New Set up for Tech School

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

paulmhopkins

New Set up for Tech School

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 3:31 am

I am in a new school that has had a slow first year, but will be bulging to 2400 students next year. I want to make my role as the TV/Broadcast/Editing/Radio teacher. The school has a dedicated media lab with iMacs, Radio Broadcast, and Green Screen Room with the equipment listed below.

I have been hitting some walls, as I am trying to find a work flow that will be able to have students putting out weekly, slick, well produced news bulletins.

My challenges have arisen from trying to get all three cameras to be able to use 1 upstream key (others are greyed out) which is set to Chroma for the green screen.I have some stills in the media bin as the background and it is working OK

My understanding is that my set-up (see below) will only allow the use of 1 upstream key, so I can only use one camera source for color/gain settings. It work well on one camera, but not on the other two but require tweaking to color and gain due to the slight variations in position and zoom. (The iris and white balance settings are the same)

Maybe I am overlooking something, but the only video tutorial I was able to see, where someone was switching from a shot using an upstream key to another shot using a upstream key, was to have another one avaialable. (which I don't.)

So maybe a solution is to just shoot everything with the green screen and edit it later in Final Cut, and adding backgrounds, lower thirds and transitions then.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Paul

3xBlack Magic Cameras/Tripods
1xBlack Magic Studio Production Switcher (older 6 input model)
1xHyperdeck Studio 2 (with 2 sans disk SSD)
ATEM 1/ME Broadcast Panel
Green Screen curtain/floor with 4 x light bays illuminating screen only.
3xLED lights on stands
My own personal Sony PMW Ex1r which I was finally able to connect via HDM (will try SDI next.)
Mac Pro Late 2013 (trash can)
Mac Book Pro Retina (can't connect via HDMI input yet. Need an adaptor)

Tom_Bassford

Re: New Set up for Tech School

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 12:35 am

You need to program macros to switch your USK source and apply the correct settings for each angle whilst also switching the BG to the correct perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Return to Live Production