ENG w/ BMD Studio Camera 2

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Matthew Berry

ENG w/ BMD Studio Camera 2

PostSun Apr 02, 2017 8:46 pm

Anyone have suggestions on converting MFT to B4, as well as powering ENG lenses while attached to the Blackmagic Studio Camera 2? I've got both MFT lenses (no servo zoom) and a Fuji ENG lens, and am weighing my best options!

Denny Smith

Re: ENG w/ BMD Studio Camera 2

PostSun Apr 02, 2017 9:12 pm

First, is the Fuji ENG lens a B4 mount, and does it have the 12-pin cable (needed to,power the lens)?
Also, the newer HD B4 lenses work better, but some older SD lenses are OK, on a lens-by-lens basis.

To use the B4 lens on a BM Studio camera, you are not going to have CCU control over the lens, unless you get a special data adapter, and while you can power the lens zoom servo with the Hirose 8-pin to DTap adapter cable, you will need the 8-pin pin remote cable and controller to have remote zoom control on the tripod handle. Otherwise, the camera personmis going to have to reach around the Studio camera to get to the lens zoom rocker switch (kind of akward to do with the Studio camera and its large monitor).

OK, finally, you will need an optically corrected B4 to MFT mount designed to work with the S16 size sensor in the Studio camera, to getmfull lens coverage of the sensor, and to correct the Cam caused by using a 3-CCD lens on a single sensor camera. Their are only two adapters that will do this job correctly, one from MTF Services in UK (available from B&H last time I looked), and the other from Abel Cine. Both adapters run about $1200 to $1600. Also you are going to need to support the lens weight, and a 15mm rail setup on the camera is also needed to provide the support to the B4 adapter and lens.
So you are looking at a $2500 minimum to use this lens. :mrgreen:
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 9:58 am

Denny Smith wrote:First, is the Fuji ENG lens a B4 mount, and does it have the 8-pin cable (needed to,power the lens)?

8 pin?? The 8 pin is for Zoom control Denny.. He has to look if the lens has a 12 pin Hirose where they normally feed power and iris control trough..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 4:28 pm

Thanks Daniel, Sr. Moment :oops: got it wrong way round, I should have double checked what my fingers did :mrgreen:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Live Production