Hyperdeck Studio Mini Questions

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Robert Peterson

Hyperdeck Studio Mini Questions

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 2:30 am

Hello all. I am new here in the forums and I am hoping you can help us with a few answers. My church just purchased the new Hyperdeck Studio Mini for the purpose of playback of videos that we create thru the ATEM switcher. We have tried several times to convert files in .mp4 for mat to ProRes 4.2.2, which we thought the studio could play. Is this the correct format for files? In the ATEM control panel it shows that the files is loading but it hangs for a long time and never shows the video.

What conversion program are you guys using on a Windows machine that makes a file the Mini can use?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Robert Peterson,
Cornerstone UM Church
Bear, Delaware
Last edited by Robert Peterson on Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xtreemtec

Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle Mini Questions

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 8:23 am

Well the best way to do this without a lot of trail and error is to record a video clip on the right resolution and framerate you running your setup in church..

Then check if this file does play back on the hyperdeck ;)

Then you extract the file from the Card and open this in a video editing program like Adobe premiere, Sony Vegas or (forget how they call that program on apple)

Probabbly the software Will ask you if you want to match the project settings with the content.. otherwise Google how to set the project settings to match the video..

After this safe these settings to a profile like " hyperdeck prores 1080"
Put the video you want on the timeline to play Out on the hyperdeck.
Render file and put it on the Card.

Sure there is a better / faster way to do this with just converter software. But So far i did not Find a good solution without a lot of trail and error.

But i hope others here have a better way of doing this.

I usally don't use the hyperdecks for playback. Only to record. And if i have to playback video's from a hyperdeck.. most of the time i record them by the hyperdeck playing it from a computer source.. :lol:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

MambaFiber.com

Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle Mini Questions

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 1:14 pm

We have had no success in producing prores clips for this machine on the windows platform. I'm not sure apple has an official solution using the prores codecs to create files in windows. We finally gave up and use a Mac with davinci resolve (free) to create our prores content now. Works like a champ. You can also simply press record on the HDmini :-) would be nice if they supported the avid codecs as well, might make it easier for the windows crowd.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Robert Peterson

Re: Hyperdeck Studio Mini Questions

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 6:11 pm

Thanks for the answers thus far. I have been able to get a video to play using the ProRes422 codec. However the playback is a little choppy and there is no sound. I am using a recommended SD card, a SanDisk Extreme Pro, formatted in exFat. I am using Wondershare's Video Converter to convert a .wmv file to the ProRes codec.

Does anyone know why the sound is not working correctly? The file works fine when played on my computer thru iTunes or VLC. Is anybody doing successful playback with this unit?

Robert
Cornerstone Church Media Team.

William Japhet

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 8:02 pm

because you dont' have read the needed specifications ;-)

For the sound, you file MUST be 48khz files,in 24 BITS. Not in 16 bits like most software encoders do by default.
It's the same required spec for the others hyper decks, kipros and some others. It's a broadcast sound standard.

Regards,
William.
ATEM 4K 1M/E + ATEM 4K 2M/E + ATEM TVS
Broadcast Panel and GVG-Atem (by Baz)
Just Macros + XKEYS
Fibers + converters + MD-HX
X32 Rack
EIZO CG277
Sony PVM-A170/A250

Denny Smith

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 2:11 am

Good point William.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brett Casadonte

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 1:40 pm

Yes, there are folks that are successfully doing playback on this unit. I have 4 of the new Hyperdeck Studio Mini's and they play back ProRes files flawlessly.

Important things that need to be considered when creating content and using the Hyperdeck Studio Mini's (or any playback devices for that matter)...

1) Media - are you using supported / recommended media for the device?
Blackmagic has a list of currently supported media for the Hyperdeck Studio Mini here:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... -recorders
(PS - ignore their product photos because they promote media that isn't supported with their decks... come on BM marketing, you guys can do better!)

2) Media Formating - is the media you're using formatted with a supported file system? exFat for Windows based users and OS X Extended (Apple HFS Plus) for Mac users.

3) Content Format - are your clips in the proper file type and format? For Apple ProRes, the Hyperdeck Studio Mini supports ProRes, ProRes HQ, ProRes LT, and ProRes Proxy. Additionally, your content will need to be in the same resolution and frame rate that your ATEM switcher is set to (for example, 1080p29.97 if that is what your switcher is configured at), and your audio will need to be recorded 48khz, 24 bit. As ProRes is an Apple codec, you're best bet will be using a Mac to create these files using an editing tool such as Apple's Final Cut Pro X, Davinici Resolve, etc. While Apple provides a ProRes decoder as part of QuickTime for Windows, they do not make an encoder. However, there are third party solutions such as FootageStudio 4k and a solution from Miraizon, but your mileage may vary with these products.
Brett Casadonte
Founder and Techinical Director - GlobeStream Media
http://www.globestreammedia.com
Live Production: on-location and REMI using LiveU
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

Robert Peterson

PostSun Apr 02, 2017 10:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check the audio format and see what happens.

We are using the recommended SD cards as listed on the BM website, so I don't think that is an issue.
Robert

Return to Live Production