Blackmagic Web Presenter multiple camera input

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Francis BMD

Blackmagic Design

Re: Blackmagic Web Presenter multiple camera input

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 8:46 am

Hi guys,

We’ve caught the bug of the audio being distorted. The good news is we’ve got a fix for it. We’ve also made some improvements to the overall quality of the video. We’ll get these changes out to you as soon as we can. We’ve some exciting new products that we’ll be announcing shortly as a live webcast. We’ll of course be using Web Presenter to do this and you’ll be able to see and hear the fixes and improvements we’ve made. You can see the live stream in around 11 hours from now. Please check our website for the link.

Andreas Jaeger

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 10:23 am

Hello,

good to hear that BM have a fix for the audio bug!

So im very interested in the Live Stream today evening (here in Germany) to hear thats all ok with audio.

So if the bug fixed with a new firmware i've immediately buy such a Presenter.

Andreas
ATEM Constellation HD 2ME with Third Party Controller, 2x Hyperdeck Studio HD Plus, 1x Hyperdeck Studio HD Mini, RGBLink Mini, AV MATRIX HVS 0402U, 1x Canon XA55, 1x Canon XA25, Sony ZV-E10, 2x Domecam BOLIN with Controller

Jason Adcock

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 8:32 pm

Great timing.. I just shipped mine back today to the seller. Clearly this product hadn't been tested prior to release. Why does this keep happening with your products? It's very disappointing to be completely honest. We love the innovation and the support. But feeling like a beta tester isn't fun.

Brian Russo

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 11:52 pm

Francis BMD wrote:Hi guys,

We’ve caught the bug of the audio being distorted. The good news is we’ve got a fix for it. We’ve also made some improvements to the overall quality of the video. We’ll get these changes out to you as soon as we can. We’ve some exciting new products that we’ll be announcing shortly as a live webcast. We’ll of course be using Web Presenter to do this and you’ll be able to see and hear the fixes and improvements we’ve made. You can see the live stream in around 11 hours from now. Please check our website for the link.

That is fantastic news. The audio being muddy and distorted was terrible, and I've been noticing the usb stream out video looking a lot more washed out and green than the program out. Hope you get this firmware fix out soon, as live productions don't wait...
Brian Russo. NY

Stefan Flos

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 4:18 pm

So whats the planning? is there a conceptual release date for the update yet. I is really important and should be fixed with priority...
vmix user, bmd: intensity, shuttle, mini recorder, duo2, akitio enclosure, canon xa25, sony: Alpha7ii, RX10, RX100v, BMD - pocket camera - video assist, gopro, fcpx, hollyland wireless, logitech spotlight...

Stefan Flos

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 6:21 am

there is a firmware update out, v1.1 that fixes the audio quality issues. also audio is maintained in most transitions.

Main issue that remains is that all audio of all inputs is mashed together, with no control over it. It would be essential to be able to turn audio input of a video input on or off. most of the times I am not in a position to turn the audio off on the camera because i need it on a recording.

moreover: there is a little bit of latency, so delay between the two video inputs on the audio channels. so even when the audio would be exactly the same, an echo will be intoduced.

a simple and essential fix is therefor needed to be able what aidio input is used for the mix. this could either be on off or audio to follow the input. i plan to use the web presenter for livestream to facebook, or something and switching from a program mix to a presenter camera during breaks. i need the audio on the program during program and the audio of the presenter during the breaks. difficult when all audio is mixed.

same if i would like to use the xlr input only: i don t want other audio in that case and need to be able to turn it off on the input.

hope and trust this issue is fixed soon. please +1 if you agree and contact your local bmd representative where you purchased the web presenter to put this point forward.

i really like the idea and concept of the web presenter and have it with me all the time as an easy addition in various productions.

stefan
vmix user, bmd: intensity, shuttle, mini recorder, duo2, akitio enclosure, canon xa25, sony: Alpha7ii, RX10, RX100v, BMD - pocket camera - video assist, gopro, fcpx, hollyland wireless, logitech spotlight...

Denny Smith

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 4:17 pm

The only way for audio switching for now, is to run your audio thorough a small field mixer, and select the audio input you want. This is an extra step, and audio follows video switching is much better and allows quicker cuts. However, Multi-camera TV productions, always have the audio separate from the video, and audio is fed direcrly to the video switcher via a audio mixer, where the audio source that is live is controlled from. If you need audio in a camera for recording in the camera, add an audio feed from the mixer to the camera.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 3:01 pm

I just checked the Support page and the Firmware for the Webpresenter states 1.1 update as release date TODAY..

They seem to re-uploaded it probabbly to fix a little bug.. Because 1.1 was released on 28 -3-2017 :roll:

They did something similair with the Atem TVS HD were they uploaded firmware 7.0 and 7.01 a few days after each other.. While it still says Version 7.0 on the support page..

So don't get you hopes up to high.. But maybe maybe they fixed something..
(don't have a webpresenter so can't test it out haha )
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Stefan Flos

PostSun Apr 02, 2017 7:39 am

thanks for the tip. had a similar issue with the recent bmd capture card software update, not running well because of something small in the build.

downloaded the update and it was fixed, but you can not see that there is an update on the support page...

i will download and install it to check, and check the cersion number, but i think bmd should post an update on the support page with a new version number so you can see yourself...

thanks stefan

Denny Smith

PostSun Apr 02, 2017 4:39 pm

Stefan, what issue was fixed, control,over audio inputs (bing able to select one) or the latency issue when switching video inputs. Doe audio follow video for the HDMI/SDI selection? Thanks
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Stefan Flos

PostSun Apr 02, 2017 6:37 pm

Hi Denny,

audio quality was fixed and is fine now. transition of the audio seems to be ok now too in most cases.

but other issues still remain: can not select the audio channel to use is the main one.

I want to use small set ups, and the web presenter is an extra. so it should be versatile and provide a sollution on it's own. I don't want to have any gear extra using the web presenter, like audio mixers etc.

for this use there is no fix yet. being able to select what audio to use of what input separate of the situation ( recording, streaming, presenting ) that it will be attached to is essential. I now also use it as an easy extra 2 video imput selecter in my mixer, and dont need the audio.

stefan

Denny Smith

PostSun Apr 02, 2017 9:19 pm

Thanks Stefan, for the update. Good to know the audio is OK. Perhaps the next update will enable the front panel controls to select the audio inoutmto use as the main source.

What audio source are you feeding to the Web Presenter when you use it for streaming?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Kennard Balme

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 1:44 am

Evening.. I appreciate the information mates. My church is due to get a bunch of new video gear including the web presenter. My concern was the poor audio performance and controls. And it appears my corners are very valid. We are getting a beringer 32 producer and will probably be sending audio direct from the producer to the camera. Especially based on the current feed back from y'all. Thanks :)
Ken Balme - Technical Director
Harbor of Hope Assembly of God

Stefan Flos

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 7:13 am

helo Denny,

i plan to use the webpresenter in three ways:

1 when doing livestreaming and recording of events, i want to be able to switch from the broadcast mix to a seperate presenter camera inbetween breaks. so audio will come from the mix and from the seperate camera. audio should follow input. i want the web presenter to be completely independent of what i will output on the live mix.

2 as a seperate two camera mixer for very small set ups, livestreams or webinars. audio mix might vary.

3 as a simple two camera input in my mixer. audio will come from a master. so no need for the audio here.

there is a simple one input use also where i can connect an output from my mix to my clients computer for streaming on the web, facebook or skype and i do not have to set up an account on my laptop or machine. this way i just provide a simple webcam feed with no need to install anything... very quick input, maybe even on more machines if they want to switch.

that's basically it. so audio contol over the inputs is a bottom line use...
stefan

Denny Smith

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 4:52 pm

Yes Stefan, I had similar thoughts about how this could be used, and it is important to have audio at least selectable, and have the video embedded audio Follow video when the video source is switched. The direct audio input is not tied to any ine video source, so no audio Follow switching with it, but a menu choice or switch setting to either select audio source between the direct inputs (XLR, which needs to be mic/line selectable), and embedded audio from the video imputs, which would follow video when switched.

At first, it sounded like this was how the WP was going to be set up, per Gram's comments. But, alas it is not so, at least not currently. Hopefully BM will get this sorted. Meanwhile, I am waiting to buy until it is sorted.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Sat May 06, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Stefan Flos

PostSat May 06, 2017 3:35 pm

Just noticed a new update v1.2 has been uploaded. Installed it and it seems all issues have been addressed.

there is a menu option to set audio and follow video input options. Did a quick test and it seems to work very well.

this is now a complete product.

You need to have the teradeck panel for it to work though, but that is a part of this web presenter that makes it especially professional.

will be putting it to good use over the next few weeks.

stefan

Denny Smith

PostSat May 06, 2017 4:13 pm

Thanks, great news, thanks Stefan, now it is useable as it was designed to be! Time to plan on getting one. :mrgreen:
Stefan, one question, does the SDI program out have the audio out stream embedded in it? Thanks.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Stefan Flos

PostSun May 07, 2017 7:50 pm

hi Denny,

good question. will check it out. My guess is it will have the audio as mixed and a passthrough of the video. but I will check. it is not in the speck as far as I can remember.

stefan

Denny Smith

PostMon May 08, 2017 6:08 am

Thanks Stefan, it wasn't in the specs, that I could find either.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Stefan Flos

PostSun Jun 18, 2017 7:43 pm

just an update from some real live experience using the bmd web presenter.

now the audio is fixed its working as intended. i can switch the input on the fly p.e. switching computers with skype on it. this is handy because my clients want to controle the skype broadcast and i can give them a simple sollution the can understand, just a usb input like a webcam.

as far as i can tell the audio out on the sdi mix is the audio mix. only the video output is passed through from the inputs directly, as far as i can tell.

one more nice application i use the bmd presenter for is a simple two channel monitor switcher. this way i can monitor two cameras on my bmd video assist and use features such as focus peaking, shaders and exposure on set. When recording an interview with two cameras by myself I want to be able to quickly check the cameras and keep an eye on them. in addition I can go live if i want to and or record the mix.

All these bmd goodies fit nicely together, and of course: the web presenter just as the assist are also hdmi and sdi converters...

stefan

Kennard Balme

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 2:56 am

Tony Rivera we use an x32 mixer that feeds audio into the switcher. WP is connected via hdmi to the laptop where OBS has it added as a new device. Video is good streaming online audio is low and muffled in OBS sounds good in mixer and switcher. We do not use xlr or rca input on back of wp. So the video/ audio is coming through the hdmi from the WP to the steamin laptop ? . Will this set up work? Or do we need to do something like xlr from mixer to rca inputs on WP ? Do we need to disable audio on laptop? In the WP is it actually pulling the audio feed in some how from the laptop that gets audio input from the switcher. Is hdmi and WP hdmi to laptop so the two audio sources are conflicting ?

Kennard Balme

WP - bypass audio?

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 11:14 pm

Short and sweet .. can I still use the WP for the video feed sent through OBS, completely bypassing the WP for the audio feed ? We are getting the audio feed from the cameras to our x32 mix sent to the switcher.
Previous

Return to Live Production