Anyone else have their ATEM TVS HD brick?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Patrick Keough

Anyone else have their ATEM TVS HD brick?

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 6:56 pm

I just got mine today and after changing the ip using the front panel controls and performing the requested power cycle, it acts rather bricked. When powering it up, the fan cycles and idles, the light by the usb port lights and you can get a link light from the NIC but that is it.

Anyone else have something like this happen? It is rather disappointing...

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: Anyone else have their ATEM TVS HD brick?

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 8:15 pm

Contact our support office in your region and they should be able to walk you through the steps to get this addressed.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

David Walters

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 12:40 am

Same exact thing. Got it up and running for a couple of hours testing the inputs, etc. A bit quirky getting the IP address to take, but it eventually connected and was happy as a clam along with the 7.0.3 version software controller. Lo and behold, after powering down over night and powering up again, the unit could no longer be found via its ethernet connection. Front lights dead and buttons inoperative. Tested around a bit with support on the line trying to troubleshoot and did try to perform a hardware reset, but to no avail. I returned mine for a refund.

CMGoodin

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 5:00 am

I found a similar problem in the Software Control of the new TVS HD.

Version 7.03 firmware and Software Control. (Windows version)

If you have several stills previously loaded in the Media Library Non volatile memory, when you try to start the software control panel connected via WiFi to a dedicated router connected via Net Cable to the TVS HD, the software Control program will keep losing connection and restarting every couple of seconds in an endless loop until it either makes it through all the graphics or hangs the software.

Since the new TV Studio HD is the first to have Non Volatile memory for the on-board Media Library storage for up to 20 Stills there is a problem in the routines that copy the bitmaps from the Switcher's non-volatile memory back into the thumbnails for the Software Program (on Windows 10).

When the software control launches and establishes a Network connection, it starts trying to update it's thumbnails from the image data stored in the Switcher's memory. If there is a dropped packet or checksum error in this copy process it triggers a re-start of the program initialization rather than a re-send of the lost packet. If it makes it through the updating of all the thumbnails for any graphics stored in the Switcher without a single error, it will remain stable. But, the likelyhood of that happening when connected via WiFi are slim with anything more than 2 stills or so. This should be fixed. The software control panel should handle dropped packets or checksum errors by just requesting a re-send of that block of data and not clear all the successful thumbnails and force disconnect and re-connect and re-initialization of the software.

BlackMagic's response is always "Well direct Ethernet connection is more stable than WiFi. and we don't support using WiFi for connecting to the switcher."
Well that greatly reduces the utility of having a software control panel that can run on any laptop or portable Windows Tablet. The ability to move around and control the switcher while not tethered by a wire is an important feature. If WiFi is stable enough to transmit HD and UHD video to Roku and Chromecast, Rovio or any other media streamers without glitches, crashing or restarting it should be plenty stable for the very low bandwidth of the simple ASCII data used to control the BlackMagic ATEM switchers without delay or fatal errors.

Ralph Renouf

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 10:07 am

My ATEM Television Studio HD has just done exactly the same thing. Received it brand new last week. Booted up and it seemed to be running ok. Installed latest firmware 7.0.3 and shut it down for a few days. Yesterday I tried booting it up and it’s bricked. The green power light and USB lights on the rear panel come on and the internal fans run, but the front panel is completely dead.

I reported this to Blackmagic tech support and they gave me a factory reset routine to try. I followed their instructions and this did not fix it. Here are the specifics:

In it’s bricked state the unit can not be accessed by USB in order to update the firmware. The ATEM Setup app reports “No ATEM device found”.

Tech support instruct you to “hold down Set button while powering up” and this put into into a mode that allows the unit to be discovered by USB and re-updated using ATEM Switchers 7.0 Update (ATEM 7.0.3
firmware).

I repeated the procedure twice, but each time the ATEM’s front panel is dead and the unit is inoperative.

I am sending my unit back for repair.

At this stage Blackmagic should be aware that they have a dangerous patch. They should pull it down and prevent other unsuspecting ATEM Television Studio HD operators from damaging their equipment.

Nathan Allworth

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 2:31 pm

So 7.1 was just released yesterday. Has anyone tried this? Any issues?

RayJamm

PostThu May 17, 2018 5:30 pm

I have just go the ATEM Television Studio HD and the software advised of update, so after downloading and removing old software and replacing with new on my MAC I re connected to the switcher. It then said that the switcher needed updating and i clicked ok, a message then appeared and said it had failed so after a few attempts at installing and fails the switcher was locked in update mode. I left this for an hour or so and then switched it off, now only the fans come on with the set light flashing.

Now it's a brick with fans

can this be sorted or will it have to go back?

Xtreemtec

PostTue May 22, 2018 9:21 am

Contact support directly.. This is a user forum.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

alfy524

PostTue Feb 08, 2022 3:27 pm

RayJamm wrote:I have just go the ATEM Television Studio HD and the software advised of update, so after downloading and removing old software and replacing with new on my MAC I re connected to the switcher. It then said that the switcher needed updating and i clicked ok, a message then appeared and said it had failed so after a few attempts at installing and fails the switcher was locked in update mode. I left this for an hour or so and then switched it off, now only the fans come on with the set light flashing.

Now it's a brick with fans

can this be sorted or will it have to go back?

Man I feel its not fair how BMD did not just set it that you cannot update the unit via Ethernet. You plug in the ethernet cable and then you get a prompt to update, obviously by default you are gonna click okay, then it 'updates' only to go dead on power off. Yet no remedy at all besides replacing the unit or FW reflashing which we cant do. There should be an easy solution to this and not have to fork almost same amount to buying for repair.

Its NOT FAIR, Feels like a setup to fail.
ATEM Mini Pro | Mini Converters | ATEM Television Studio HD |

Return to Live Production