ATEM production Studio 4K and Canon XA20

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Oliver Baumann

ATEM production Studio 4K and Canon XA20

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 1:07 am

Hello
I am owning a ATEM production studio 4k and 4 micro converter HDMI-SDI. If I connect my Canon XA20 via a short HDMI Cable to the ATEM, it recognises the 1080p50 signal. If I connect it via the converter, it will not recognise the signal. If I connect my Notebook via HDMI to the micro converter first, the signal (1080p50) works - when I then unplug the Notebook and connect the Canon XA20, it works as well. But on a live setting with 4 long cables, it is a pain to run around and connect the Notebook to all 4 micro convertes first, before I can connect the cameras... If I set the system to 720p50 or 1080i, the cameras connect without a problem. Is this problem only with the micro converters?
I would apreciate any help to solve this!
Kind Regards
Oliver Baumann

Denny Smith

Re: ATEM production Studio 4K and Canon XA20

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 2:12 am

It is a problem with howmthe Canon camera and the Micro Converter are interacting, trying to establish a handshake at 1080p50.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Oliver Baumann

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 8:09 am

Thanks Denny
Thats what i expected. Does anybody use the canon xa20/30 or a hf g30 for livestreaming? I would apreciate a hint, which converter works wirh 1080p50. Or maybe an older version of the micro converter software? Or a update in the next month? 8-)
Oliver

Xtreemtec

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 5:45 pm

Or EDID handshaking ( can remember a similiar topic about the same camera in the Get Started section last month..)
Or your Micro is outputing Level A or Level B sdi.. And your mixer will only take the one you selected in the software..

Why the converter works with a laptop propperly and then the XA20 follows i have no clue.. But it could be due too some handshaking or one the converter gets into some mode it will stay there...

Hard to debug if you don't have tools like a EDID analyser and a monitor device that is able to tell you 3G A or B level...
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Oliver Baumann

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 8:55 pm

It's probably a handshake thing... The camera is hdmi, so I can't change anything there. The micro converter can be set to either Level A or B, but that affects the conection to the ATEM, which is taking both without problems. It's definitively the Camera that can't connect to the micro converter. The strange thing is, that if the camera is conected via HDMI to the ATEM, it works.

I googled a bit that EDID problem and found the following part: "PureLink HDF0060-1 - Dr. HDMI EDID Manager". Would that help? It costs less than a new camera... and it seems to avoid these handshake problems.

Oliver

Xtreemtec

PostSat Apr 15, 2017 9:11 am

This could help you yes.. We had some Nintendo switch users in here trying to connect to a Decklink card and also had problems with EDID.. I advised them a HDMI splitter with EDID management and that completely solved there problems..

Just put the EDID box between the Camera en TV.. Learn the EDID and then connect to the mini converter.. It will send the same output as the edid is managed by the edid unit.. :)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production