USB mixing board as audio source

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

beamlander

USB mixing board as audio source

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 5:58 am

Hi,

As I am looking through the different options when it comes to getting audio into the ATEM TVS I can't help but wonder if there is a way to select a USB connected mixer as the audio source.

For example the http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/1204USB.aspx I am guessing that as the audio mixer outputs a stereo mix via USB it should be able to be selected as the audio source. Has anyone ever tried that method.

Please let me know,

Tim Haigh

Re: USB mixing board as audio source

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 6:16 am

I don't how that would work as the USB port on the TVS is a host port not a device port like you find on a PC.
Freelance A/V Engineer
Always Available for Hire

beamlander

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 6:29 am

So much for that theory. Thank you for your answer.
I guess I have to go with the http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DEQ2496.aspx.

There has to be an easier way but there isn't. I spent endless hours researching this already. The AES/EBU conversion is needed as well as the delay feature in the Ultracurve. However now that the HDMI inputs carry audio one channel could be used to inject the audio from an audio mixer. does that sound correct?

beamlander

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 6:55 am

As an other option. Would the "Mini Converter HDMI to SDI - $295" work for this?

There would be a source connected via the HDMI connection and the mixer via the analog inputs which then will be embedded into the SDI output. This can be connected to the ATEM TVS via one of the SDI inputs.

Hopefully this makes more sense ...

Tim Haigh

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 7:34 am

It really depends on what your doing and how much control you need. I use a DataVideo switcher and a Hyperdeck Studio to record and I need a lot of control so I mix and delay the audio and then use a Audio to SDI converter to add the audio to the SDI stream. If I was using an ATEM I would use that to embed the audio. But I would wait to embed until the output stage of the system.
Freelance A/V Engineer

beamlander

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 2:36 pm

Thank you for your advice. I am trying to use it for live events. Planning to hook up two computers, a camera and at least five microphones through a mixing board. Will this HDMI to SDI converter function with the ATEM TVS as imagined? As I am putting together a proposal for this equipment I want to make sure it will function as planned. The mixing board will be hooked up to the HDMI to SDI then to the ATEM SDI in.

Thanks again.

Tim Haigh

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 3:58 pm

Well the biggest question is what is your output? Recorder, if so what? Web stream?
Freelance A/V Engineer

beamlander

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 5:12 pm

I am trying to record the final mix and stream it at the same time. It will also be displayed via projection. The live portion can be handled by outputting the audio mix from the mixing board directly however I would need to run the audio into the ATEM TVS for streaming and recording. Will there be a delay if I use the HDMI to SDI converter which has the analog audio ins?

I am planning to get an HDMI signal into the converter from a laptop then run the audio mixing board outputs to the analog inputs of the converter to get the required SDI feed to the ATEM with audio.

Tim Haigh

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 5:22 pm

Depending on what your using to record and stream those devices may have analog audio inputs in which case just use those and make your life simple. Using the HDMI converter like that should work but I do not have an ATEM TVS at this point so I cannot confirm.
Freelance A/V Engineer

beamlander

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 5:47 pm

Thank you Tim,

Could someone confirm this theory? Running audio into the ATEM TVS via the analog inputs of the HDMI to SDI converter? As far as I know now the ATEM receives audio via its SDI and HDMI inputs. Is there any audio delay with this set-up?

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/138909/miniconverterhdmitosdi.png

Thank you again.

Return to Live Production