Hyperdeck mini cooling, cards, stering

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

videokadr

Hyperdeck mini cooling, cards, stering

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 9:21 pm

I have 3 hyperdeck mini mounted on 19 inch plate. I noticed the cooling is not well. Air inputing in left side going to right side inside in hyperdeck and cooling it. When 3 hyperdeck is next to each other, the air mut be go on 3 hyperdecks. After a 10 minuts first is cool, secend is warm and last is heated up.
In my opinion it is no good cirkulation of air in inside hyperdeck. In my opinion output of hot air need on back panel and an air inlet on top.
What do you recommend SDXC card of 256 GB? The lexar 150Mb/s is only read, but write is only 80Mb/s. I thiking about Sandisk 256 GB U3 95/90 .
What do you think about HyperDeck Panel Full (http://hyperdeck.iamjeffamato.com/#four) to stering all hyperdecks at Windows?
8 cameras OBVAN HD/4K, low prices, working EU area, videokadr@wp.pl
Jacek Niewadzi

Xtreemtec

Re: Hyperdeck mini cooling, cards, stering

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 10:23 am

What rack are you using.. For propper cooling you need an inch or 4 cm free space on both sides to even let the air go in and out..

Also the rack must have ways to ventilate.. (backside open or something).. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

David Hutchinson

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 11:08 am

I think we all agree with you. BMD make a feature of it calling it Smart Thermal Design. but this sort of air flow is only ever going to cause problems rather than solving them.

I have a lexar 256Gb 1000x i.e. 150Mb read and 80mb Write and it drops frames on HD proxy recordings! I brought this up with BMD support and they said - the card is't supported only use the recommended card. Now I have loads of Lexar cards so it looks like I'm going to have to rebuy! I do have some x2000 Lexar cards these are only 64GB read 300Mb and write 150Mb. I've not tried these as they are really too small for my uses.

Apparently Sony have announced a 300Mb Read and 299Mb Write card which will be out shortly - prices yet to be announced. - It must have really killed the engineers not to get that last megabyte of write!

Denny Smith

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 4:40 pm

Buying great "high end" gear, then trying to skimp on the recording g media is poor/bad planning. Get the recommended media for the device you are using :!: it is not worth the lost time and lost production recordings to save a few $ € £ ¥ on media that has either not been tested yet and/or recommended.
:mrgreen:
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

David Hutchinson

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 5:46 pm

Hi Denny

I wasn't skimping... honestly....:-) These cards are like $200 each - it's just they were recommended for the video assist.... annoying they don't work with the hyperdeck mini too.

Quentin Smith

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 7:05 pm

David, the Video Assist had a similarly small set of working cards at launch. Hopefully a future firmware update will improve the Hyperdeck mini's card support as well.

It definitely seems like the Video Assist and the Hyperdeck mini should support the same cards at the same resolution and codec, since the bitrate is exactly the same.

Denny Smith

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 5:27 am

David Hutchinson wrote:Hi Denny

I wasn't skimping... honestly....:-) These cards are like $200 each - it's just they were recommended for the video assist.... annoying they don't work with the hyperdeck mini too.

OK, yes, I agree, some consistency would be nice. But, It looks like the video processor in the Hyperdeck Mini is not as good as in the VA, so faster cards are required. Sorry, did not literally mean money wise skimping, just not using the right recommended cards. I have read a lot of posts with the OP complaining about why this card or that lower cost card did not work, etc. :roll:
cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

videokadr

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 7:05 pm

I dont know what do I thinking about transmition on write on Hyperdeck at HQ ProRes. The streaming is over 190000kb/s, it is 185,55 Mb/s, it is 30,92 MB/s. Lexar 1000x is 80MB/s write. It has 2,5 times faster write speed then maximum transfer in HQ ProRes. I have been testing writing on SDHC 45MB/s write. It is Ok No jams, no pixelosis, no strobo and stil.
8 cameras OBVAN HD/4K, low prices, working EU area, videokadr@wp.pl
Jacek Niewadzi

Tom_Bassford

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 8:42 pm

I don't get why the hyperdeck mini uses SD cards for media. They are a stupid format for professional video recording.

I'm hoping they announce a new hyperdeck pro at NAB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Tony Marone

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 10:06 pm

Hi Tom,

Maybe because they are small, easy to get hold of, fairly reliable, allow a small form factor recorder and are used in many pro and prosumer camcorders.

Tony

Denny Smith

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 10:18 pm

SD cards are not used in full size Pro Cameras, only smaller cameras, where space is important, like the Micro and Pocket cameras. CFast would have been a better choice for the Hyperdeck Mini, but media cost would have been more expensive.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tom_Bassford

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 10:20 pm

SSDs are the answer. Like the big hyperdeck uses! Cheap fast enough and available in large capacities.

Tony Marone

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 11:02 pm

Hi,

I have been running 256gb Sandisk Extreme Pro in my 6 Hyperdeck minis without a single problem. For me this recorder and the sd card solution is a dream come true. I do lots of long form shows. I record all cameras as ISOs and record two copies of program, just in case. I also have a old Hyperdeck Studio recording still another copy of program.

Tony

Denny Smith

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 11:26 pm

Yes Tom SSDs are very good, but a little large for the Mini Hyperdeck, the Shuttle is the smallest SSD recorder you could make, which is only slightly larger than the SSD. A Mini based in this with the controls u DSR or over the SSD slot, instead of the side (as it is on the Shuttle) would work, thicker than the Shuttle, and would still fit three on a 19-inch rack shelf. Nice idea Tom. :roll:

Another option would have been to use the smaller the eSata SSD, like the Video Devices Pix E uses.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Kevin McGrath

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 3:08 am

I would rather have sd cards for recording rather than the cf cards
Reason. When your out in the middle of no where and your cards either are full or left at home, it is easy to find a sd card than cf cards or ssd
I have had this problem when I was out in the field
I had a 64 gb micro sd card in my phone
So I pulled it out and put it into my camera
It worked but I was still worried
But it saved my arse in a pinch
Atem tvs , studio converter 4 camera converters, hyperdeck,40x40 videohub. Master control, jvc gy hm700 &170 Jvc gy hm 150 Panasonic aw he50 aw he 2
Panasonic hpx 300. Panasonic hpx 2000 Sony pdw 350 Panasonic HPD24

Tom_Bassford

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 3:23 am

tmarone wrote:Hi,

I have been running 256gb Sandisk Extreme Pro in my 6 Hyperdeck minis without a single problem. For me this recorder and the sd card solution is a dream come true. I do lots of long form shows. I record all cameras as ISOs and record two copies of program, just in case. I also have a old Hyperdeck Studio recording still another copy of program.

Tony

256gb is just over an hour of Prores. These cards cost about the same as I paid for my 1TB SSDs.

I'd much prefer a half rack size with an SSD a bigger device could also have the missing LTC and Audio connectivity.

I'd also like to see multichannel audio support. I do a fair bit of playback with Hyperdecks and it's a shame there isn't a model with 8 or 16 channels of audio output. (Ideally both AES and Analog on 25pin DSub)

Denny Smith

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 5:11 am

A grand idea Tom! I would buy one. :mrgreen:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tony Marone

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 5:40 am

Hi Tom,

In my case, the 256g card gives me almost 5 hours. I use ProRes LT.

Tony

Tom_Bassford

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 9:30 am

LT is a bit crappy for post though. It's ok for archive but if you actually are going to do edits from the footage you want something better.

Daniel Binder

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 10:58 am

I would love to see a 12G-Hyperdeck to support recording of 4 streams of 1080p50 or two streams of 2160p25 to SSDs as an option. The Hyperdeck pro should be well able to do that. Convergent Design has proven that it can be done with their Apollo (even with a fanless design pulling barely 30W on 12V). Unfortunately the Apollo can't be built into a rack and can't be remotely controlled, which makes it annoying to use.

As a temporary solution, I am running 4 streams of HD through a Blackmagic Multiview4 (with all overlays turned off) and recording the resulting 2160p25 on a Hyperdeck 12G . Works fine but is limited to 6G (2160p25).

NAB maybe?

Cheers, Daniel

Tom_Bassford

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 11:01 am

Yes this is something I've hope for since the release of the hyperdeck.

Scott Smith

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 1:58 pm

Did anyone figure out what "stering" means?
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Denny Smith

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 5:10 pm

Yes, +1 :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

MambaFiber.com

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 6:03 pm

steering...controlling...
Greg Bellotte - owner