MiniTeranex SDI to Optical and vice versa

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Scott Smith

MiniTeranex SDI to Optical and vice versa

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 3:26 pm

So the box described in the title doesn't exist. They don't have a Mini-Teranex "SDI to Optical" or an "Optical to SDI."

But they do have several boxes of various types that have both Optical and SDI on them. Every one of the Mini-Teranex with an Optical connection, and their accompanying technical diagram, show the optical connection as "Optical In/Out." Do they all actually have both an In and an Out? Is it an actual output, or just a loop from the optical input?

Can the "Audio to Optical" Mini-Teranex be used as a "SDI to Optical"? It looks like it can. Maybe.

And on the flip side of the signal, can the "Optical to Audio" be used as a "Optical to SDI"??? Its drawing looks like that is not a possibility. They don't seem to have a Mini-Teranex box that will go from Optical to SDI, unless i am overlooking something.

WTF, Blackmagic? Optical to-and-from SDI should be the first versions of this box you make. It is the most important conversion of all the possible choices, probably the easiest, but is the one you leave out. Seriously, WTF?
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Xtreemtec

Re: MiniTeranex SDI to Optical and vice versa

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 11:11 am

:lol: :lol: Finally someone speaks it out loud.. I saw this 2 years ago when the Teranex minis were anounced on the trade show.. And none of the Reps could tell me where the SDI version. / why the sdi version was missing..

Oh and Yes you can use the Audio to optical to send 12G down the fiber.. But on the receiving end the only 2 devices that can handle 12G fiber to SDI are the Teranex Express / AV and the Camera Talkback Converter 8 channels.. (Which is 12G ready..) ;)

Well this is in development so i guess this is an envolved version of the SDI to Optical.. ;)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=57162#p328785
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV, ATEM TVS HD, Production Studio 4K, 2M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Hyperdeck Studio, SONY FS7 4K, JVC HM700 Full HD Camera

Scott Smith

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 3:52 pm

That's what I thought. Silly. What were they thinking? And if they overlooked this when they released this line . . . what are they currently thinking?? It should be an easy item to add to the lineup. Of all of these MiniTeranex devices, this should be the easiest one to make.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Scott Smith

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 3:58 pm

I'd actually like to have some of these, because I really love the idea of having the front panel with the monitor, audio levels, & signal type shown on a screen. It is just a very nice confidence monitor to have right at the source. When troubleshooting, you look at your box, and see that the signal is getting to that point in the chain, and what the signal is. It's a very valuable resource for live production troubleshooting and confidence to have that front panel.

COME ON, Blackmagic . . . get it in gear!
Scott R Smith

Return to Live Production