http://www.globestreammedia.com
Live Production: on-location and REMI using LiveU
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

Zach Love

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 10:01 pm

From my understanding, the Web Presenter won't care what you have connected to the HDMI & SDI inputs, but it does care that both are the same setting.

So you could have two cameras going into the Web Presenter through the HDMI & SDI inputs if both cameras are sending a 1080i (59.94). But if you have one camera sending 1080i (59.94) through SDI and the other is sending 1080p24 (23.98) it won't work.

I would love it if I'm wrong and the Web Presenter can take two different inputs. If this causes problems, a $300 fix would be to purchase a Decimator MD-HX which is able to scale HDMI / SDI outputs to match broadcast standards.

Brett Casadonte

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 5:43 am

The Web Presenter does have a scaler in it, which allows the device to take any input format and down convert it to 720p for the USB port. The scaler is not, however, applied to the PGM output port on the Web Presenter, which allows a full resolution program feed to be output from the device for recording or other routing. There isn't any scaling done on the loop out ports either, and they will simply pass through whatever format of video is being received on the respective inputs.

If, however, you plan on doing live switching, you will likely need to have both your HDMI and SDI video sources set to the same video standard (i.e. 1080p29.97, etc.) as Zach mentions. BM's video switches let you set your video broadcast standard, and then all of the input devices need to match it. None of the switches do standards conversion on the fly (hence their line of Teranex products!)

Its also important to note that if you plan on doing live switching with the Web Presenter, you'll need to purchase and install the Teranex Mini Smart Panel as the 1 (SDI) and 2 (HDMI) buttons are used to switch between the two inputs.

I'll be getting a Web Presenter unit this Friday, so I can put it through some paces and see exactly how it handles HDMI / SDI inputs of different video standards, though my guess is that at least when switching, one of the sources will not be seen even though the Web Presenter may very well pass-through each of the video signals to the HDMI and SDI loop out ports.
Brett Casadonte
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

Brian Russo

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 12:54 pm

Brett Casadonte wrote:I'll be getting a Web Presenter unit this Friday, so I can put it through some paces and see exactly how it handles HDMI / SDI inputs of different video standards, though my guess is that at least when switching, one of the sources will not be seen even though the Web Presenter may very well pass-through each of the video signals to the HDMI and SDI loop out ports.

Brett, where did you order yours from? I'm trying to rush order one and can't exactly find one definitely in stock in the US.
Brian Russo. NY

timgregory

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 1:21 pm

Is it just me or does anyone else think its a shame the Web Presenter doesn't network and bypass the need for a PC to stream?

I've just brought a DataVideo NVS25 for streaming directly to YouTube and it seems like a bit of a missed opportunity not to have this functionality on the Web Presenter.
Having a network port to change the settings by software would be a nice touch as well (given most BMD kit has this).

Tim

Brett Casadonte

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 2:27 pm

Brian Russo wrote:
Brett Casadonte wrote:I'll be getting a Web Presenter unit this Friday, so I can put it through some paces and see exactly how it handles HDMI / SDI inputs of different video standards, though my guess is that at least when switching, one of the sources will not be seen even though the Web Presenter may very well pass-through each of the video signals to the HDMI and SDI loop out ports.

Brett, where did you order yours from? I'm trying to rush order one and can't exactly find one definitely in stock in the US.

I purchased mine from Adorama.
Brett Casadonte

Brett Casadonte

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 2:41 pm

timgregory wrote:Is it just me or does anyone else think its a shame the Web Presenter doesn't network and bypass the need for a PC to stream?

I've just brought a DataVideo NVS25 for streaming directly to YouTube and it seems like a bit of a missed opportunity not to have this functionality on the Web Presenter.
Having a network port to change the settings by software would be a nice touch as well (given most BMD kit has this).

Tim

What I particularly like about the Web Presenter is its built-in switch functionality. It will slot in nicely for several jobs that I do where I need a 2 input switch for in-room A/V while I'm integrating more video inputs for the live stream.

On the actual encoding side, it would be nice if BM made a dedicated encoding device that could stream directly to a web service, bypassing a computer all together. I own a pair of Osprey Talon encoders which will stream directly to a service (and they have collaborated with Wowza to do some nice integration with their Streaming Cloud service), and they are solid devices, though their user interface and setup leaves a lot to be desired.

It wouldn't surprise me if in the future BM comes out with just such a device since this is really the direction that the market is headed, and in very short order. I suspect that one of the things that is causing a bit of a delay is the encoding format though... H.264 is here now, but H.265 is right around the corner. It is a more efficient codec and will realistically enable 4k streaming, but there isn't as wide spread support for it yet as H.264. Maybe BM expands their H.265 encoding product line with just such a device later this year, either at NAB in a couple of months or later this fall at IBC.
Brett Casadonte

timgregory

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 2:55 pm

Brett Casadonte wrote:What I particularly like about the Web Presenter is its built-in switch functionality. It will slot in nicely for several jobs that I do where I need a 2 input switch for in-room A/V while I'm integrating more video inputs for the live stream.

Yep I can see it being used for that and did consider it for that use myself.
Which if it was networkable using it in a building as a switch would make it really useful for integration with other kit and changing settings.

Tim

Brett Casadonte

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 4:16 pm

timgregory wrote:
Brett Casadonte wrote:What I particularly like about the Web Presenter is its built-in switch functionality. It will slot in nicely for several jobs that I do where I need a 2 input switch for in-room A/V while I'm integrating more video inputs for the live stream.

Yep I can see it being used for that and did consider it for that use myself.
Which if it was networkable using it in a building as a switch would make it really useful for integration with other kit and changing settings.

Tim

That would be a great addition... maybe this can be done with a software update in the future.

BM, if you're reading this, +1 for the network controls on the Web Presenter!
Brett Casadonte

Denny Smith

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 6:16 pm

Direct network connection could always be added by another Mini Teranex type box. As for this model, newtwork control would be nice for pro production applications. But given the price point and design, I think the market Grant has in mine for this first model, is more to small business, and individual users wanting to upgrade their uTube and social media type streaming, and not aimed at enterprise users.

I cover a simple monthly lecture series from a non-profit organization, and something like the new Web Presenter is perfect, as we currently have to eecordmthis with one camera and add any graphics in in post for later distribution. This unit, along with a recorder, would allow live recording of the camera and mix in the computer presentation, stream it live and have the recorded event that would inky need to be duplicated for distribution, eliminating most of the post production time/cost. I see this type of application as what this unit was designed for, and to be able to have a higher quality Web Cam option, like hooking upma Micro camera to it.

A new model designed for enterprise applications, with direct network connection and control could be coming out next, perhaps in a larger form factor closer to the new TVS HD switcher.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brett Casadonte

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 6:53 pm

Denny Smith wrote:A new model designed for enterprise applications, with direct network connection and control could be coming out next, perhaps in a larger form factor closer to the new TVS HD switcher.

Agreed. This model was designed for more small business / consumer types of use cases and I'm certain it will enjoy a great deal of success in those applications.

If BM has a more 'enterprise' offering up its sleeve, that has a direct network connection and remote management, count me in for one!
Brett Casadonte

Brett Casadonte

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 10:43 pm

Received my Web Presenter today, and just wanted to follow up on this thread based on some quick testing.

In regards to the switching functionality... For a quick test, I plugged in a GoPro (via HDMI) and a BM Micro Studio Camera (via SDI). The Studio camera is set to 1080p29.97 and the GoPro outputs 1080p59.94. The Web Presenter sees both of these in their native video format, and if one switches back and forth, the display on the front (I purchased the Teranex Mini Smart Panel for it, as it is required for the device to operate as a switch) will show whichever source is selected (and the video format will be displayed in the header). When I switch between the two video sources, the Web Presenter directly outputs whatever the native source video format for the selected input via the SDI Program Output... So no scaling happening here. It just passes through whatever is coming in via either input.

Now, in regards to the USB feed (testing with both Skype and FaceTime), the transition between the two divergent video formats displayed as a cut rather than a cross dissolve. The images scaled virtually instantly from their native video format down to 720p, but every once and a while it was a little glitchy, and definitely not as smooth as when the video formats are the same between the two sources. When the formats are the same (in my test case I set the Micro Studio to 59.94 to match the GoPro), there is a nice cross dissolve that happens between the two video sources and the transition is perfect.

One other quick note on switching...

Using a MacBook Pro laptop (Late 2016) outputting at 1080p30 and connected to the Web Presenter via HDMI and the Micro Studio Camera outputting at 1080p29.97 connected via SDI, I can also report that switching between these two video formats happens fluidly with the nice cross dissolve. Tested in Skype and FaceTime. Also sent the output to the new ATEM TV HD over the SDI Program Out and the cross dissolve between the two formats worked perfectly with the ATEM set to 1080p29.97 for its video format.
Last edited by Brett Casadonte on Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brett Casadonte

Denny Smith

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 6:25 am

Thanks Brett, that answers some questions.
Cheere
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brian Russo

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 8:45 am

Brett Casadonte wrote:Received my Web Presenter today, and just wanted to follow up on this thread based on some quick testing.

Brett, how does your audio quality sound? I got mine yesterday, and after a quick test the video looks great, but the audio going into the xlr on the presenter was muffled and low level.
Brian Russo. NY

Jason Adcock

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 4:30 pm

I too am not having a good audio experience. I'm wondering if I'm missing a firmware update. The only buttons on the face of mine that control anything are 1 and 2 (SDI and HDMI). Nor do I experience a smooth fade.

Does the menu work for anyone or any of the other buttons? Is the round "potentiometer" suppose to control your input level/volume? Again, mine acts like a blank interface that does nothing.
Last edited by Jason Adcock on Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brett Casadonte

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 4:58 pm

Brett, how does your audio quality sound? I got mine yesterday, and after a quick test the video looks great, but the audio going into the xlr on the presenter was muffled and low level.

I have not done any tests with audio yet, and I'm in the middle of three projects over the next 10 days or so and won't have my hands on my Web Presenter again until I'm back home.

Were you connecting a microphone directly to the Web Presenter, or going through a mixer? Also, did you have a second audio source connected as well (via the RCA connections)? Per the users manual, there is some auto-audio management going on in the box, since there currently isn't any way to manually control audio levels within the device. Per the manual:

All audio sources will be connected to an internal stereo audio mixer and all blended together. If you don’t want audio to be included from any specific audio source, then please ensure you disconnect the analog audio sources, or turn down audio from HDMI sources such as computers. Otherwise any audio on any of the inputs will be blended together and sent to the USB audio output.

Wonder if more ability to mix audio will be in a future version of the device's firmware?
Brett Casadonte

Brett Casadonte

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 11:38 pm

Jason Adcock wrote:I too am not having a good audio experience. I'm wondering if I'm missing a firmware update. The only buttons on the face of mine that control anything are 1 and 2 (SDI and HDMI). Nor do I experience a smooth fade.

Does the menu work for anyone or any of the other buttons? Is the round "potentiometer" suppose to control your input level/volume? Again, mine acts like a blank interface that does nothing.

Aside from the 1 and 2 buttons, the menu (and other buttons) currently do not have any function.

Also, there are currently no audio controls for the Web Presenter. As noted in the users guide, the Web Presenter does its own auto-mixing of audio coming into the device. If one does not want to have the audio auto-mixed, then one should use an external mixer and send in the audio mix as they would like it to be streamed.

If you are not experiencing a smooth fade, check to make sure that you're inputting two video signals of the same standard (e.g. both cameras are sending 1080p29.97 or 1080i59.94, etc.). If the standards are mis-matched, the Web Presenter won't smoothly cross-dissolve between the two.

Last thought on audio... and maybe someone from BM can confirm... I'm not sure whether the XLR input is line or mic level... if it is line and you're sending it a mic signal, the signal is going to be too low and needs to be preamplifier before reaching the Web Presenter.
Brett Casadonte

Denny Smith

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 1:05 am

According to BM, the audio XLR is:
XLR
1 X input supporting both microphone and line levels

So it should be switchable in the menu when you have the face plate in it, or by the dip switches (on the front, under the faceplate)
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brett Casadonte

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 2:37 am

Denny Smith wrote:According to BM, the audio XLR is:
XLR
1 X input supporting both microphone and line levels

So it should be switchable in the menu when you have the face plate in it, or by the dip switches (on the front, under the faceplate)
Cheers

Nice catch from the web specs. I looked in the users guide and didn't see that reference.

Also, I didn't see anywhere in the users guide (or the web site at quick glance) indicating the dip switch configuration for audio.

BM - Any guidance? Is the Line / Mic for the XLR input auto-sensing?
Brett Casadonte

Denny Smith

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 2:40 am

Thanks. Not likely it is an auto switch on audio input, but it could do so. Brett, did you check the Menu selection, to see if there is an Audio input choice for line/mic there?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brett Casadonte

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 3:08 am

Denny Smith wrote:Thanks. Not likely it is an auto switch on audio input, but it could do so. Brett, did you check the Menu selection, to see if there is an Audio input choice for line/mic there?
Cheers

The only buttons on the front panel of the Web Presenter that have a function are the 1 and 2 buttons for selecting SDI and HDMI video inputs. From what I recall the other day when I was playing around with the Web Presenter when I got it, the other buttons did not have any function. And there is nothing in the manual that describes any of the buttons other than 1 or 2 having any function.

I would test it again, but I'm out of town for a bit on a few projects and don't have my Web Presenter hardware handy.
Brett Casadonte

Denny Smith

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 3:19 am

I understand Brett. Have a good trip.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brian Russo

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 6:25 pm

are you using OBS? It may be a setting with OBS. I recorded the program out and the audio is great. Trying another streaming software but everything else is pretty bad
Brian Russo. NY

Denny Smith

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 6:52 pm

Brian, was your audio mic or line in? Have you found a way to select line or mic input dormthe XLR, or is it switching automatically? Thanks.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jason Adcock

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 7:28 pm

I was working with a mic level (G3 wireless pack. I've not moved further with testing line level. A tad disappointed. If it's just a dip switch then that's easy enough.

Brian Russo

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 8:17 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Brian, was your audio mic or line in? Have you found a way to select line or mic input dormthe XLR, or is it switching automatically? Thanks.
Cheers

I've tried to mic in from a dynamic, and the line in from my zaxcom output (which sounds fine in the zaxcom). My new test is just playing music off my phone through the stereo in and it still sounds TERRIBLE.

I've pretty much discerned it's a Blackmagic issue. It sounds bad on Xsplit, FFsplit, Livestream producer, etc. If you go watch the original live stream blackmagic did, the audio is garbage (
) but surprise surprise, they reuploaded a graded version with fixed audio.

My advice is NO ONE BUY THIS until blackmagic fixes the streaming audio.
Brian Russo. NY

Andreas Jaeger

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 11:02 am

Hello Brian,

did you report the streaming audio issue direct to Blackmagic?
Or is this issue only in this forum and Blackmagic read it or not?

Andreas
ATEM Constellation HD 2ME with Third Party Controller, 2x Hyperdeck Studio HD Plus, 1x Hyperdeck Studio HD Mini, RGBLink Mini, AV MATRIX HVS 0402U, 1x Canon XA55, 1x Canon XA25, Sony ZV-E10, 2x Domecam BOLIN with Controller

Jason Adcock

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 3:15 pm

I personally reported my issue directly. I was promised a return call or email. But I've seen nothing for 48 hours.

Denny Smith

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 6:45 pm

Given the sudden lack of available Web Presenter's BM is on top of this issue, sties that previously listed availabile stock, have suddenly switched to "New Item, Pre-Order" both Adorama and B&H. So anyone with a Web Presenter, should test the audio, and if it's not good, contact BM Support directly.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brian Russo

PostSat Feb 18, 2017 1:51 am

Jason Adcock wrote:I personally reported my issue directly. I was promised a return call or email. But I've seen nothing for 48 hours.

Will be calling in tomorrow, had my first live stream today and the audio went over like a bucket of wool...
Brian Russo. NY

Antonio Siani

PostSat Feb 18, 2017 8:58 am

Hello everyone, I would like to buy the new Web Presenter, if I connect two camera with audio and a RCA audio channel, can choose the master audio?
Blackmagic ATEM Mini Extreme ISO - iMac 27" i5, 32gb - MacBook PRO i5, - 2 Sony Ax53 - GoPro Hero7 Black - GoPro Hero8 Black

Andreas Jaeger

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 12:41 pm

Jason Adcock wrote:I personally reported my issue directly. I was promised a return call or email. But I've seen nothing for 48 hours.

Hello Jason,

du you have an Answer from BM?

Andreas
ATEM Constellation HD 2ME with Third Party Controller, 2x Hyperdeck Studio HD Plus, 1x Hyperdeck Studio HD Mini, RGBLink Mini, AV MATRIX HVS 0402U, 1x Canon XA55, 1x Canon XA25, Sony ZV-E10, 2x Domecam BOLIN with Controller

Brian Russo

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 12:51 pm

Antonio Siani wrote:Hello everyone, I would like to buy the new Web Presenter, if I connect two camera with audio and a RCA audio channel, can choose the master audio?

You have no handle on the audio if you're using the XLR, RCA or both. Also, it sounds terrible for me at this point. I have to pipe all my audio through my soundcard and bypass the Web Presenter in order to get good audio to OBS
Brian Russo. NY

Antonio Siani

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 9:14 am

My only problem is the camera switches from 1 to 2. I connected the two camera without audio and RCA audio cable from the phone, when a switch of 1 to 2 audio stops for about 1 second. Even without external audio only using the audio of the two camera there is always an interruption.

The solution:
with web presenter I manage the video only, and audio from mic audio in pc.
I use with obs to stream and anyway audio and video are not synchronized, you must set the sync offset in the mixer properties
Blackmagic ATEM Mini Extreme ISO - iMac 27" i5, 32gb - MacBook PRO i5, - 2 Sony Ax53 - GoPro Hero7 Black - GoPro Hero8 Black

Denny Smith

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 8:39 pm

In a different thread here, BM has commented there is currently not control over audio, input selection or levels, in the Web Presenter. Both the RCA and XLR inputs and any embedded audio in the video inputs are all "hot" (connected to the audio embedder) and BM recommends only using one or the other, not any combinations. Doing so, results in bad audio, distortion and other audio level issues. I would only use one audio source in the WP at this time. A future firmware update may sort this out, but who knows.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brian Russo

PostSat Feb 25, 2017 12:44 am

Denny Smith wrote:In a different thread here, BM has commented there is currently not control over audio, input selection or levels, in the Web Presenter. Both the RCA and XLR inputs and any embedded audio in the video inputs are all "hot" (connected to the audio embedder) and BM recommends only using one or the other, not any combinations. Doing so, results in bad audio, distortion and other audio level issues. I would only use one audio source in the WP at this time. A future firmware update may sort this out, but who knows.

have they commented on why it sounds muffled and terrible?
Brian Russo. NY

Denny Smith

PostSat Feb 25, 2017 4:29 am

No, they just said that all the audio inputs are on all the time, and recommended in'y using one at a time until the firmware update sorts this out. My guess is inputting more than one audio source will overdrive the audio, causing the distortion.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Stefan Flos

PostSun Feb 26, 2017 8:33 am

Hi Denny, and all other web presenter users...

I posted an overview of issues related to the web presenter in the other post (search web presenter).

Did some more tests yesterday and concluded that audio signals are not synchronized in the web presenter. That's why I here multiple claps coming from the various sources.

It is difficult, cumbersome and actually impossible to turn audio off on selected cameras. I usually make recordings and record the master on the cam, the web presenter is just and extra. Some cameras like a GoPro have no way to turn audio off, other cameras you can fool the audio by connecting a loose mini jack input in the mic input. But you will not have sound on the camera recording if you want to do that (and why not...).

Blackmagic should come with a fix soon. The easiest way would be to provide a menu option to disable or ignore a audio input embedded. The audio should be put through without any processing, set this on the device you are using.

A nicer option would be a little more sophisticated menu, with audio follow function on the input (with cross desolve on the audio as well) and or manual switching / selecting the audio input.

An other issue is the framerate of the USB output: I get 30 but I want 25 and I see 25pon the website of the web presenter in the image with the product...

So BM should step up fixing this issue - or it is just not functioning. ( i will fall back on using the intensity shuttle as an input agian and switch manually to a second webcam using skype settings...

Stefan
vmix user, bmd: intensity, shuttle, mini recorder, duo2, akitio enclosure, canon xa25, sony: Alpha7ii, RX10, RX100v, BMD - pocket camera - video assist, gopro, fcpx, hollyland wireless, logitech spotlight...

Jason Adcock

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 8:08 pm

Andreas Jaeger wrote:

Hello Jason,

du you have an Answer from BM?

Andreas

Nothing meaningful. I will be forced to return my unit I believe. This was the response I received from them roughly a week after the fact.

Hello Jason,

I was wondering if you'd had any further luck with the
device as I have not been able to replicate the errors
you're experiencing. What streaming service is the audio
failing to pass through? What's your video source
specifically?

Best,
Josh Stroh

Blackmagic Design, Technical Support

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com

Denny Smith

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 8:30 pm

I an waiting until a new firmware update sorts the audio issues, or BM releases more specific info on how the audio is supposed to work. All BM has indicated so far, is all the audio inputs are all "hot", including embedded audio from a camera, and the RCA unbalanced and the XLR balanced inputs.

Other BM audio embedder devices, have dip switch settings to control/select audio inputs, the WB Presenter apparently does not :?:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brian Russo

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 10:53 am

Denny Smith wrote:I an waiting until a new firmware update sorts the audio issues, or BM releases more specific info on how the audio is supposed to work. All BM has indicated so far, is all the audio inputs are all "hot", including embedded audio from a camera, and the RCA unbalanced and the XLR balanced inputs.

Other BM audio embedder devices, have dip switch settings to control/select audio inputs, the WB Presenter apparently does not :?:
Cheers

I don't even know what most of the dip switches do. Nothing in the manual
Brian Russo. NY

Jason Adcock

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 7:28 pm

For reference.. I was streaming one feed from a aerial platform and one ground feed from a second A7RII. The only audio I cared about was the single XLR. Which didn't work. In fact no audio was being passed. Nothing on the meters etc.

Denny Smith

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 7:33 pm

Jason, what type of XLR audio feed were you using, mic or line? If line you need a +4dB balanced input feed to get a working audio feed. If a Mic, did it have its own battery? The Web Presenter does not have phantom power, so a mic requiring power, will not work. I would use a good mic preamp and send the WP a "line" audio feed, see if that works?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jason Adcock

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 7:47 pm

I tried Mic level coming from a wireless lav/G3 pack. At this point, I just walked away and haven't tried to dig deeper since it's a product failure. I will try your request and then if that doesn't work return it. Adding additional audio pieces to the chain just makes the setup less appealing for my personal needs. But.. I'll try putting my Sound Devices Mix Pre D in the the mix shortly to experiment further.

Denny Smith

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 2:47 am

Good, the MixPre is what I would try. Check both a line feed and a mic feed. Thanks for doing the test, as I am curious as to how bad the audio issues are with this.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

DuncanUnderwood

Web Presenter Issues?

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 5:12 pm

I just wanted to check in and ask about what is required to return the web presenter at all.

As I've had many issues with this unit to the point that it's unusable and really doesn't do what it has been promoted to do.

I've been experiencing audio latency which has been very annoying to work with. The audio levels seem rather low vs what is fed into it for some reason. And the switching doesn't really work that smoothly.

Maybe my unit is faulty or something??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denny Smith

Re: Web Presenter Issues?

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 5:43 pm

I would contact the vendor you purchased the unit from to get a RMA and refund. Otherwise, if you think the unit is "faulty" and want is fixed/replaced contact your local BM Support Office for a RMA.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Larry Masters

Re: Web Presenter Issues?

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 5:52 pm

duncanunderwood wrote:
Maybe my unit is faulty or something??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not think you are alone.

I am waiting a bit to see if they release firmware within the 30 day return policy Adorama offers. I have about 2 more weeks, not holding my breath though.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 6:03 pm

For those of you reporting audio issues; is this with the SDI program out, the USB or both? What streaming applications have these been tested with and how long after do you see the sync issues occur and where is the audio coming from that is out of sync (embedded with the video on HDMI, SDI or both) or external audio?
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial
Next

Return to Live Production