Blackmagic Should Have an Official CG Solution

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Wayne Hartmann

Blackmagic Should Have an Official CG Solution

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 9:38 am

It would be nice to see an official Blackmagic Design product for CG Overlay and Video Playout graphics. In true cross platform style like all your other software products (Linux, Mac, Windows). You have an answer to every other aspect of live production except this (except a photoshop plugin). Especially for houses of worship, options are somewhat limited if you want a true key / fill signal into an ATEM switcher. We have been using Pro Presenter for our overlays and it can be painful at times; and no Linux support.

I realize houses of worship is probably a small subset of your customers. But if you do come up with a CG product, please consider adding an easy way to add scriptures to a cue and lookup verses on the fly. Even if it's a paid add-on/plugin. A lot of translations have licensing fees associated with them anyway. Though quite a few are public domain.

Xtreemtec

Re: Blackmagic Should Have an Official CG Solution

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 8:13 pm

Here in the Netherlands amost all churches that have an Atem / video setup use Easyworship software.
They have build a very specific piece of software tailormade for Churches with even the bibblical texts and song texts all in their database.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

John Rezendes

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 5:57 pm

I totally agree with you Wayne. I make my graphics in Photoshop and they import well and look nice but are not consistent. Sometimes the clip in media player 1 and 2 show up together, so I have 2 overlays up together when I only have 1 media player selected. Also sometimes a perfect lower 3rd will suddenly have the yellow text changed to black!
Frustrating...

Kevin McGrath

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 10:07 pm

I would like a better graphics
In doing live sports it s hard to keep the time and score up to date
Please include something better in the next run
Atem tvs , studio converter 4 camera converters, hyperdeck,40x40 videohub. Master control, jvc gy hm700 &170 Jvc gy hm 150 Panasonic aw he50 aw he 2
Panasonic hpx 300. Panasonic hpx 2000 Sony pdw 350 Panasonic HPD24

Thomas Seewald

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 6:51 am

Give CasparCG with BM cards for sending separate key and fill a try. A cheep and stable system.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Ian Morrish

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 6:54 am

BMD have multiple hardware options for playout, one doesn't even require any software.
HyperDeck Studio Mini - can provide video overlay with key and fill (yes, you still have to create the video but they have the software for that already, Fusion)
Decklink cards (4K models have internal key to overlay graphics on live video for post Atem mixing, duo 2 and Quad 2 can provide key and fill signal to Atem, Use CasparCG open source software for real-time updatable templates using Flash or HTML technology, lots of other 3rd party software that supports this hardware).
UltraStudio HD Mini (Thunderbolt 3 device that produces key/file signal for ATEM keying, still needs software like CasparCG).

For video playout there is an excellent, and free, CasparCG client http://cim.works/producten/playout-xpress/#download
I have also use FFPlay.exe to play out video using a DeckLink card for videos.

If I was a better developer I would add DeckLink support to OpenLP...
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Kingsley Foreman

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 10:40 pm

CasperCG rocks for this kind of stuff.

We wrote a bit of HTML5 that has a nice web interface for scoring/teams/etc that is dynamically updated on CasperCG using the HTML producer.

Works very very well

Return to Live Production