ATEM HD with Capture Dongle for Streaming?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Aaron Utley

ATEM HD with Capture Dongle for Streaming?

PostWed May 10, 2017 4:25 am

So I have been pulling my 1080 HDMI source into my laptop for streaming using an HDMI dongle that works flawlessly. Since the Web Presenter scales down to 720 and I need to be able to stream at 1080, can I use my cap card to pull the signal from the ATEM Studio HD into my PC? It seems so, but I wanted to make sure before pulling the trigger on this switcher. I am upgrading from one HDMI camera to 3, plus two USB webcams and need a switcher to manage the HDMI sources.

THX!

Chris McClement

Re: ATEM HD with Capture Dongle for Streaming?

PostWed May 10, 2017 11:58 pm

Check the Tech specs of the TV Studio HD for what resolutions+frame rate it can output and then compare that to the HDMI dongle's specs for what it can import. You need to have those match up. If they do, they'll be fine.

TomPWilson

PostThu May 11, 2017 12:23 am

Aaron Utley wrote:So I have been pulling my 1080 HDMI source into my laptop for streaming using an HDMI dongle that works flawlessly. Since the Web Presenter scales down to 720 and I need to be able to stream at 1080, can I use my cap card to pull the signal from the ATEM Studio HD into my PC? It seems so, but I wanted to make sure before pulling the trigger on this switcher. I am upgrading from one HDMI camera to 3, plus two USB webcams and need a switcher to manage the HDMI sources.

THX!

The TVSHD only puts out SDI, but you can easily convert that to HDMI. I strongly suggest getting a Decimator scaler/converter to convert the TVSHD's output to HDMI for your capture device. Since the Decimator has a scaler, it will allow you to capture at your capture device's best resolution while running your TVSHD's sources at their best resolution.

Remember that ATEM switchers require that all of the inputs use the same resolution and frame rate, and if you're buying consumer cameras, they'll just pick 1080P60 without any input on your part. Since other video equipment also likes 1080P60 and computers like 1080P60, that's really where you want to run the ATEM box.

So to summarize: yes, you can use the TVSHD to switch for your web stream. Use a Decimator to convert to HDMI.

Aaron Utley

PostThu May 11, 2017 7:06 am

TomPWilson wrote:The TVSHD only puts out SDI, but you can easily convert that to HDMI. I strongly suggest getting a Decimator scaler/converter to convert the TVSHD's output to HDMI for your capture device. Since the Decimator has a scaler, it will allow you to capture at your capture device's best resolution while running your TVSHD's sources at their best resolution.

Remember that ATEM switchers require that all of the inputs use the same resolution and frame rate, and if you're buying consumer cameras, they'll just pick 1080P60 without any input on your part. Since other video equipment also likes 1080P60 and computers like 1080P60, that's really where you want to run the ATEM box.

So to summarize: yes, you can use the TVSHD to switch for your web stream. Use a Decimator to convert to HDMI.

Killer. I thought so, but was not aware that ATEM only kicked out SDI. I will track down this Decimator converter as I am not familiar with it.

THX much! No AV or production experience, so every new thing is a totally new stumble around in the dark for me. :)

TomPWilson

PostFri May 12, 2017 1:06 am

Aaron Utley wrote:
TomPWilson wrote:The TVSHD only puts out SDI, but you can easily convert that to HDMI. I strongly suggest getting a Decimator scaler/converter to convert the TVSHD's output to HDMI for your capture device. Since the Decimator has a scaler, it will allow you to capture at your capture device's best resolution while running your TVSHD's sources at their best resolution.

Killer. I thought so, but was not aware that ATEM only kicked out SDI. I will track down this Decimator converter as I am not familiar with it.

THX much! No AV or production experience, so every new thing is a totally new stumble around in the dark for me. :)

I came into all this with no experience with digital production, and I've learned a lot over the last 2 years with the original ATEM TV Studio, and I'm excited to be moving forward with the new unit.

Gary Colon

PostFri May 12, 2017 1:33 pm

Aaron Utley wrote:So I have been pulling my 1080 HDMI source into my laptop for streaming using an HDMI dongle that works flawlessly. Since the Web Presenter scales down to 720 and I need to be able to stream at 1080, can I use my cap card to pull the signal from the ATEM Studio HD into my PC? It seems so, but I wanted to make sure before pulling the trigger on this switcher. I am upgrading from one HDMI camera to 3, plus two USB webcams and need a switcher to manage the HDMI sources.

THX!

There are SDI-USB3.0 solutions out there.

I am in such case where I'm putting together a mobile solution so I dont carry around my desktop and eliminate all unnecessary equipment/wires.

If youre using Mac...you can use the Ultrastudio Mini Thunderbolt.

If youre using Windows...there are other solutions that have SDI-USB3.0. From the ATEM you go into the dongle via SDI. No SDI/HDMI converter needed. Plug your cams into the ATEM > Dongle > Comp.

TomPWilson

PostSun May 14, 2017 6:10 am

Gary Colon wrote:

THX!

I am in such case where I'm putting together a mobile solution so I dont carry around my desktop and eliminate all unnecessary equipment/wires.

If youre using Windows...there are other solutions that have SDI-USB3.0. From the ATEM you go into the dongle via SDI. No SDI/HDMI converter needed. Plug your cams into the ATEM > Dongle > Comp.

Just so you know, the Ultrastudio Mini caps out at 1080i59 It won't do 1080p59. Or so I've read. I couldn't get a picture on mine, but I think I also need new SDI cables.

Gary Colon

PostMon May 15, 2017 2:43 pm

TomPWilson wrote:
Gary Colon wrote:

THX!

Just so you know, the Ultrastudio Mini caps out at 1080i59 It won't do 1080p59. Or so I've read. I couldn't get a picture on mine, but I think I also need new SDI cables.

I never got around to using the Ultrastudio Mini because...Mac lol.

Not a Mac fan and my budget was made for one or its Windows equivalent with Thunderbolt.

So I went with another product that Im not mentioning because I dont know the rules here. But its SDI to USB 3 and it does full 1080p60

TomPWilson

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 8:01 pm

Gary Colon wrote:So I went with another product that Im not mentioning because I dont know the rules here. But its SDI to USB 3 and it does full 1080p60

I'd actually like to know what your solution was. I'm trying to transition off the Mac, but I don't want a full size PC in the sound booth, either. (I'm currently using a NUC to control the ATEM and our monitor mixer.)

I've thought about going with a DeckLink card, but that requires a desktop PC with a PCIe slot. I could build one, but that really limits my portability when I want to record outdoors. So I'm trying to stick with laptop friendly solutions.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 10:24 pm

Well there are a few good options around for USB 3. Magwell and Aja U-Tap for example will do the job if you are in need of a USB capture that is surely going to work.

Or the new Atem mini will also give you 1080P on USB 2.0 even. And will present itself in windows like a HD Webcam. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

scotmacman

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 11:46 pm

Aaron, much as though I love the Decimator (I have two) the BMD UpDownCross HD will do the job you need for half the price. I only have Decimators because the UpDownCross HD didn’t exist when I bought them!

Return to Live Production