Web Presenter - no sound through the box

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Bjørn Birkeland

Web Presenter - no sound through the box

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 1:19 am

I have tried different inpout sources for sound, and the only working option is through the 2xRCA on the back. Sound don't work for either XLR-input, nor camera.

Xtreemtec

Re: Web Presenter - no sound through the box

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 8:39 am

If you search on this forum for "web presenter" you Will Find a lot of Posts About this box and its issues..

They are still busy with Getting the firmware up and running for this box.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=57141
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Brian Russo

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 12:09 pm

Bjørn Birkeland wrote:I have tried different inpout sources for sound, and the only working option is through the 2xRCA on the back. Sound don't work for either XLR-input, nor camera.

Don't bother running audio through the WP, it sounds like garbage. For streaming, I just go into the mic input on my computer and it sounds great. BMD is dragging their feet on a firmware fix for the audio/video issues on the Web Presenter. We know it works because their most recent ursa mini pro livestream... not sure why they can't release the firmware for the rest of us
Brian Russo. NY

Scott Smith

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 5:08 pm

I have ordered two Web Presenters. It remains "Backordered".

Opinions??? Should I cancel, and get the AJA U-Tap instead? Looks similar in purpose, but without the featureset of audio connectors and switchable inputs. It is the same thing in principle, but with only the basics - HDSDI in, USB out.

Will I be better off avoiding the audio/firmware issue that may or may not ever be completely resolved - or if it is, may take a while? What do you think?
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Denny Smith

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 5:12 pm

Scott, if you are using only one camera or several cameras through a switch, with audio already embedded in the SDI stream, than the AJA box should work fine, just be sure it works with the live streaming service/software you will be using. AJA gear is useually (but not always) bug feee when released. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Scott Smith

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 5:32 pm

Thanks, Denny. I will contemplate that. I kind of liked the idea of having the audio connections, but may be just as happy using embedded. I have several embedders if I need to embed audio.

I bought the WP with the faceplate, and they have already arrived. Though I have been thinking about getting a couple Miniteranek SDI to HDMI units for using the LUTs on Studio monitors, and can use the front panels there.

Hmmm. Maybe I will change to the AJA unit. I'd rather have reliable and working to extra features and crappy.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Larry Masters

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 5:38 pm

Scott,

I sent mine back, going to use the Cube 655 when it arrives. I may look at another option in the future from BMD or AJA.

Scott Smith

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Looking at the specs of the AJA U-Tap, it relies on the software for any scaling and or frame rate changes. So, if your crappy teleconferencing software doesn't do a good job of communicating that, you may have problems. There is no manual method or AJA app of tweaking the conversion.

The BMD Web presenter automatically converts to 720p and, i believe, adjusts the frame rate as needed.

Since I plan to mainly use this unit for those occasions when I have to do Skype or other teleconferencing software, i am still not sure what my choice is. I don't really want to also have to send my 1080i video through another box to scale it, and I know Skype HATES 1080i. I think the idea behind the Web Presenter is almost the better idea for my use. But the U-Tap is the more stable product.

Still debating.
Scott R Smith

Scott Smith

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 6:00 pm

Larry, the Cube is great for streaming, but overkill and probably less compatible for teleconferencing stuff. Depending on how you plan to use it, you made a great call, or a lousy one. If you are looking for live streaming to the web, I think you have made a good choice. Since my need for this is Skype and similar, the Cube wouldn't be the right choice for me.
Scott R Smith

Denny Smith

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 5:02 am

Scott, for Skype or teleconferencing, the WP should work great. Until the audio issue is worked out, just connect a mic directly to your computer.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 7:16 am

Scott, they fixed the audio problem.. the last stream with the ursa pro was done with the New firmware in the WP.. But i guess they are really Busy to get the other features into the software too.. as they don't want to release a fw update for the audio. And 1 month later a fw update to get switching between 2 sources etc.

While my personal opnion would Be to release the audio fix asap to keep your customers happy instead of returning the units piece for piece... which in the end Will lead to a lot of unhappy customers that don't trust New products anymore..
I think they better had waited for NAB to release the WP.. to work the software Out to working device instead of sorry But all the promised functions don't work yet.. they Will Be added in firmware updates after you buy them....
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Tom_Bassford

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 10:08 pm

Maybe they will fix the device with a future firmware upgrade? Maybe not.

If you have a need for a currently working device then there are better products available.

Magewell do a range of capture devices that work well with Skype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Scott Smith

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 3:06 pm

Too late for me. I cancelled the order and have bought three of the AJA U-Tap. I grow weary of vaporware, backorders, bad firmware, and promises.

I tried a Magewell a while back without success.
Scott R Smith

Denny Smith

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 4:58 pm

You can contact BM support to get a Beta version of the new firmware that fixes the audio issue. :mrgreen:
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

King07

PostTue Sep 03, 2019 7:51 pm

hello,
i have bought a web presenter, i have used two laptop, on one laotop i have played a video, which is my HDMI input, and test the live stream on facebook, there is no problem in video but no audio is coming. plz help me.

Return to Live Production