Which HDMI>SDI-converter for "Canon HF R67"-camcorder ?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Jaap deWinter

Which HDMI>SDI-converter for "Canon HF R67"-camcorder ?

PostSun May 07, 2017 12:33 pm

I have 2 consumer "Canon HF R67" camera's which I connect over HDMI to mu Atem TVS.
But now I want to use longer SDI-cables so I need to use HDMI>SDI-converters.
There seems to be 1 problem ; these Canon-camera's wants to see what resolution the "receiving-side" supports.
the manual says "The camcorder adjusts the output resolution based on the capability of the HDTV".

I have to 2 cheap chinese converters which works for semi-professionals camera's like my good old JVC GY-HM100.
But the combination with the Canon HF R67 : No Go.

Will the BMD Micro Converters or BMD Mini Converters work ?
(so they need "to tell" the camera's what resolution is expected)

TomPWilson

Re: Which HDMI>SDI-converter for "Canon HF R67"-camcorder ?

PostTue May 09, 2017 12:16 am

Which ATEM box are you using? From what I'm hearing, the ATEM switchers are more picky about resolution and frame rate on the SDI ports. So while your cameras may work fine at 60FPS on the HDMI ports, the ATEM may need a more precise 59.94 on the SDI port.

I keep reading that the Decimator is the solution to all these frame rate problems; I just got the Decimator MD-HX for a similar issue (some of my devices can only do 1080p, and I need to make them all 1080i to support my full signal chain.)

The other thing that might help is an EDID emulator. EDID is the code used by display devices to tell the source device what the display can handle. An EDID emulator will basically feed whatever configuration you want back to your camera, so you can lock it in to a specific resolution.

However, the cost for a decent EDID emulator and a good SDI converter are going to run more than the Decimator, so I'd try the Decimator first.

Return to Live Production