New ATEM HD

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author
dpeddicord

New ATEM HD

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 5:14 am

Looks interesting. Promo ads not quite clear on this issue: Can you mix input resolutions?

Example: Input 1 - 720p Input 2 - 1080i Input 3 - 1080p

Denny Smith

Re: New ATEM HD

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 6:47 am

I asked the same question and the answer is No, it is the same as the other ATEMs, input and output resolutions need to match. The ATEM does not do up/down or cross conversion per se.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

David Peddicord

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 4:22 pm

One day maybe they'll catch up to Roland.

Denny Smith

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 6:35 pm

No! I like BM's approach, start with the basics of what is needed in a piece of gear, like the ATEM TVS, which is a low cost basic video switcher. Not everyone need a up/down/gross converter these days. So why should I or anyone else pay for a function like up/down conversion when we do not need it :?:

If you need up/down scaling on a camera input, get a little "red" box that can change the camera or video output to match the ATEM'settings for the other cameras/inputs being used. :roll:
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

David Peddicord

PostSat Feb 18, 2017 4:20 am

You wouldn't want it for the same price?

Do you realize the problems that would solve?

Denny Smith

PostSat Feb 18, 2017 6:45 am

For the same price, sure; but not likely, as a Up/down Teranex converter cost is $1400! The more hardware based features like up/down conversion youmadd, the more it costs to make, and the more it will sell for.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

David Peddicord

PostSat Feb 18, 2017 7:28 pm

You do realize that this Roland device can input either 1080i or p together?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... m/alsVwDtl

It cost $995.00

The cost to implement this is minimal. But I'd be willing to pay, say $1200, for an ATEM that did that.

Tom_Bassford

PostSat Feb 18, 2017 7:48 pm

Why?

What sources do you have that would require multi format switching?

I much prefer low latency over multi format capability
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Denny Smith

PostSat Feb 18, 2017 8:09 pm

Me too, Tom.

David Peddicord wrote:You do realize that this Roland device can input either 1080i or p together?
It cost $995.00
The cost to implement this is minimal. But I'd be willing to pay, say $1200, for an ATEM that did that.

I didn't say it (multi-input formats could not be done, it can, a TriCaster switcher has independent input selections for camera inputs, but this costs $10K for their 410 model (which only has 4 camera inputs).
The Roland you referenced is a pro-summer switcher, with only consumer equipment connections (HDMI and RCA unbalanced audio), no SDI, nombalanced audio connections, poor build quality, etc. I have used a similar Roland switcher, it was not very good, and limited in what it could do. It may look nice, but signal (audio and video) is not very good. This is like comparing apples to oranges.

I would take a BM ATEM HD over this anytime. Examples like this show what a bargain the ATEM really is :!:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

David Peddicord

PostSat Feb 18, 2017 9:05 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Me too, Tom.

David Peddicord wrote:You do realize that this Roland device can input either 1080i or p together?
It cost $995.00

I didn't say it (multi-input formats) could not be done, it can, a TriCaster switcher has independent input selections for camera inputs, but this costs $10K for their 410 model (which only has 4 camera inputs).
The Roland you referenced is a pro-summer switcher, with only consumer equipment connections (HDMI and RCA unbalanced audio), no SDI, nombalanced audio connections, poor build quality, etc. I have used a similar Roland switcher, it was not very good, and limited in what it could do. It may look nice, but signal (audio and video) is not very good. This is like comparing apples to oranges.

I would take a BM ATEM HD over this anytime. Examples like this show what a bargain the ATEM really is :!:
Cheers

OK, I'll give up. Roland does make the same model with SDI. I have no experience with its use or build quality.

But I do have experience and have read many threads of the problems users have trying to mix multi-rez devices to the ATEM. Remember, this is a low-cost device for people who don't have huge budgets and have to mix different cameras/sources wanting it to all work.

It's only chips we're talking about. I find it hard to believe that a reasonable, well-built, low latency wiz bang box can't be built for a reasonable amount of money.

I also find it hard to believe they don't have a cure for the common cold. :o

Denny Smith

PostSun Feb 19, 2017 3:14 am

OK David, point taken.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Lance Lewis

PostSun Feb 19, 2017 11:35 am

And not to mention that the Roland with sdi is nearly $1500. Not as many inputs/outputs and MUST convert all interlace to progressive meaning hello jaggy lines. That seems like a worse solution. It cannot, as far as I could see convert even between 720 and 1080 on input. I believe it can convert between input and output though but again only in HD. And again $500 more. Would I love to see a bm that comes with scalers on every in? Sure, but wouldn't expect it at this price point.
-Lance Lewis
Champion Video
www.ChampionVideoOnline.com
Neenah, WI

Denny Smith

PostSun Feb 19, 2017 5:26 pm

Yes, I agree. Although, having a scaler on just one input would take care of quite a few situations for many users, and this should only add about $200-400 to the unit's cost (conservative estimate). :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tom_Bassford

PostSun Feb 19, 2017 5:34 pm

So just like buying a decimator then?

In the meantime you could just er buy a decimator. This gives you the same functionality and more.

I've built 2ME PPU racks which have a few decimators in them to allow for additional HDMI inputs and / or scaling and framerate conversion of sources. This works very well indeed and really doesn't need a BMD product to solve.
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Lance Lewis

PostSun Feb 19, 2017 7:14 pm

I have always had mixed feelings about it. On one hand when I used to run a tricaster when it went down the whole thing is down. With my bm gear i have a lot of peripherals, something goes down I just swap in a new one on that spot...including the mixers!
-Lance Lewis
Champion Video
www.ChampionVideoOnline.com
Neenah, WI

Denny Smith

PostMon Feb 20, 2017 3:27 am

Tom, you make a good point, an I agree with you on this. A BM change is not always needed. And having a component system, rather than totally integrated, makes sense.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brett Casadonte

PostMon Feb 20, 2017 7:45 pm

I'll second Tom on that. Having a Decimator (or 4, as I do) is just a basic piece of kit that every production should have. You never know when a client is going to throw an odd-ball video source (or destination) request your way at the last minute, and this allows you to integrate it. Besides, for the overwhelming majority of the productions that I do, I'm using cameras which allow me to set the video output standard to coincide with what my requirements are for the project (1080p, 1080i, 720p, etc.). Also, there are a number of lower cost (sub-$5,000) professional cameras, in particularly those from BM such as the Studio Camera, Micro Studio Camera, and URSA Mini 4k that have user selectable video output settings. So to say that you want this functionality but its only available in a $5k camera is inaccurate.

The ATEM TV HD has an incredible set of features at its price point. I own 1 M/E and 2 M/E switchers as well, and there are a number of jobs that I do on these switchers that could now be done with the ATEM TV HD given its feature set. If you need standards conversion (which I would never expect in this device without additional cost), then the Decimator (about about $300 per box) can add the functionality quite inexpensively on an as needed basis.

What I would like to see, however, is BM come out with a competitive product to the Decimator in those nice Teranex Mini style enclosures.... It would be great to rack mount a couple of those side-by-side... or maybe add some up/down/cross conversation to their higher-end switchers, but I don't think its realistic for an entry-level video switcher to support.
Brett Casadonte
Founder and Techinical Director - GlobeStream Media
http://www.globestreammedia.com
Live Production: on-location and REMI using LiveU
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

Jan Szewczyk

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 12:39 am

I'm as green as grass in Live Production, but I consider buying the New ATEM HD. I usually use new generation cameras which allow me to use different video output, but I'm curious how it looks with the laptop's output. I would like to capture the source from the various lecturer's laptops with OSX and windows. Is there any software which would allows to set output settings?

Denny Smith

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 5:44 pm

For interfacing a lap top to a ATEM, a Decimator MD works better than software solutions, and works with most laptops computers. :mrgreen:
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Trufin Valeriu

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 1:28 pm

Like Denny said, a Decimator is your best solution.

We have 2 PC's conected to our ATEM. It's fairly easy to set the desired output for a PC to a HDMI connection, but unless you are 5 feet away or closer, it won't help as the handshake o the BM is too unstable. I'm guessing you will have laptops much further away, so a Decimator would help setting the desired resolution/framerate and sending the longer run via SDI to the ATEM, or a long HDMI in the Decimator which will accept that much better, and a short one into the ATEM.

Return to Live Production