Using Ultrastudio for capturing another computer output

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Thomas Bergner

Using Ultrastudio for capturing another computer output

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 8:10 am

Hello everybody!

My use case is the following: I am doing video live production. I use my laptop as a small video mixer. To capture computer outputs I bought an Ultrastudio SDI (with a HDMI->SDI mini converter) - (e.g. to capture a presentation from a computer on stage). The Ultrastudio actually works in a way that I am able to capture the output of another computer, but the capture quality is not really overwhelming.

It's hard for me to tell why the results look the way as in the attached screenshots - seems that the capture resolution is not anything like 1080 whatsoever.

What I tried so far: Iterating thru all resolutions and refreshrates on the computer I want to capture. Always the same result.
I also borrowed a Ultrastudio Express to test direct HDMI input without the mini converter. Also the same pixeled results.
When I plug in a monitor on either of the Ultrastudios the image is crisp and fine. But not the captured image.

My Specs:

Laptop used for capturing:
Acer Travelmate 648P
Intel i7 6500U 2 x 2,5GHz
8GB RAM
NVIDIA Geforce GTX940M with 2GB of dedicated VRAM
USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt3 (USB-C)

Would be glad for any information on why I get this sloppy results and/or any hints on how to fix this.

Kind regards, Thomas Bergner
Attachments
capture-screenshot3.png
capture-screenshot3.png (874.56 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
capture-screenshot.png
capture-screenshot.png (319.99 KiB) Viewed 1434 times

Jack Fairley

Re: Using Ultrastudio for capturing another computer output

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 9:55 pm

What software are you viewing the capture with? Does it appear with normal quality in Media Express?
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Thomas Bergner

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 1:57 pm

I'm viewing it with isadora v2.2. But it looks the same in media express.

Chhers tom

Jack Fairley

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 1:17 am

If it looks this way in Media Express, something is not right. Can you go to the advanced monitor settings and check the refresh rate shown?
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Thomas Bergner

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 9:46 pm

I suppose you mean the refresh rate of the computer I am capturing. I tried all combinations of resolutions and refresh rates progressive and interlaced. Always with the same result.

These is a list of settings I tried:

1920x1080 starting from 25Hz to 60Hz progressive and also the available interlaced modes (25i, 30i, 29,..i, 23,..i)
1280x720 also with all frequency settings
1024x768 also with all frequency settings

The computer I am capturing runs Win7 SP2
I also tried it with my Linux Mint installation - same results

I only get two results: Either I cannot capture the chosen setting at all, because the UltraStudio does not support it, or i get the results as shown in the above screenshots.

I also tried all conversion options in the UltraStudio settings dialog (HD->SD, SD->HD ...)

RIght at the moment I have no clue what I am missing, or what knob to turn...

Thank's for any help

Cheers, Tom.

Tom_Bassford

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 10:37 pm

Try 720p rather than 1080i

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Thomas Bergner

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 2:32 pm

Little update to my problem:

I tried to capture a little sequence with Media Express to disk. And when I watch that short clip the quality is just fine. (See the attached screenshot, which is a frame of the video).

So my question is: Is it possible to get this quality in "preview" as well, without capturing to disk? The main purpose for which I bought this device is to get live video (also from other laptops or computers) into Isadora to process it there live.

Cheers, Tom
Attachments
capture-media-express.png
capture-media-express.png (108.42 KiB) Viewed 1326 times

Fred Rodrigues

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 3:02 pm

Thomas Bergner wrote: Thomas Bergner

Hey, I use both Isadora and the blackmagic hardware across mac and PC a lot. I would first check your video card settings and drivers (I see there is an update available for your video card on the screen shot). Also update to the latest version of media express and the blackmagic drivers.

Just to check are you using the native blackmagic drivers in Isadora or the windows drivers, they behaive differently.

Last I would reset all the video card settings to factory default, you may be doing some software scaling.

This behaviour is not normal and there is something wrong. If you can get everything up to date and reset and then test again and let me know how it goes. I have another somewhat different PC and can verify that this does work.
http://www.fredrodrigues.net/

Jamie Freeman

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 8:40 pm

Ok I assume your laptop has switchable graphics , Intel Igpu and geforce secondary gpu which is piped though the Igpu....

(first off you are going to want to clone the display.. (not sure what it is on windows 7 but windows to its win key P) ......

Once the display is cloned close out of that window.

Next you are going to want to use the intel control panel as it actually works better then the built in windows crap..

Under display settings Make sure it is on general. After that you will see a drop down menu with your primary monitor and then if you click that there is a option for BMI Display. That is the one you want to choose.

Choose to maintain display scaling.
Full range for color
It content can be on or off it doesnt matter.
For refresh rate change it to 30p and save..

This will allow you to clone your display at 60 hz or whatever on the primary screen and the cloned screen will be 1080p30

After that just go into whatever software you are going to use to record it set it to 1080p and your image will show up.

why on earth they did not include a 1080p60 in the ultrastudio escapes me as the chipset and the bandwidth are supported for it.

just so you know it will only do 1080p30 pfs which will make it 1080i60 but eh not worth it. (not sure why they do 30pfs when the device supports 30i and 30p natative, but only supports 60i with no 60pfs option.....

Just feels like they gimped the ultrastuio to sell more ultrastudio pro or 3d that do support it and no one really uses 3d (not to mention they discontinued the models that did 1080p60......

Return to Live Production