Hyperdeck Mini not counting down clip time after first clip

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

MattDavey

Hyperdeck Mini not counting down clip time after first clip

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 5:44 pm

Hi all

I have a new Hyperdeck Mini from which I'm playing out clips. These have been properly formatted and exported from FCPX as ProRes LT files and play out fine from the Hyperdeck. Also the various clips show up in the clip list on the ATEM Control Software as I've connected the Hyperdeck up via the ethernet network.

All good...... other than the fact that only the first clip in the play out list actually counts down the clip time. When I move on to the next clip, it plays fine and shows the overall length and the time remaining, but doesn't actually show a count down when the clip is played. Weird.

Am I missing something ? ... any ideas gratefully received !!

Brett Casadonte

Re: Hyperdeck Mini not counting down clip time after first c

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 10:23 pm

Expanding on Matt's original issue...

I've connected 2 Hyperdeck Studio Mini's to an ATEM 1 M/E and can confirm that when looking at the content being played on either of the two decks, the Time Elapsed remains at 0:00. In my case, it stays there for ALL videos, and I don't even see any time elapsed information for the first video played.

Note - all videos on the two cards that I'm using were recorded with the Studio Mini decks.

In addition, I can also confirm that when using the ATEM 1 M/E broadcast panel, the time elapsed and time remaining information is not available. Furthermore, when using either the Shuttle or Jog functionality, no timecode for where the playhead is at in the respective video appears.

To verify, I'm running Hyperdeck v 5.0 firmware on both decks.

Any information on this issue or recommended troubleshooting steps would be appreciated.
Brett Casadonte
Founder and Techinical Director - GlobeStream Media
http://www.globestreammedia.com
Live Production: on-location and REMI using LiveU
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

Brett Casadonte

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 1:18 pm

Matt -

This is likely an issue with your SD card. I have a bunch of Lexar x1000 cards (the second fastest SD cards Lexar makes and faster than the SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB cards) and while I've been able to use the just fine to record / play video, they do not display time elapsed / time remaining for any clips.

I have some of the SanDisk cards as well, and in using those, the time elapsed / time remaining worked fine.

That said, the Lexar x1000 cards are not officially supported by Blackmagic with the Hyperdeck Studio Mini (despite BM using them prominently in their marketing / promotional photography... very misleading, especially since they likely had to get Lexar's permission to use their brand / logo in those images). Subsequently, its no surprise that there is an issue with the cards. Hopefully it is something that can be addressed with a firmware update, but we'll have to wait and see.
Brett Casadonte
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

Brett Casadonte

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 1:22 pm

One last follow up...

Using recommended cards (SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 / 95MB), I was able to reproduce Matt's issue. I've also reported this to BM Technical Support and am awaiting a response.

While at first it looked to be an issue with a non-supported card (the Lexar x1000 Professional cards), it appears the issue with time elapsed / time remaining appears in some form across multiple cards. The difference here is that with the Lexar cards, none of the clips display time elapsed / time remaining while with the SanDisk cards, the first clips shows time elapsed / time remaining accurately, but none of the subsequent clips on the card do.
Brett Casadonte

Brett Casadonte

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 12:03 am

Looks like this issue was resolved in the new version 5.1 of the Hyperdeck firmware posted today.
Brett Casadonte

Return to Live Production