Ideas to reduce/eliminate electric shock(static)

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Thomas Beck

Ideas to reduce/eliminate electric shock(static)

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 4:36 pm

I have had a couple instances on remotes where have an issue with static discharge when I move from my atem control desk to my video camera(I often am a one man band). Not only does the electric shock hurt but on occassion it wipes out my video input and I have to recycle the power on the hdmi to sdi converter that I generally use. A rubber mat under the tripod perhaps? Any experiences or suggestions on how to reduce or eliminate this problem.

Scott Smith

Re: Ideas to reduce/eliminate electric shock(static)

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 5:38 pm

Usually, you don't want to remove the grounding (like with a rubber mat), but to improve the grounding, to give that static electricity somewhere to go and discharge.

Sometimes, especially when humidity and temperature are low, static can be a PITA to avoid, mainly if you are moving from one spot to another.

Is your camera very near the switcher? You might try and run a ground wire between them. Are they connected to the same power source/wall outlet? Are you certain your power is good, clean, properly grounded power? Or are you on battery? if so, you might switch to a power supply and see if that helps - or switch from power supply to a battery. Are your video coax and HDMI in good shape, with a good, grounded shield? Check them with a multimeter.

When all else fails, there is a spray - https://www.uline.com/BL_7402/Staticide-Spray - that can sometimes help. And if you feel adventurous, there are these gadgets . . https://www.uline.com/BL_7400/Heel-Grounders , that should keep you grounded with each step. Or try different shoes and clothing.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Return to Live Production