ATEM 1 to Assist audio sync issue?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Tony Esposito

ATEM 1 to Assist audio sync issue?

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 4:19 am

Why does it seem when coming out of the ATEM 1 to the Assist (both HDMI and SDI) the audio is off a touch? I know it's worst previewing it then what's recorded but still seems to be 3-4 frames off if you look at it.

I come audio in through left and right audio inputs on ATEM (usually spilt the left for the right) and edit in Premiere Pro CS6. I also don't see a quick fix in PP if it's not fixable before recorded.

Thanks.

Denny Smith

Re: ATEM 1 to Assist audio sync issue?

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 6:52 am

You should be able to off set the audio track in PP to get it lined back up. This is where a clapper board shot is handymto have at the beginning of the take. Video in the ATEM is delayed by a few lines bwetwwen input and program out. The VA does not have a audio delay setting to compensate. If you use a video recordermlikemrhr Video Devices Pix E or even the o,dear 220/240, you can feed audio directly to the recorder and delay the audio to match the video delay in the ATEM.

That said, you can also add audio delay to the audio before mixing it into the ATEM, with a an outboard audio processor unit.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tony Esposito

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 11:33 am

Thanks. Yes, we clap them and if really bad I line them up then re-link them. Would this also make it look right in the recorder preview? Seems the recording live is worst then watching it back.

Does anyone have a board that works well with the ATEM? Did a quick search and they don't seem to bad priced wise.

RichardJolly

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 2:40 pm

I use two external delays - Datavideo for XLR or RCA/phono, and very cheap and tiny Lindy Lip Sync Corrector for phono only.

Tony Esposito

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 2:42 pm

Which model # on your datavideo. I like their products. Do you notice a delay in the record preview anymore?

RichardJolly

PostSun Feb 19, 2017 4:02 pm

Datavideo AD-100

Tony Esposito

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 9:06 pm

Thank you!

Return to Live Production