Stinger Transition Creation

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ZachLegleiter

Stinger Transition Creation

PostFri Mar 10, 2017 11:06 pm

Hey everyone,

I have a BMD 2 M/E Switcher. I am needing to create a stinger transition for use for going in/out of replays for sports broadcasts we will be doing with the switcher.

I have a transition that has been made in Apple Motion (I don't have, and do not have access to After Effects). Am I am under the understanding that I need to load the transition into the media player with an Image Sequence? If so, what file type does the image sequence need to be? I can do JPG, PNG, and TIFF image sequences in Motion.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Xtreemtec

Re: Stinger Transition Creation

PostSat Mar 11, 2017 12:17 am

I'm not at the office right now.. But if i remember correctly a PNG sequence with alpha.. (So it will key the background away.. )
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Mar 11, 2017 4:30 pm

Hello Zach. The clip player in the ATEM must have either a PNG or Targa file sequence with alpha channel. This is a single file for each frame sequence.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

ZachLegleiter

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 7:49 am

Thanks Gary.

Ill try the PNG. I am using Apple Motion 5 for my transition. I can do a PNG image sequence export in the software.

uli peters

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 11:54 am

But keep in mind that you can not use PNG for this because of in incorrect implementation (or bug) in ATEM software: PNG is always STRAIGHT alpha per file format definition. But ATEM software expect it to be premultiplied. You are not able to export (and import) PNG with premultiplied alpha channel from any standard imaging or animation software (without manual processing or customized settings).

So you can only use TGA with premuliplied alpha but you have to be shure that your software does it correct. BMD need to fix this internally to be able to use a PNG workflow with ATEM software... :cry:

Ian Morrish

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 11:53 pm

The TGA files need to be uncompressed (most software packages export as compressed by default).
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Return to Live Production