Simultaneous device capture

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Daniel Knoche

Simultaneous device capture

PostSun Mar 03, 2013 11:40 pm

Am trying to work out some possible capture solutions.
Ideally would like to capture multiple vision inputs to the same mac machine.

Am aware that I would need to use multiple devices (ie 2 intensity extremes etc) but was wondering if anyone has tried this and what their issues, upper limits where. I also know that would need multiple instances of the capture program (media express or something else) and point each instance to each device. Looking at capturing at Pro Res LT but open to suggestions for lower quality in order to work.

Looking at a 15" MBPro with standard processor, hard drive and RAM (2.7Ghz Quad i7, 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM).

Ideally 2 thunderbolt devices (ultrastudio express and through a hyperdeck studio pro) and possibly a H.264 Recorder through USB

Possibly using the machine to control an ATEM so would need to conenct to that via either wifi or usb to ethernet (Which would be my preferred option)

Basically at what point will I kill the mac/capture

Am I better off also adding an external USB drive for one of the streams and to the SD card slot as well? (so 1 to the internal SSD, 1 to a USB drive and 1 to the SD card)?

Have previously used a MacPro (RAID 0 for capture) with multibridge and a SDI PCI card and successfully captured 2 different video streams.

Similarily has anyone tried a macmini with a thunderbolt attached and a H.264 recorder (similar project but slightly different). Not 100% sue of the specs of the macmini
Daniel

sharyn

Re: Simultaneous device capture

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 2:21 am

I contacted Richard F with MXlight about doing this with his software and multiple h.264 encoders. He said he just had not had very many requests for it. I also asked him if the VLC he was using could possibly play a file while it was being written and he confirmed that VLC cannot. (I was looking at a way to get a replay system) Of course all of Richards stuff is PC only

Sharyn

Daniel Knoche

PostTue Mar 05, 2013 11:04 pm

Thanks Sharyn,

Have done it succesfully with PCI cards on a MacPro but just not sure if a MacBook Pro can handle 2 (let alone 3)

Am going to try capture via Ultrastudio Express to the SD card slot on an iMac.

Will also try Intensity Extreme to SD card and Ultrastudio Express to internal HD (Simultaneously but on an imac and both Thunderbolt devices and then switch where destinations captures go to see if that makes a difference, as well as trying to do both devices to the internal HD) Of courses left my extreme at home which I realised on my way to work! So have to wait for the dual test till next week.

Don't think it will be an issue on the iMac and hopefully will be a good gauge to see if the MBPro may be able to handle it!

For a replay system, could give you a couple fo mac options but not sure of any windows ones(apart from a couple that need hardware and a lot of money!)
Daniel

Michael Moran

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 2:01 am

Here is my setup... I've done everything on multiple computers. I have an ATEM 1ME. Running the HDMI out to an intensity extreme thunderbolt to my macbook pro for program PreRes capture. The component out to another intensity extreme to a MacMini ProRes for replays. This goes back to an HDMI input for the replay in. I run the composite out to a Canopus ADV100 SD to another MacBook Pro for streaming. It's a crazy setup but I had most of it when I bought the ATEM and it works nice. We do 4 cameras plus the replay. I use Canon XH-A1's with the Analog to SDI converters. Plans are to get a Hyperdrive Shuttle to take over program to add all my live graphics like time clocks and Tale of the Tape (I produce MMA events). I have more gear but not on the BMD side of things. Hope everything goes well on your plans for gear.

The MacMini does a great job with a Thunderbolt HD with ProRes LT, not sure about h.264

The MacBook is 2.7ghz and I doubt could handle 2 imports at once.

Michael

sharyn

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 8:31 am

So for replay you are just recording a copy of the program out, and then just having it run with number of seconds delay?\
Sharyn

Michael Moran

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 11:24 pm

For replay right now I'm taking the program. Soon I will get a TVS to utilize the aux outs. But for now I use the program. Then we find the best highlight and push it back from the HDMI out. Works good until you leave the replay switch on and they flip back to log/capture... Then you get a melting screen loop. lol. I'm also planning on capturing the replays with FCP7 to get a little more reach of timing and control of speed. (Right now we just arrow key to slow it down) but it looks pretty good.

sharyn

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 11:42 pm

On some of my situations, I have been working in SD and I have a system where I split the S video input between the TVS some and 4 Panasonic dmr HD55 recorders. The feeds to the Tvs go thry Analog to HDMI conversion, and the split goes to the Panasonic that can record to hard drive and also chase play back. I have a fixed delay on the chase play back run them at this time thru a Panasonic MX50 and convert the output to HDMI . this way in essence I have 4 iso's that can record and playback that I can select from.

It is abit of a kluge but it works. As I move more to HD the issue becomes that a simple HD recorder with chase/time delay playback is not available.

It would be great if the Shuttle could record and simultaneously play back with the playback started a short time later lke my SD Panasonic's DMR HD55 do. With the DMRs I can slow down playback etc.
I have a quad view display on all the DMR feeds So it does work, again not very elegant but the concept/function is there.

what would be great would be again have some version of the shuttle record the iso's, be able to record and play back, and feed this into another TVS for the replay control, and then feed this back into one of the inputs on the primary TVS.

I was also looking at something like VidBlaster to simply run the replay feeds.

I don't want much LOL :-)
Sharyn

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Mar 07, 2013 12:01 am

e2aproductions wrote:Soon I will get a TVS to utilize the aux outs

Just checking. The TVS doesn't have any AUX outs. That is only available on the 1ME or 2ME.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Michael Moran

PostThu Mar 07, 2013 10:09 pm

Liam Kennedy wrote:
e2aproductions wrote:Soon I will get a TVS to utilize the aux outs

Just checking. The TVS doesn't have any AUX outs. That is only available on the 1ME or 2ME.

What I meant was, taking the Aux of the ME1 and being able to switch between the 3 feeds on the TVS for replay. That's all I would use it for. Instead of just using the program.

Return to Live Production