Question about ATEM Television Studio HD

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

julian.urban

Question about ATEM Television Studio HD

PostSat May 06, 2017 5:14 pm

I am planning on purchasing the ATEM Television Studio HD for my school's broadcast course. We are also planning on getting the Web Presenter and some consumer camcorders. We would like to be able to broadcast using the ATEM in one room, and then have a camera set up in another room and be able to switch to this camera. However, we don't want cables running all around the school. Is there a way that I can wirelessly link cameras to the ATEM that is affordable?

TomPWilson

Re: Question about ATEM Television Studio HD

PostTue May 09, 2017 12:26 am

How far are you trying to go? Even wireless links can usually only go a relatively short distance. If you're talking about going from a studio to a production booth, you might be able to get by with a consumer wireless HDMI kit. However, those typically use the already crowded 2.4GHz spectrum. (Think WiFi interference.)

There are certainly products that advertise being able to transmit HDMI for runs of less than 100 feet. The Blackbird Pro looks promising, as it uses 60GHz, so you're not going to get WiFi interference. I might even get one of those myself, so I can set up a mobile camera rig for shooting weddings.

Denny Smith

PostTue May 09, 2017 1:32 am

If the two tools are adjacent with a common wall, you can rig a cable pass thru box in the wall, connect cameras on one side, and connect the ATEM from the other side. All cables are kept in their respective rooms, camera cables in shooting room, ATEM connection cables and monitors in the other. A monitor feed can also be passed thru to give "Studio" room a monitor for the floor manager/director.
DS
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Kenny Shem

PostTue May 09, 2017 7:46 am

Basically there are 3 ways you can send the video feed to ATEM.
1) Cable
2) Wireless HDMI
3) Live streaming

If you don't want option 1. You can choose option 2 but note that depending on the location and distance between camera and atem, there could be interference from other wireless devices or walls. If you can have a clear line of sight, wireless HDMI can work well, otherwise it's very unpredictable.
Option 3 is is to live stream the video signal to CDN and have a laptop next to ATEM to download the stream and input to ATEM thru HDMI cable. This method will introduce delay in your broadcast and you need reliable internet connection for both. You also need an encoder at your camera such as Teradek Vidiu.

The cheapest option will always be cable if you are doing this regularly. Just setup the cable once and you can use it for every broadcast. Professional wireless HDMI set is very expensive too.

Thomas Seewald

PostTue May 09, 2017 9:23 am

I know, wireless connection would be very versatile, but cheep RF-transmission works only sure at short distances and better stuff is very more expensive. So I would suggest to use SDI-cables. They are easy to install and can be used for analog or digital video. A cheep HDMI to SDI converter (if not from BM then from China - sorry BM) does the job converting consumer cameras to SDI.

If you decide to use cables, I would suggest to lay more than one SDI cable, maybe two or three (e.g. for two cameras and a video return) and also some audio cables which can be used for microphones, monitoring or intercom. This would be broadcast-studio-like for a broadcast course....
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

julian.urban

PostTue May 09, 2017 1:21 pm

Kenny Shem wrote:Basically there are 3 ways you can send the video feed to ATEM.
1) Cable
2) Wireless HDMI
3) Live streaming

If you don't want option 1. You can choose option 2 but note that depending on the location and distance between camera and atem, there could be interference from other wireless devices or walls. If you can have a clear line of sight, wireless HDMI can work well, otherwise it's very unpredictable.
Option 3 is is to live stream the video signal to CDN and have a laptop next to ATEM to download the stream and input to ATEM thru HDMI cable. This method will introduce delay in your broadcast and you need reliable internet connection for both. You also need an encoder at your camera such as Teradek Vidiu.

The cheapest option will always be cable if you are doing this regularly. Just setup the cable once and you can use it for every broadcast. Professional wireless HDMI set is very expensive too.

I was actually informed about the Vidiu through my school's IT professional but presented using a mobile app for the iPad Pro. What's CDN, and how would I use the encoders to send video to the ATEM? Also, cable might not work because we are intending on going far distances and possibly many different rooms in the school. Wireless cables might not be very reliable because of me needing to go far distances.

Jack Fairley

PostTue May 09, 2017 2:27 pm

TomPWilson wrote:I2sNYaAnMH8P8HAQ]Blackbird Pro[/url] looks promising, as it uses 60GHz

60GHz stuff works, but it requires line of sight.

OP, you can either run SDI between the rooms, or go with an IP solution. Don't know if they're shipping yet, but a pair of the Teranex Mini IP converters would do it. Plenty of JPEG2000 encoder/decoder solutions out there, too. Somehow I think your school would prefer to run one cable than spend $1000+ on converters :D
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

TomPWilson

PostTue May 09, 2017 11:55 pm

julian.urban wrote:
Kenny Shem wrote:Basically there are 3 ways you can send the video feed to ATEM.
1) Cable
2) Wireless HDMI
3) Live streaming

I was actually informed about the Vidiu through my school's IT professional but presented using a mobile app for the iPad Pro. What's CDN, and how would I use the encoders to send video to the ATEM? Also, cable might not work because we are intending on going far distances and possibly many different rooms in the school. Wireless cables might not be very reliable because of me needing to go far distances.

A CDN is a Content Delivery Network. That's a third party service you push your stream out to; the CDN takes that stream and serves it up to Internet users. You don't need one for cam-to-switcher streaming. Instead, you just need an encoder (which can be a computer or a dedicated box) and something in your studio that can receive video from the encoder and display it (this would usually be a computer.)

PC to PC streaming is very easy to do; you just need a webcam server of some sort, a webcam interface (like the BlackMagic Web Presenter), and software on the client PC to play the stream. (A web browser, Media Player, VLC, etc.)

One example of a webcam program: http://www.yawcam.com/

Here's something for the slightly more tech-savvy: https://github.com/trailofbits/tubertc

Here's another Roll It Yourself app using JavaScript and WebRTC: https://www.pubnub.com/blog/2015-08-25- ... avascript/

julian.urban

PostWed May 10, 2017 12:20 pm

TomPWilson wrote:
julian.urban wrote:
1) Cable
2) Wireless HDMI
3) Live streaming

A CDN is a Content Delivery Network. That's a third party service you push your stream out to; the CDN takes that stream and serves it up to Internet users. You don't need one for cam-to-switcher streaming. Instead, you just need an encoder (which can be a computer or a dedicated box) and something in your studio that can receive video from the encoder and display it (this would usually be a computer.)

PC to PC streaming is very easy to do; you just need a webcam server of some sort, a webcam interface (like the BlackMagic Web Presenter), and software on the client PC to play the stream. (A web browser, Media Player, VLC, etc.)

One example of a webcam program: censored

Here's something for the slightly more tech-savvy: censored

Here's another Roll It Yourself app using JavaScript and WebRTC: censored/

So from my understanding, I can set up a Vidiu encoder to stream to a computer and then be received by Yawcam. But then how can I get it to the encoder?

Return to Live Production