How to start streaming with ATEM Television Studio HD

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Jan Szewczyk

How to start streaming with ATEM Television Studio HD

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 7:28 pm

Hi Everyone,
I want to start working with live streaming. I’m wandering what to choose at the begining: ATEM Television Studio HD or Web Presenter. Web Presenter gives me two features: streaming and mixing from two sources, but unfortunately without the multi-view, while ATEM TV Studio HD is a good choice to work with more than two cameras. I’ve prepared a diagram of workflow (Purple color is an equipment which I have already). I have to build a set which would allow me to stream and record at the same time. I’ve noticed that ATEM has only one PROGRAM OUT, and I’m not sure if I can send the mixed source to Macbook. Unfortunately I can’t afford to buy more equipment. Recorder and streamer. Please check if it has any sense, maybe there is some easier solution.
Attachments
workflow.jpg
workflow.jpg (145.07 KiB) Viewed 9034 times

John Barker

Re: How to start streaming with ATEM Television Studio HD

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 8:12 am

Hey! Good question!

Speaking from personal experience, I would have very quickly outgrown the 2-input limitations of the web presenter, so you many have to think about that. Will you want to upgrade to more sources in a few months? Or will the Web Presenter be enough for a long period of time?

The first thing I noticed from the diagram you made is that you would probably be better off sending the AUX output of the TVS HD to your Macbook Pro (via the UltraStudio Mini Recorder). That way you can use the SDI signal and it saves you from running through one computer and into another computer. If one computer fails, you can at least still carry on using the other one.

Based on the fact that you already have a great deal of the equipment for your TVSHD setup, I think you should go down that line, but it would be unfair for me to tell you what to do :D .

Hopefully that helps in some way!
John Barker
heretorecord.com

Jan Szewczyk

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 1:45 pm

Thank you John!

You have right it's better to send mixed source from AUX output directly to Macbook, and from PGM to Hacintosh (or on the contrary). I have two more questions:)
1. I've noticed that the new TVSHD unfortunatelly don't do down/up conversion signal. I'm not worried about the cameras, but what with various lecturer's laptops with OSX and windows system? Is it some cheap solution to scale resolution and frame rate from laptops?
2. I understand that ATEM Software Control Panel, won't show me inputs' sources, and I need external monitor for multiview?
3. It is maybe out of topic, but anybody tried multicam streaming and recording through OBS or Wirecast using wireless camera like GO PRO? Is it has any sense?

John Barker

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 1:55 pm

More great question, I'll try my best to answer...

1 - You are correct that you may run into issues with certain laptops. One of the first (additional) things I bought with a Decimator MD-HX so that I could plug any laptop in and be safe that it would work. These are not a "cheap solution" but far from a super-expensive one.

2 - Correct. You'll need an external monitor to see the multi-view. The Software Control will not show you any preview of the sources.

3 - I've used GoPros with my ATEM and have been very happy with the results. Although with inexpensive cameras like the GoPro, some issues can occur. You might want to do a forum/google search for "ATEM GoPro" and you'll see that things can be tricky. Basically, you'll just want to test it out and make sure it works. I've found that it works when connected with a short HDMI cable, but not with a longer SDI cable. There are of course solutions to fix these problems, but solutions = money.

Cheers!
John Barker
heretorecord.com

TFE1851

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 4:10 am

John, perhaps you or another on here can help me with a similar question. I have an ATEM TVS HD (I think it's called) and it's set to 1080p 59.94. All inputs work (cameras, laptops via HDMI, etc). However, I can't seem to get OBS on my 2017 MacBook Pro to recognize the ATEM as an input. I'm trying to use a BMDUSMR as the interface – SDI out of the ATEM to the BMDUSMR, properly switched to SDI with the desktop software, and then into the Mac via Thunderbolt cable to proper USB-C adapter. Have tried all different settings in OBS to no avail. The BMD works fine when using it to input HDMI from a laptop into the Mac and into OBS. But not the ATEM via SDI. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, TFE

John Barker

PostFri Nov 16, 2018 8:37 am

Hey,

This is a common mistake (and something I keep forgetting too). The BMD Ultra Studio Mini Recorder only accepts signals up to 1080p30, so you will need to change settings in order to bring down your frame rate!

Hope it works for you :D

Cheers
John Barker
heretorecord.com

Xtreemtec

PostFri Nov 16, 2018 10:16 am

Or buy a Ultrastudio Mini HD. Which does accept up to 1080P60 ;)
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultrastudio/techspecs/W-DLUS-10
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production