CCU data out from Camera converter

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Sam Cole

CCU data out from Camera converter

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 10:05 pm

Does the SDI out of the Camera Converter contain the embedded CCU data?

I have the Micro studio camera output going into the Camera Converter and then into fibre and out at the other end into a Studio Converter and then SDI into the ATEM.
Then I have the output of the ATEM going back into the Studio Converter, up the return fibre and into the Camera Converter. Then the SDI out of the Camera Converter is going to the Micro Studio Camera's SDI in.

cam SDI out >> coax >> Camera Conv >> fibre >> Studio Conv >> coax >> ATEM
ATEM >> coax >> Studio Conv >> fibre >> Camera Conv >> coax >> cam SDI in

That's the typical usage but I can't seem to be able to control the Micro Studio Camera.

Am I missing something?

Denny Smith

Re: CCU data out from Camera converter

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 1:08 am

That should work.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ian Morrish

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 6:50 am

You generally assign an AUX as the return feed going to cameras which carries the camera control signal. You have to select the output used for camera control in the General Settings (gear icon bottom left of the software control panel) under Camera Control option.
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Xtreemtec

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 7:57 am

Ian i have to correct you on that..

The atem outputs Control CCU and Tally data on ALL PGM and AUX outputs.

This data is not embedded on Multiview and scaled down outputs.

The function in the software you can select which aux to assign for control..
Here where it gets cool>> This output will automatically switch to the camera you select in the CCU panel.
So if you touch the lever of Cam5 this output will switch to Cam5. (this is for the shader to have the camera he is touching to get on his control monitor.

In big OBV's this is done with the CCU panels all have a button under the lever. If you push the lever it makes a contact which then have to send a control signal to the router to switch a camera on the Shader his monitor. So this is all done inside of the atem ;)

About CCU data trough the Atem Camera converter, Make Sure you have pressed the PGM button on the camera converter. It only works if the SDI output on the Camera Converter has PGM image on the SDI outputs.. When you boot the converter it normally starts up with the camera image on the SDI output.

Second make sure your camera is set to the right ID. If it is Cam 5 / input 5 on your mixer. Make sure it has ID 5 in the camera. You can look this up in the menu.

But the quick way to test that is connecting the camera with a short lead to the atem and cycle trough your PGM bus.. It should light a red tally when it gets tally data. If it is red when you select that channel your good.. But if you have connected it to Cam 5 and when you push PGM 1 and it lights red you have to change the ID of the camera. :D
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Ian Morrish

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 5:21 pm

Thanks for the correction
From the manual
When controlling cameras, the ATEM switcher control works by broadcasting camera control packets via all the non down converted SDI outputs of your ATEM switcher. So this means you can connect an SDI output of your ATEM switcher to the camera’s video inputs and the camera will detect the control packets in the SDI link and allow you to control features in the camera itself. You can control cameras via both regular SDI or optical fiber SDI connections when an optional SFP module is installed in a Blackmagic Studio Camera.

Doesn't confirm if the camera converter passes this signal at the far end, would have to dig into that products manual.

I'm still waiting for access to a camera so I can add PowerShell support for controlling them to my .Net library...
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 6:44 pm

Hello Ian. Everything in the SDI coming down the fiber to the Camera Converter will pass along to the SDI output of the Camera Converter to your camera if the PGM button is engaged on the CC. You will get CCU and tally to your camera. If the PGM button is not engaged, it's sort of feedback from camera out back to in.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Håvard Njåstad

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 9:04 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:The function in the software you can select which aux to assign for control..
Here where it gets cool>> This output will automatically switch to the camera you select in the CCU panel.
So if you touch the lever of Cam5 this output will switch to Cam5. (this is for the shader to have the camera he is touching to get on his control monitor.

Finally that function made sense to me! :D

Return to Live Production