Getting Started Questions

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

jbambrick

Getting Started Questions

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Hi to all,
I've answered questions on other forums so hopefully Kharma will be good to me...
I work for a fire department.
We will be having webinar-type educational sessions, with a single presenter and an audience of about 50.
This will be broadcast over the internet using Adobe Connect.
Our equipment for capturing the presentation is:
2X Sony NEG vx10 cameras
Multiple Shure cordless mics and receivers
Studio lighting kits
Green screens
Computer- ADK Systems I7 6 core @ 3.2ghz, GeForce GTX 670 for graphics, 32gb RAM and a RAID 10 for storage.
Software- Adobe Production Premium and Web Design Premium, Adobe Captivate and Adobe Connect

So ideally we will have 2 cameras recording, 2-3 microphones, and an input from the presenter's PC running whatever they have up (ie PowerPoint).

We want to stream it AND capture it for later upload to our server.

I have no idea how to get the output from the cameras, mics and pc into the computer and then stream it.
Also, the cameras are HDMI output- they dont have Firewire.

So any advice on how you would set this up is hugely appreciated.
I'm a complete noob about this stuff, I am moderately experienced at video and sound editing.

Thanks, I know it's a long post, but I wanted to avoid having to add more info later.

Daniel Knoche

Re: Getting Started Questions

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 11:11 pm

Hi,

Have answered something similar in viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5084
but doesn't completely answer your question!

Don't know about Adobe Connect so can't answer that question (and some things I say may be wrong as a result) but based on your info and what input it needs:

You will be projecting the presentation into the room, or are you projecting camera shots of the presenter as well?
Assume the speaker's audio would be going into a PA?
For the stream/capture did you want Picture in Picture or just full screen?

Would have an audio mixer and feed the mics into that, then from there into the room PA as one output and into the video mixing system as well.
For the presneter, does the laptop have display port out, DVI, HDMI or VGA? Will the laptop be with the presenter? Do you need audio from the laptop. Depending on the output and distance, will influence the converters needed (DVI extender or just use an HDMI lead or VGA to DVI/HDMI etc)

So the set up would be something like:
Presenter laptop, Cameras, audio mixer to BM ATEM 1 M/E (to allow picture in picture and Aux out). From there a number of possibilities:
-Program out: Can go to the projector if you want to show both camera/presentation laptop (HDMI or SDI)
-Aux out 1 to the projector (SDI so will most likely need something like HDLinkPro at the projector end). Can have it set to that it is just the presenter laptop. Or you can mix it if needed (different to program out)
You can use program out/aux2 and a BM capture device (whether PCI like a Decklink card/Inensity Pro) or a USB based capture device.

Again depends a bit what Adobe Connect needs and you may flip it around and use USB out and media express as your capture to disk and the PCI as the input for Adobe connect
-USB out (aux 3) can go into the computer for streaming to Adobe connect?

Assume you want a multiview (see all inputs and the outputs simultaneously) in which case you will need to connect an HDMI or SDI screen to the ATEM. Also assume you will be switching by software on the PC, which should work fine with the specs of your machine (whilst doing the other tasks)

Hope this helps, with more detail will be able to help you narrow it down further/give you a more accurate response.
Daniel

Mike Squires

Re: Getting Started Questions

PostTue Mar 05, 2013 1:37 am

I would start with the ATEM TVS, as it'll handle the HDMI inputs, and your chroma key needs (green screen).

You'll need an audio mixing board, as well as a DA. Behringer makes a popular DA, as it also can handle audio delay.

The last thing to add is the software MXLight. This will handle the recording and streaming to Adobe Connect. I haven't used Adobe Connect before, but I'm sure the author of MxLight will help you out, he's very good about things like this.

Return to Live Production