Chroma key - removing green in frizzy hair

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Brian Britton

Chroma key - removing green in frizzy hair

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 6:52 am

Hi all

We cant seem to be able to remove a green tinge showing through the talents frizzy hair - a background way chroma keyed using the ATEM 4K.

Any tips on how to remove this? Are there any plugins we could try? I cant find any guidance online

thanks v much
Brian

Denny Smith

Re: Chroma key - removing green in frizzy hair

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 4:25 pm

With frizzy hair, you need to make sure you have a good back kick light to eliminate green casts for occurring. Something to look for when pulling a key.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Scott Smith

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 7:00 pm

A little bit of help is to use Minus Green on the hair-light. Some of the fancy full color LED lights have this built in, but you can also buy gels called Minus Green (basically magenta), that help to counteract the effect of the green.

Next up. Or preferably first up, before you go to the Minus Green stage . . . . More distance between the subject and the green screen. Light them seperately. Light the screen as flat and even as you can, but try not to hit it with too much light. A nice smooth, flat and even but somewhat dim light will help keep the keying good, and the extra light bounce low.

If you live keyed this and want to fix it in post . . . I doubt there is anything you can easily do to make it better now. A good key is all about distance and lighting in your setup. Can you move outside??? The sun does a very good job of lighting your screen, and distance is easier to obtain.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Raphaël Jacquot

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 7:05 pm

whenever blackmagic come out with the result of their Ultimatte acquisition :lol:

Scott Smith

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 7:44 pm

I am hopeful that will also help, Raphaël.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Brian Britton

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 11:09 am

Some great suggestions, thanks guys

I will try the minus green via our backlights as we can control this (we can also control the level of green going to the green screen itself, if that helps?)

I had some success removing the green tint from the frizzy hair via the Lumetri color correction panel. First i moved everything away from green using the basic tab. Tried using the secondardary colour corrector to add additional hues but found this started to key out other parts of the frame. So i tried moving just the highlights color wheel to magenta and that seemed to work work pretty well. By this point the image was moving a bit too much towards magenta so i applied another Lumetri filter and nudged it back

Peter Collis

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 12:08 am

In the bad old SD analog days, Ultimatte hardware had adjustment knobs to compensate for green leakage into the foreground plate. You could wind in some minus-green to clean up the talent's hair. There were other adjustments for processing the edges of the key shape and masking out unwanted areas. All done in real time.

Denny Smith

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 10:09 pm

Peter, now you can get a Ultimate 11 for $10K and use it to key in the camera, and get all those adjustments back.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Live Production