YUV from Quadro FX1800

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Simon de Swardt

YUV from Quadro FX1800

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 9:21 am

Is it possible to setup an Nvidia Quadro FX1800 to play nice with the ATEM 1 switcher?

I understand that there might be a color space problem and I see no settings within the Nvidia control panel to set the output to YUV?

Once I plug in the ATEM will the Nvidia understand it has to send a YUV signal?

sharyn

Re: YUV from Quadro FX1800

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 11:23 am

I do not have a FX1800 but I have used several 9800m gt/gtx with no problem
Sharyn

Tom_Bassford

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 12:42 pm

Why not try it and see?

I have had no issue with Nvidia cards of any type. ATI cards work at HD but are much harder to get working atr SD resolutions than NVidia.

cheers
tom
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Simon de Swardt

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 12:47 pm

Thanks Sharyn - how do you output from your card - over HDMI straight into the switcher?

Thanks Tom, I am busy trying to put together an order of all the equipment I need. I live in Zimbabwe, so I need to be careful to get all the right bits and pieces to make everything talk to each other. I would ideally like to avoid having to come back in two months time and re-order the right bits!

Is anyone else successfully using Nvidia cards, quadro or otherwise?

sharyn

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 6:18 pm

I have been able to just use a DVI to HDMI cable from my card, OR if your card has HDMI that will work. The only problem I have had is with some of the integrated video controllers like the Intel 4500m I use a, Atlona hd560 for that to get the scan rate that I need

Sharyn

Tom_Bassford

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 6:35 pm

I've had no problem with the Intel HDxxx series GPUs - maybe this is a 50hz thing (we only have 50hz in PAL land so the 59.94 / 60hz issues have never been a problem)

I'm yet to find a computer with digital output which cannot connect to the ATEM when running 720p / 1080i at 50hz.

Having said that i would not get a quadro, they are very expensive for less power than the standard geforce cards. Unless you need the extra precision and certified drivers (eg if your doing serious CAD work) then the quadro is just a waste of money.

I hope this is helpful

cheers
tom

sharyn

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 7:17 pm

The Problem I seem to run into with the Intel 4500m is that the edid hand shake does not always work, so it does not properly detect that it is a BMD device. If I play around with it restarting etc, a lot of the time I can get it to detect and work, but it is hit and miss (720p60)
Sharyn

Tom_Bassford

PostTue Mar 05, 2013 10:49 am

The EDID is indeed wrong in the ATEM
It should set preferred mode to the current operating mode so that things plug and play better.

However I have not ever failed to plug a computer into the ATEM. I think once I had to use powerstrip rather than the standard control panel.

All that said I would not try and turn up with an ATEM for people to plug random laptops into. Hire an image pro if you need to accommodate random laptops, you'll need it for VGA only machines which are still very common in low end business machines.

Cheers
Tom

Simon de Swardt

PostMon Mar 11, 2013 7:44 am

Thanks for this feedback - I already have the quadro so I am just trying to gauge the likelihood it will work on the Atem 1 M/E without having to purchase a Decklink card with SDI out.
I think I will get the Decklink anyway, as it will also allow me to plug in the output from the switcher and use casparCG to overlay graphics elements.

Return to Live Production