Studio 4k vs Studio HD

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Brian Russo

Studio 4k vs Studio HD

PostMon Feb 20, 2017 1:03 pm

Trying to decide which (big) studio camera to get for a small web setup. I can't do 4k yet with my switcher, but eventually I might go there. With the new price points, there isn't a big gap anymore.

I really want to know if the 4k has global shutter. For some reason, there is no information on the blackmagic site regarding the 4k or hd shutter.

Anyone have a recommendation on image?
Brian Russo. NY

Denny Smith

Re: Studio 4k vs Studio HD

PostMon Feb 20, 2017 6:13 pm

Good question, I asked this about the Micro Studio Camera 4K, and BM's response was it has a rolling shutter, but it also has a very fast sensor readout time, so RS artifacts are reduced. Since the Studio 4K has the same sensor, I would assume it is the same setup, with a rolling shutter.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

David Hutchinson

PostMon Feb 20, 2017 10:31 pm

I'm just going through the same process myself and my Studio Camera HD2 arrives tomorrow. I have 4x Micro Studio 4K cameras - so why did I go for just the HD version of the studio camera?

Frankly I believe the Micro Studio cameras are just so insensitive to light at 4K they are almost unusable. At HD I really like their picture and form factor. But I've given up on the idea of ever using the Micro Studios at 4K. The advantages of the Studio HD2 is that it has 13 stops of Dynamic Range as opposed to 11 stops for the 4k sensor - That's a huge difference.

So when BMD bring out some 4K cameras which are more sensitive then I'll upgrade. But for now I want to go with the better picture of the HD.

Brian Russo

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 8:19 am

David Hutchinson wrote:Frankly I believe the Micro Studio cameras are just so insensitive to light at 4K they are almost unusable. At HD I really like their picture and form factor. But I've given up on the idea of ever using the Micro Studios at 4K. The advantages of the Studio HD2 is that it has 13 stops of Dynamic Range as opposed to 11 stops for the 4k sensor - That's a huge difference.

I hear ya. I'm sure 1080p is fine for now, but I wish the HD version has a bit cheaper since they made the 4k SO cheap
Brian Russo. NY

Denny Smith

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 5:15 pm

When BM drops the price on a camera, then a new camera is in the works, for release sooon.... :mrgreen:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brian Russo

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 12:53 pm

Denny Smith wrote:When BM drops the price on a camera, then a new camera is in the works, for release sooon.... :mrgreen:
Cheers

"soon" for cameras in BMD-ese means "announce in 2017, release in 2019"
Brian Russo. NY

Xtreemtec

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 2:17 pm

Brian don't be so negative.!! I really think BMD has learned from there past experiences..

You can see this with the release 2 weeks ago with the new Atem HD, Hyperdeck mini and Webpresenter..
At the moment they announced it, you could direct order it..

Within a week of the launch i had my TVS HD in the shop and up and running.!! 8-)

I really hope they will keep way of working.. As it is much better this way then it was 2 / 3 years ago..

NAB will be the supprise.. I guess they have some products lined up for NAB to release.. Which at this moment are mass produced to get shipped the moment it is released..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 5:04 pm

Same was true for the BM Studio series cameras, including the Micro Studio 4K, on the streets within a few weeks of announcing them. Only the Cinema cameras had this long time lag between announcing the, and releasing them. Bit the stigma is still there from this.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brian Russo

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 2:30 pm

anyone know if there are differences in the Studio HD mk2 vs Studio HD other than the battery?
Brian Russo. NY

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 5:01 pm

Hello Brian. There is no difference other than the battery.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Brian Russo

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 6:34 pm

Gary Adams wrote:Hello Brian. There is no difference other than the battery.

Regards, Gary

Thanks, and do you know the difference in weight since the battery is gone?
Brian Russo. NY

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 6:45 pm

Both cameras are 4.44lbs as mentioned on the tech spec pages.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Return to Live Production