Hyper Deck Shuttle gone V-Lock

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

news4media

Hyper Deck Shuttle gone V-Lock

PostSun Mar 03, 2013 5:25 pm

Hi everyone.
My first post but it maybe interesting to some you.

I have recently moved to Black magic kit due to upgrading my satellite truck to HD.
My first piece of kit was the Intensity Pro but never got it working, It's still in my machine taking up a slot so next step for that is eBay with my other SD kit.

Second piece was the H264 encoder and have been very impressed, works very well specially with Livestream and to cap that, I had to get a Ultra Studio SDI so I could test the M-Link Newscaster.

My latest buy was this week I’ve just got in teranex 2D, Hyper deck studio, television studio, smart view dual, studio converter and a camera converter.

I sent out a email to 10 Black magic dealers I found on the BM website asking then to quote on the above kit. The first reply’s back were interesting. There was only a difference of around £200 / $300 so I then sent a reply back to the 3rd and 2nd highest and the 3rd and second lowest saying where they came in price. Then it got really interesting. My 3rd highest quote then came back with the best price. Total saved was just over £400 / $600. So it pays to get everyone bidding for your business.

First thing I tested was the smart view dual, my source for that was a BM shuttle (my 3rd purchase) WOW. The picture was incredible, I recoded from a Panasonic HPX-370 in AVCI 100 4.4.2.

My only impulse buy was the teranex 2D. I was watching the Broadcast show live from BVE and there was a guy on from camera diner.com. He had the teranex 2D and described how it worked and what devices could be used; basically he sold it to me. The guys from Holden and black magic were basically a waste of time. PLEASE TAKE NOTE BLACKMAGIC!

If your sales for the teranex 2D have increased in the last 7 days, that’s why!

Anyway. The reason I joined this forum was to show off my V-Lock shuttle. The mounting plate that I ordered with the shuttle was over engineered, over priced, heavy and a poor design, So that got sent back. My problem was where do I put the dam thing on my Sony broadcast camera?

Then I had the idea :idea: to make it v-lock mountable. So I attached an IDX camera side v-lock plate, removed all the insides from the shuttle, taped over the control pannel / ribbon, drilled and tapped the screw holes and fixed that plate. The battery wire for that goes inside the case and connects to the battery side v-lock plate. I decided not connect the wires to the circuit board; I did not want to take any more chances. When you remove the shuttle battery from the drive and re-install back together. To get it to power up, You need to plug in the power supply FIRST or it will NOT work. Figured that out after 30 minutes of worrying and thinking i cocked that up. I can now charge the shuttle via a d-tap from the battery or the v-lock plate and it just plugs in via the power socket. I also put a small toggle switch on to the d-tap socket and I can turn on/off the charger mode.

The whole job was a bit fiddly but I can be done, But dont ask me to do one again! :?
Attachments
Picture 097.jpg
Picture 097.jpg (112.4 KiB) Viewed 2809 times
Picture 096.jpg
Picture 096.jpg (97.03 KiB) Viewed 2809 times
Picture 091.jpg
Picture 091.jpg (739.98 KiB) Viewed 2809 times
V-Sat Satellite truck, Panasonic HPX370, Sony HVR270, SonyZ1, Mics & lighting.
Teranex 2D, Hyper deck studio, Hyper deck shuttle, Television studio, Smart view dual, Studio converter, Camera converter, H264 encoder, Intensity Pro, Ultra Studio SDI.

Mike Squires

Re: Hyper Deck Shuttle gone V-Lock

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 5:03 pm

I would love to find a lightweight mounting kit to attach the Hyperdeck to an Anton Bauer style plate.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 5:59 pm

I am right now in the design process of V-Lock mount that is non destructive to the Hyperdeck Shuttle.
The Hyperdeck will be slide in and then connected and locked to the V-Lock system.

It will be a "Fit between" mount were the connectors will be re-arranged to the outside to prevent damage to the Shuttle. And sticking out bulky cables to the side of your rig or camera.

A prototype is in the process of milling right now and will be soon back to me to assemble.

@Mike, I could do an anton bauer as it is just which plate i mount to the setup. As i believe Anton Bauer slides from the side. I have to check if it will obstruct the connector re-arangement.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Mike Squires

PostTue Mar 05, 2013 1:48 am

Yeah, Anton Bauer slides in from the side, with three studs. For such a mount, the icing on the cake would be a 1/4" hole on the other side, in order to then mount an EVF.

Though, that would be adding a lot of weight to the back of our camera (JVC GY-HM790).

Xtreemtec

PostTue Mar 05, 2013 7:49 am

Mike Squires wrote:Though, that would be adding a lot of weight to the back of our camera (JVC GY-HM790).

Yes it does a little bit. But my HM700 always tends to lean a bit forward. I have the Canon Lens Original viewfinder But i almost always have a mattebox on the front. (a old Chroziel.. Those things are well made (say heavy :lol: )

Not sure which side you want that 1/4" screw hole. PM me ;)

Just put this on the back of your camera ;) http://www.mobileviewpoint.com/media/wmt-bold
It's a 6 modem 3G 4G HD video transmitter. That is heavier than a shuttle. But still feels comfortable on my HM700. Even with a 120W Battery on the back.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

TheSwede

PostTue Mar 05, 2013 10:21 am

Nice build! I did the exact same thing for our Camera converters. Next step is to take it out of the original chassi and make it a bit smaller. Just a question, where did you get the "battery side" of the v-mount? I had to disassemble a Gold mount to v-mount adapter to get that part.

news4media

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 1:51 am

TheSwede wrote:Nice build! I did the exact same thing for our Camera converters. Next step is to take it out of the original chassi and make it a bit smaller. Just a question, where did you get the "battery side" of the v-mount? I had to disassemble a Gold mount to v-mount adapter to get that part.

I got mine from a old cam wave camera transmitter but you can get then new from any IDX dealer www.idx-europe.co.uk/?p=products&id=A-NH2E this is what you need.
Teranex 2D, Hyper deck studio, Hyper deck shuttle, Television studio, Smart view dual, Studio converter, Camera converter, H264 encoder, Intensity Pro, Ultra Studio SDI.

news4media

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 2:09 am

Xtreemtec wrote:I am right now in the design process of V-Lock mount that is non destructive to the Hyperdeck Shuttle.

This would be a far better way and as you say, You can use any battery plate.

WHY does it take end users to figure out a far better solution. This should be down to Blackmagic!

visualdave

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 5:40 am

Love the build! Here's another option by Bracket1 that includes a case for the Black Magic Shuttle with threaded holes for either IDX or Anton Bauer Battery Mount. The case attaches via your choice of a variety of hole patterns. The cradle opens when you release the green pull knob and the shuttle is protected in a padded enclosure. Goes quickly from camera to desk with no modification! Find it at http://www.bracket1.com

This second Bracket1 Shuttle Cradle build on a RED Scarlet is courtesy of Troy Word
Here are a couple of possible mounting scenarios including the Bracket 1 BaseA system
This one has a mounting plate for wireless microphone receivers and other gear

Mike Squires

PostSun Apr 21, 2013 6:54 pm

That cradle is exactly what we need, but I'm not so sure about the price.

Return to Live Production