Canon 7D mk2 and T4i w/ATEM

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Sebastian Latorre

Canon 7D mk2 and T4i w/ATEM

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 12:28 am

I'm planning to use the ATEM Television Studio Production Switcher (the most basic) and plug a Canon 7D mk2 and a Canon T4i that both have clean outputs. Would this be compatible with the ATEM? I've been making some research but I can find anything.

Please help! :)
-------
Sebastian Latorre
Director of Photography and Developer

Resolve 18.6.1 Build 8
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max
OS Sonoma 14.1

Xtreemtec

Re: Canon 7D mk2 and T4i w/ATEM

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 8:06 pm

If they will output 720P50 or P60 Or 1080I50 or i60 it would work..

But DSLR to a live mixer is not recommended at all!! DSLR's are not that good for video.. They tend to overheat the sensor. They close the shutter at 29 minute limit. And if you want to record and live output to the HDMI, the HDMI get a smaller windowed output.. (From what i know with the 5D MK3)

And last HDMI has a serious cable limit.. Expect to go 5 meters maximum with hdmi cables..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Sebastian Latorre

PostFri Mar 10, 2017 6:05 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:And last HDMI has a serious cable limit.. Expect to go 5 meters maximum with hdmi cables..

Thank you! I will check the frame rate, in respect to the HDMI I will use HDMI to SDI conversion boxes from BMD, so with that, distance wont be an issue.
-------
Sebastian Latorre
Director of Photography and Developer

Resolve 18.6.1 Build 8
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max
OS Sonoma 14.1

Daniel Binder

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 3:59 pm

Also keep in mind the substantial delay on the HDMI output of most DSLRs. The Canon 7D and 5D MKIII had around 6 frames, if I remember correctly (and the delay might differ a lot between models). So projecting that signal at an event on location would not be pretty. Also keep in mind potential issues with power (small batteries that are not easy to swap out with the camera mounted on a tripod) and the aforementioned overheating and shutoff after 30min or so.

The large sensor/low crop factor of these also means you'd need some pretty massive zoom lenses to get reasonable close ups from a distance.

It really is not practical - you might want to consider BMs micro studio cameras, if you are on a budget. But keep in mind there, that they aren't really usable without a Metabones Speedbooster EF-MFT.

cheers,
daniel

Return to Live Production